Silverface Princeton Reverb Help Please

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by Man Of Tone, Apr 4, 2013.

1. Man Of Tone

Man Of Tone TDPRI Member

Hey Everyone, I have a Silverface Princeton Reverb I am guessing between a 78 to and 80 due to the push/pull volume pot.

I have replaced the original oxford speaker with and Eminence Legend and it sounds great. Love this amp, The only thing that is bothering me is that it still has some "flub" on the bottom end when the amp is pushed, thought the speaker would cure this and it did help but I would like to know what I need to do to eliminate this so the amp wont "Crap Out" when you get aggressive with the big E string.

Thank you so much

2. DavidP

DavidP Friend of Leo's

You need one of these...

Check out Dave Allen's 'upgrade' output transformers -- a T020 or T022 would take care of the flub!!

3. max_twang

max_twang Tele-Afflicted

The T020 helped my Princeton (NR), as did a more efficient speaker. Also, I keep the bass turned down fairly low when the amp is cranked.

4. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

Has the amp been serviced? New E caps helped my old PR alot in the low end flub department. I'd make sure it's running right before you decide to upgrade the OT.
    But in the end a PR is still a PR so you may need the upgrades.

5. telex76

telex76 Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

+1 on getting new electrolytic caps put in.

6. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

There are about five factors that contribute to the flub. Fixing one or two helps. Lotta guys change the speaker and / or the OT and call it good.

These things can be tweaked into a real "Baby Black Panel" more like a miniature Super Reverb.

7. Man Of Tone

Man Of Tone TDPRI Member

Thanks everyone for the helpful tips and advice. I was told that it just came out of the shop when I got it, it works great all except the flub.

Just interested, muchxs could you tell me more about the 5 factors your talking about?

Thanks again!

8. DenisS

DenisS Tele-Meister

Many of the silverface have too much open area between the baffle and chassis.

Get a piece of surgical tubing and fill the gap at the top of the baffle.

This will keep your mids from thining out, and go far to help with the flub.

I put chokes and screen resitors in my Princetons to alleviate the flub problem. Also helps immensely.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.