Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Silverface bassman 50

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by slimpickins, Dec 1, 2012.

1. slimpickins

slimpickins Tele-Meister

Jul 12, 2011
    Nebraska
    Would someone be kind enough to school me on this amp? I've been offered a 72 4x10 model in great shape for a decent price, but I don't know much about them. Oh and any idea of how much this beast weighs?

2. fauxsuper

fauxsuper Tele-Afflicted

Sep 15, 2007
    San Diego, CA
    RedRock likes this.

3. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 16, 2003
    Memphis TN
    Bassman 50

The Bassman 50 is a head , as mentioned it probably came with a 2-15 cabinet.
    I had one some years ago, they are good sounding amps.

The Bassman 10 as mentioned, was a combo amp, sealed back, not as good sounding as the Bassman 50 and a big heavy amp to haul around.

Attached Files:

4. slimpickins

slimpickins Tele-Meister

Jul 12, 2011
    Nebraska
    That looks like it (the 10) i haven't gone to check it out in person yet... Just cell pics. Any opinions on this amp? Common problems?

5. Tele wacker

Tele wacker Tele-Holic

Jun 15, 2009
    Wichita is nice.
    I have a similar amp that I think is a little cooler than the Bassman 10. I have a Bantam Bass amp and I removed the stupid looking rectangular Yamaha speaker and made a new baffleboard with 4-10's. 30 watts with four 10 inch speakers makes a great amp.
    I'm not knocking your Bassman 10 but just commenting on my amp.

6. slimpickins

slimpickins Tele-Meister

Jul 12, 2011
    Nebraska
    Opinions are welcome, I change amps way too often. Especially when I come across something different. Will this thing work as a country amp?

7. Ringo

Mar 16, 2003
    Memphis TN
    My personal opinion is get something other than the Bassman 10, they don't sound good for bass and not so great for guitar, they are big and heavy too.

You could pick up a Bassman head and get any type cabinet that you want,1-12, 1-15, 2-10, 2-12, 4-10 and you'll have a rig that is easier to haul around and it will sound better.

Just my opinion since you asked.

8. fauxsuper

fauxsuper Tele-Afflicted

Sep 15, 2007
    San Diego, CA
    The only one I've ever seen or heard in use was by a country player, but she was a bass player in a family country band that was heavy on vocals but light on instrumentation. She didn't require much out of an amp, and I remember absolutely nothing about her tone.

I know that isn't much help, but back in the day it was marketed as a Bass amp.

I think it might be more of a collectors piece than anything. What you could do, if the price is right, (I mean really cheap) would be to store the cabinet, and pull the chasis out of it and have a combo cab made for it with 2 x 10 or 1 x 12 or whatever. But, that seems like a lot of trouble, when you could just buy a Bassman head and a cab, probably for less, or some other amp entirely.

But who knows? Plug into it, and if you like the sound------------- But it sort of sounds like a longshot to me.

Oh, and I loved your work in Dr. Strangelove.

9. Paul G.

Paul G. Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2003
    Rhode Island
    It will be as reliable as gravity, well-made with decent components. The Bassman 50 head sounds very nice with guitar, I've never heard the combo version.

It is a simple circuit and can easily be modified and voiced by a competent tech.

P.

10. Excellent guitar amps

I found out about these in 2009, figured I better get one before the price went up out of my reach. Plus they can be rebuilt to last more than my lifetime and the way I looked at it what you gonna get when you buy something new for today's money but nothing close.
    Mine was an ebay find out of a pawn shop in Arkansas. I paid $285.00 and it worked but was rough looking, It had one cap replaced but the rest needed done.
    A buddy did the cap job & a few blackface mods. I redid the cab cause I like tweed, got a new faceplate $ handle from Mike Marsh. Got a Coyote slant cab for 2-10's and put 2 Ragin Cagin's in it. This amp is like my guns, they will have to pry my cold dead fingers off off it!:lol:

Before
    [​IMG]

After (goes well with my partscaster)
    [​IMG]

Now the long and short of it, I got a little over $700.00 into it but I don't think I'd do much better buying something new that would sound this good, take pedals extremely well and be loud enough to gig with and easy to haul around.

Since then I built another cab for it with a Weber Michigan 15 and have a real stack. I just need to recover the slant cab with real tweed.
    [​IMG]

11. Flaneur

Flaneur Friend of Leo's

May 24, 2010
    Scotland
    I echo the recommendation of a Bassman head.... still affordable, easily rebuilt or modded, light and versatile. To answer your other question- they sound good for country, with a Telecaster, of course:)

12. slimpickins

slimpickins Tele-Meister

Jul 12, 2011
    Nebraska
    I've also read that they are easy to mod, so maybe I'll get it as a project amp.

13. Bongocaster

Bongocaster Friend of Leo's

I saw a Punkabilly girl actually playing bass through one (some type of Bassman anyway) live and I thought it worked well for the bombastic rough sound that fit what they were doing. Some kind of Bassman through something four by matching Fender cabinet. I didn't look into it any farther than that.

Probably couldn't get it to purr like a kitty cat or nothin' like that.

Here ya go.

14. Ringo

Mar 16, 2003
    Memphis TN
    OP is about a Bassman 10 apparently

From what I can tell the original post is about a Bassman 10 , which is NOT the same amp as a Bassman 50.
    The SF Bassman 50 heads are great amps, but sound much better than the Bassman 10.

15. slimpickins

slimpickins Tele-Meister

Jul 12, 2011
    Nebraska
    Ringo you are correct, I was mistaken originally about the model.

16. Setyaback

Setyaback Tele-Holic

Jan 6, 2011
    noiseland
    Our bass player has a Bassman 10 combo, think its a '73. For bass, it's a really nice clean, transparent amp -- he plays a vintage mustang bass and it sounds phenomenal, just loads of tasty tone and character with a thick percussive quality. he was playing a modern solid state SWR combo before and the comparison is pretty severe.

but, as a guitar amp, it doesn't hold a candle to my bandmaster reverb, and we compared them w/ strats, teles, jazzmasters, all sorts of pickup configs, different dirt boxes and compression, etc.

now that said, his amp is stock. and he plans to leave it that way because its perfect as a bass amp. If you can get it at a steal and aren't shy of a little work, its a mod-friendly amp with good potential. And I just learned that the two channels are actually in phase with each other, so you can run thru both channels and blend together, which is cool. Check out this article: http://www.premierguitar.com/Magazine/Issue/2010/Dec/Souping_Up_a_Bassman_10.aspx

Good luck!

17. SamClemons

SamClemons Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 23, 2011
    Jasper, TN
    How much?? There is a nice one for sale at a music store here locally for 400

18. Ringo

Mar 16, 2003
    Memphis TN
    I had a Bassman 10 and our former singer / bass player had one, I was not impressed with either one for bass or guitar. They both buzzed and rattled, maybe we just had some duds, or bad cabinets, they are from the later CBS era w the cheaper cabinets MDF , not finger jointed etc...

19. TheodoreTelevelt

TheodoreTelevelt TDPRI Member

Apr 10, 2017
    Philly
    Hey all,

I recently tried a silverface Fender Bassman 50 head. As you probably know, these were usually paired with a 2X15 cabinet. I loved the sound of the 2x15 (I used the Fender closed back one that it pairs with) but I'm looking for something that'll be easier to lug around. I'm guessing there's a way to use a 1x15 cabinet instead.

I'm very tech illiterate (I think if it's 2 speakers they get 4 ohms each and 1 speaker gets 8 ohms...???) so I'm hoping you might have a recommendation for a cab and 15" speaker combo that will work with a bassman 50 head.

If it helps, I liked the sound of whatever was in the original Fender cab.

Thanks!

Rospo likes this.

20. jimash

jimash Tele-Afflicted

Nov 5, 2013
    NJ
    The 1972 SF Bassman head was favorite amplifier of mine back in the day. Mine came with a Traynor 2/12. These amps sound gutsy and bold, give it up at a reasonable level,
    and have a really nice tasty high end. It is also exceeding easy to use, knob twisting-wise.
    Not particularly heavy.
    The 2/15 is hard to deal with. A Fender 2/12 is a frequent companion, and much more compact.
    The Bassman likes 4 ohms. That generally means 2, 8 ohm speakers or one, 4 ohm speaker. These amps usually don't really mind one 8 ohm speaker either.

TheodoreTelevelt likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.