Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Simpson Pine Partscaster

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by Mike Simpson, Aug 12, 2007.

1. JohnnyAtomic

JohnnyAtomic Tele-Afflicted

Mar 18, 2003
    Little Rock, AR
    here's how I keep the edges from rolling. Nails, lots of nails.

[​IMG]

2. straightface

straightface Friend of Leo's

Nov 17, 2006
    MA
    Wow, Mike, that is a real beauty! Nice leather work too.

3. Hiflyer

Hiflyer Tele-Holic

Mar 31, 2006
    Calais
    WOW .. SUPERB !!
    Congratulations, very good work.

Chris

4. Home Grown Tele

Home Grown Tele Tele-Holic

Aug 21, 2006
    The Queens
    Love that pickguard Johnny!!

5. Joe Chaney

Joe Chaney Tele-Meister

Sep 3, 2007
    aude, France
    i cannot get enough of that guitar, i want it

6. OLD-EX360

OLD-EX360 NEW MEMBER!

Sep 26, 2007
    AUSTRALIA
    That looks awesome !. I was just hinting around google seeing if i was the only one using pine !. I didnt realize the old telecasters were made of pine :eek:. I just recently made a new body for my Ibanez out of pine, imo it sounds absoulutely brilliant !.

Im no where near the craftsman you guys are , but check it out if you like

http://www.ibanez.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=11018&PN=1

..Again , great job on that telecaster. Those leather scratchplates are realy nice too ! , gee i love the whole guitar , nice job , congrats :eek:

7. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

Thanks again for the guidance, Mike.

I've got a bunch of ash and alder bodies drying in various stages of preparedness.

I think the shellac is a superb choice for any type of pine or coniferous guitar wood; it is exceptionally well suited to contain any resins present in that wood.
    I ended up simply 'washing' the hardwood bodies twice with unwaxed shellac to fill the grain as much as possible, then sanded and applied the clear nitro gloss over that. Much better leveling with the shellac under there, much less waiting with the shellac in the wood not coating it. I'll have to impart that warm glow a guitar body needs (that yours has in spades) through using tinted nitro or just enough nitro and enough time.

Very inspirational project, thanks for posting.

Bubbanov

8. Gareth John

Gareth John Tele-Afflicted

Oct 10, 2006
    England
    I love it, I want one. I have some spare leather I ripped from an old sofa, wonder if that'll work....

9. skyboltone

skyboltone Tele-Meister

Oct 3, 2007
    Sparks, NV
    Well, I can see I need to be patient before making choices on my tele build. I hadn't considered finishing myself because I hate that kind of work, but how in the heck would you explain all that to a get it in get it out finishing department at a body builder?

Stunning guitar mister

Dan H

10. cbnutt

cbnutt Tele-Afflicted

Jun 7, 2006
    lebanon missouri
    lol well this thread and another i seen does it ! i have to get a black leather gaurd !! i want something along the line of big mikes but black who can make it for me and how much ??

11. jhogsten

jhogsten TDPRI Member

Jan 30, 2004
    Flatwoods Ky 41139
    here is mine before i got the pickups in. No finish, just five coats of tounge oil. I thought about putting some stain on but decided to go natural. I like it. I put on Don Mares pickups and they sound great.

Attached Files:

12. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 19, 2006
    Gilbert, AZ (PHX)
    jhogsten, That's a nice lookin' Pinecaster ya have... I like the knots.

My second Pinecaster has a small knot in it. Here is a pic of my next Pinecaster....
    [​IMG]

13. jhogsten

jhogsten TDPRI Member

Jan 30, 2004
    Flatwoods Ky 41139
    thats going to be a nice looking piece. I think my next one is going to be more blonde like yours and I would like to go any more rustic kind of like the way your going there. I think Ill stick with just the tounge oil. It almost looks like it has a finish on it. Im also going to build a strat. I just love the pine. Mine weighs in just under six pounds

14. Big Tony

Big Tony Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2003
    Sweden, by golly!
    That's a great-looking pinecaster!

Lovely grain pattern, and the leather pickguard is just right.

Good work, Mike!

/ Tony

15. fenderix

fenderix Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 17, 2003
    Europe
    Congratulations Big Mike! :)

That's a beautiful Telecaster - lovely woodgrain on the body and a very nice leather pickguard.

You should be proud of your work!

16. Arlo

Arlo Friend of Leo's

Jul 22, 2006
    Upta Camp
    Schaweeeeeeeeeet Mike!! Love that Pinecaster!

17. OaklandA

OaklandA Friend of Leo's

Jun 18, 2004
    Queen Creek, AZ
    Mike, that is really a tremendous job you did there. Wouldn't be surprised if your inbox fills up with "can you build me one?" inquiries.

Really fine looking Tele.

18. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 19, 2006
    Gilbert, AZ (PHX)
    Thanks Guys, I am really happy with how it came out. I owe thanks to many TDPRI members for posting up their opinions and what worked well for them and from their experiences I picked what I wanted and tried to add a touch of my own. It is kinda hard to get a photo that shown the body well with a flash, there is a "silkyness" to the grain that looks different from different angles. I will have to try some non flash photos when I get a chance.

Arlo, did you notice the second pinecaster #2 body above, I bought #2 from "Pinemart". I was planning on an opaque Daphne blue for #2 but if the grain looks nice with a wash coat of shellac I probably will finish it an some natural amber finish too... I hate to cover up nicely grained wood.

OaklandA, You are local here (I'm in Gilbert), if you want to check it out sometime let me know or if you are playing somewhere let me know.

19. austintele

austintele Tele-Afflicted

May 1, 2004
    austin, texas
    Man, I'm jones'n for a pine tele. Might get a glendale for xmas if things work out

20. Colt W. Knight

Colt W. Knight Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Jan 21, 2007
    Tucson, AZ
    Is the handle on the bigsby supposed to be a branding iron handle?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.