silverface twin grill

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by duffer426, May 18, 2019.

1. duffer426

duffer426 TDPRI Member

Here is the grill off the 72 twin reverb I traded for. It was held on by 4 screws drilled right through the vintage grill clothI didn`t even notice it while making the trade.The frame was split where the screw went into it,the frame is warped it`s made out of particle board, so I ordered a new frame and grill cloth from mojo tone. can`t believe someone would put screws through that grill cloth. IMG_0795.JPG IMG_0796.JPG IMG_0797.JPG IMG_0798.JPG IMG_0799.JPG IMG_0800.JPG

2. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

The velcro doesnt hold. I usually put screws in from the back though. BTW, I have a vintage frame with no cloth for one.

Wally likes this.
  3. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's

That doesn't surprise me at all really. Not evrybody is concerned about re-sale or true to original desgin with their amps. They just want them to work and will use what-ever at hand to keep them together.

Teleterr likes this.
  4. Bill Moore

Bill Moore Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

The grill velcro is one of the few things that still work on the 79 Twin I picked up. The baffle is cracked, some corners are loose, and the tolex is rough! I plan on installing it in a Mojo cab I have my Twin clone in now. (The clone is moving to a head).

5. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

I'd probably try to reuse that old grill cloth on the new frame even with the holes. The new stuff has zero mojo and makes the amp look like a reissue. Maybe the "aged" stuff is better?
    On my 65 BFTR that'd been cut into a head, then got stretched back out, I used the "Original Fender" black tolex and grill cloth. It looked like a new TRRI and drove me nuts. So I ordered blonde tolex and oxblood cloth, so at least it wouldn't look like a TRRI.
    Then Fender came out with a blonde/oxblood TRRI. . . . .

Teleterr likes this.
  6. Old duck

Old duck TDPRI Member

Form follows function.....it works!

Teleterr and BobbyZ like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.