Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Silk & Steel - or - Folk Nylon strings?

Discussion in 'Acoustic Heaven' started by rhh7, Jul 3, 2009.

1. rhh7

rhh7 Tele-Afflicted

I am just getting into serious practice on my acoustic, a Simon & Patrick parlor guitar.

I am trying to practice regularly and build up my fingers, but I find the regular acoustic strings very painful. Since my guitar is such a small body, I had the idea that it might be okay for me to use classical guitar type strings.

What are the pros and cons of the Silk & Steel vs. Folk Nylon. I am strictly interested in comfort and ease of play at this time, rather than volume.

Thanks a million!

Attached Files:

2. jefrs

jefrs Doctor of Teleocity

Beginners should always start on thick nylon but nylon are quite plunky, silk and steel are brighter. Any of the manouche gypsy-jazz strings or argentines, which are lighter than normal acoustic sets. Try regular classical strings, alternatively the Thomastik Classic-S which are steel rope.

3. johnnykf

johnnykf Tele-Holic

I like the folk nylons on an old Harmony student classical I have in the parlor.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. rhh7

rhh7 Tele-Afflicted

Well I dropped my guitar off this morning for a free setup. I am having the Folk Nylon strings put on. Later, when my fingers are stronger, and my callouses are developed, I will go to the Silk & Steel.

Thanks!

6. rhh7

rhh7 Tele-Afflicted

My guitar tech persuaded me to put on medium, 13-56 strings. Am I ever glad! The intonation is perfect, it sounds great, and my fingers are doing just fine!!

7. zombywoof

zombywoof Friend of Leo's

I like the Newtone Heritage strings which have reduced and more equalized tension than steel strings but more ooomph than the silk and steel.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.