Simple and natural finishes for pine

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by RLee77, May 19, 2019.

1. RLee77

RLee77 Friend of Leo's

I have an old pine dresser I’m refinishing, and although it’s not guitar shaped, I thought I’d ask here for advice on what types of finishes others like on pine. I want a natural-looking finish that maybe darkens the wood slightly, but not too much, dries odor-free after 3 or 4 days (or a week at most), and is non-glossy. I like finishes that enhance the grain, so maybe a danish oil type? Don’t want to spend too much time on it (would rather get back to my guitar-related projects!).

nojazzhere likes this.
  2. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Sunburst.

3. TeleTucson

TeleTucson Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Well I'm certainly not a purist and want a finish that can stand up to a little abuse. I'd get a light stain as desired and use water-based satin or matte urethane. I know ... not the natural finish you are looking for ... I can feel the rocks flying my way already ... :eek::D

RLee77 likes this.
  4. RLee77

RLee77 Friend of Leo's

That’s not a bad idea... do the stain to enhance the grain, then use a water-base coating to avoid the lingering odors.

5. dogmeat

dogmeat Tele-Holic

Minwax stain and then the're rub on poly. I just did a whole kitchen with the stuff & was impressed

RLee77 likes this.
  6. sleazy pot pie

sleazy pot pie Tele-Afflicted

Shellac works great on pine
    You can buy the flakes and mix your own

You can mix garnet and blonde/platinum together to get a nice dark color.
    Just be careful with the garnet as it will get orange on you as you add layers.

You can apply it with pieces of old t shirt or get a preval unit if you don’t have a spray rig.

RLee77 likes this.
  7. RLee77

RLee77 Friend of Leo's

I was thinking about shellac, since it’s my favorite finish to work with, and I already have various flakes and a preval set. No issues with obnoxious odors either.

8. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Friend of Leo's

Birchwood Casey Tru-Oil. I would use a coat or two of Birchwood Casey Sealer & Filler and then very thin coats of Tru-Oil. I have a thread on here about my build where I used it. You can do as little as 3 to 5 coats for a matte finish or many more for a semi-gloss or a gloss finish. On mine, I did 15 coats on the neck and 30 on the body. Very easy to work with.

9. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Friend of Leo's

Hoping to try shellac myself on a refin over winter break. I've seen great results from that from a number of people's builds.

10. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Tele-Afflicted

I have totally different approaches to finishing furniture and a guitar. I've built pine bodied guitars and finished with both nitro and TruOil - neither would be my choice for a dresser. I would probably use simple old tung oil or one of the wipe on furniture finishes - you aren't look for gloss or depth or protection from sweat. Shellac is always a good choice but might not stand up as well as some of the oil finishes.

RLee77 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.