Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Silverface bassman 50

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by slimpickins, Dec 1, 2012.

1. xafinity

xafinity Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Dec 24, 2015
    my Mom's basement
    OP was 5 years ago.
    I wonder if he ever bought it?

telemnemonics likes this.

2. Axis29

Axis29 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Jan 2, 2007
    Virginia, USA
    I recently sold my Bassman 50. I used to run it through a home built 2x10 open back cab. It was a fantastic set up. I don't think you can go wrong with one of these beasties.

RedRock and TheodoreTelevelt like this.

3. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    The Bassman 50 is a direct descendant of the AB165. Those three gain stages make for a lively amp that is hot when pushed. They are great platforms for mods, too....and can be made into very gainy amps if desired.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2017
    RedRock and Axis29 like this.

4. TheodoreTelevelt

TheodoreTelevelt TDPRI Member

Apr 10, 2017
    Philly
    I was rehearsing with my band the other night (loud 4 piece rock band). After running my tele through a borrowed 70's Bassman 50 through it's 2x15" cabinet, I noticed something - the lower guitar strings, 6 and 5, were really loud, bass heavy, and boomy. To compensate, I had the bass knob quite low and the bright switch on. However, the higher, thinner gauged strings were very weak sounding. Waaay less volume. Any type of articulation in my playing on the higher strings was buried in the mix.

My question is, is this characteristic of all bassmans, silverface bassmans, or 15" speakers perhaps?

I normally play a Twin Reverb '65 reissue. So, pretty different amp all around for me.

Thanks!

5. Wally

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    Ime, that is not normal. One would want to know what speakers are there...but I dont' suspect the speakers in this case. I would think that the amp is in need of servicing. IMho, it is dangerous to borrow equipment...especially if the equipment has not been properly maintained. One might get caught trying to balance out a friendship with an amp that catastrophically failed while it was borrowed. Fwiw, the Normal channel in that amp is a hotter version of the Normal channel in your TR.
    It has one more gain stage, but the tone stack is the same as in that TR.

TheodoreTelevelt likes this.

6. Axis29

Axis29 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Jan 2, 2007
    Virginia, USA
    While my Bassman 50 could be boomy if I got crazy with it, it really was more of a typical Black/Silverface Fender tone to me.

I ran mine through a 2x10 cabinet. It sounded a lot like my '69 Vibrolux Reverb with a bit more authority to it. I could run it with relatively normal EQ settings. I never had to push it to any extremes to get a good tone. I ran it with and without the bright switch.

I would suspect either speakers or the amp needing a service. While i do not have a lot of experience with 15" speakers, I wouldn't suggest for a second that they'd make the thinner gauge strings weak sounding! Might be those particular speakers? But, as Wally suggests, an amp service is not a crazy possibility!

TheodoreTelevelt likes this.

7. TheodoreTelevelt

TheodoreTelevelt TDPRI Member

Apr 10, 2017
    Philly
    Maybe it does need to be serviced. I played it again last night. It sounded pretty good on it's own. But once you add in the rest of the band... It was just oddly imbalanced. Very loud and bassy on the low E especially. Higher strings were anemic in comparison. Anyway... Thanks for the feedback, guys.

8. blues bondsman

blues bondsman Tele-Holic

Feb 12, 2012
    Indiana
    With a few simple mods the Bassman 10 can be a very usable and good sounding amp.
    The only Issue I had was finding 32 ohm replacement speakers.
    I ended up with the Jensen Mod 50 32 ohm model and I have to say it sounded pretty good.

RedRock likes this.

9. Flaneur

Flaneur Friend of Leo's

May 24, 2010
    Scotland
    A Bassman head has no design flaws or quirks. Should be perfect, for Theodore's needs- but sounds like it needs servicing.

I have a 2x15 cab, which is too cumbersome to gig with. The extra bottom end girth it provides shouldn't (and doesn't) impact the volume of the trebles. For rock, I recommend a 2x12, with good Celestions.

10. Wally

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    Fwiw and for general information, a Bassman 10 does not have the same circuit as does the Bassman 50. The Bassman 10 has only two gain stages in each channel versus the three in the Bassman 50.....very different animals, ime.

RedRock likes this.

11. blues bondsman

blues bondsman Tele-Holic

Feb 12, 2012
    Indiana
    Not sure how my reply relates to your statement Wally ?
    It is certainly not a Bassman 50 watt head, however can be made to sound pretty good in it's own category as a combo amp with it's own sound.
    That being said the prices now being asked for these amps is crazy when you consider the whole package and the fact that Fender called them Bassman at all is probably the main reason for the high prices asked.
    My first inclination would be to skip the ten and find a Bassman Head 1968 or earlier if possible, however the last Bassman Ten I bought to fool with was sub 300 bucks at a pawn shop and worth every penny after a few simple mods.

12. Wally

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    As I said in my post, my post was for general information. Since this was a thread about the Bassman 50, which is a direct descendant of the AB165 Bassman, I thought that making the observation that the Bassman 10 is a very different amp was useful for those who do not know this. The AB165 and it’s descendants have three gain stages in each channel.....which makes for a very hot guitar amp through that Normal channel. In addition, the channels are in phase. This allows daisy chaining of the channel’s while being in phase. The Bassman 10,like the Bassman 100/135/70 Amps, has only two gain stages in each channel. It makes for a cleaner amp....and I think $300 for a handwired amp like that is a bargain.

13. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    After five years somebody finally answered the seemingly obvious question: Is a Bassman 10 the same amp as a Bassman 50 but in a combo?
    Thanks for providing that useful info!

Good to know this and I love the Bassman heads so would buy one if really cheap, though I do not need another 50w amp.
    For more detail on the difference @Wally , is it only the preamp gain stages that are different in terms of the B10 being a good mod platform? Other parts the same?
    Back in 2012 when the OP asked if it was worth buying there was no price attached, and I generally consider a good price on a 6L6 SF Fender without reverb in questionable condition to be lower than many others seem to think they are "worth".
    So a Bassman 10 in need of repairs might look interesting at around $150 if nice and clean, but I'd probably still pass since the closed back makes it of limited use.
    A Bassman 50 head OTOH is more desirable since they are huge sounding for smaller weight and bulk.
    Knowing that the 10 does not sound like the 50 pretty much kills my interest.
    Maybe the sound is part of the iffy rep the 10 has, not just the weight.
    Not that there might not still be some good use in them, just not a "Bassman sound" for a low price.

Nightclub Dwight likes this.

14. Wally

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    Telemnemonics, there are other differences, but the big difference imho is the difference in gain stages. I really like what the AB165 circuit does for guitar in the Normal channel. I modded an early ‘70’s SF Bassman for a young country player....made the Bass channel a hot, tweedy guitar channel. You might find this unbeleiveable—-I did!!!—-but he was offered $2k for it from the picker who was playing for the headliner out of Nashville. That picker was using a very high dollar boutique amp by a well known builder and had sort of dissed the SF Bassman during pre-gig talk.... but after he heard that SF Bassman he wanted it badly. No sale! Of course, it didn’t hurt that my young friend is one very good young player...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.