Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Silicon Valley Guitar Player

Discussion in 'Welcome Wagon' started by ArchiMark, Oct 6, 2017.

1. ArchiMark

ArchiMark TDPRI Member

Oct 6, 2017
    California
    Hi,

Yep, live and work in Silicon Valley, but not in hi-tech....

Just a pretty nice guy who works hard and wishes he had more time to play guitar as he did in his younger days.

When younger, had a '66 Les Paul Custom and played in rock band with some friends. Then got into jazz. Traded LPC for a nice '68 Epiphone Howard Roberts Custom blonde and played in some informal jazz bands and a stage band one summer. All great fun.

At college I met someone that played classical guitar and studied with him for a year. Later found out he was one of the founding member of the Blue Oyster Cult! He dropped out just before they had their big hit....go figure.

Unfortunately, due to work demands in the profession I entered after college, I gradually reduced playing time to point where I rarely played.

About 10 years ago I traded the HRC for a very nice ol' '51 Epiphone Triumph Regent blonde archtop with Armstrong floating pup. Don't need an amp when playing alone as it really projects!

In the past few months I've tried to play on a more regular basis in order to get my hands back in shape. But it's hard going. Know what I want to do, but left hand has hard time responding the way I want.

Hoping if I stick with it my hands will get in shape. We shall see.

In meantime, I got the Tele bug recently and have been reading lots of forum posts.

Had no idea about the world of partscasters and myriad of pup options, etc...wild!

Debating between getting either a used Baja or Nashville, or partscaster or go whole hog and get one from Ron Kirn....getting dizzy with all of this...

Anyway, look forward to more reading posts and getting input from this great group!

Thanks,

Mark

2. unixfish

unixfish Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free + Supporter

Apr 20, 2013
    Northeast Ohio, USA
    Welcome!

There are a lot of us who slowed down after school and picked back up later in life - you will fit right in.

jannodude, Straydogger and ArchiMark like this.

3. El Famoso

El Famoso TDPRI Member

Sep 16, 2016
    Nashville
    I used to live in Sunnyvale. Miss the weather but not the rent. Welcome!

4. FrankJames

FrankJames Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 9, 2008
    Ohio, USA
    Welcome to the forum, Mark !!

ArchiMark likes this.

5. BadMojo

BadMojo Tele-Meister

Sep 17, 2017
    Maryland
    Welcome!

:)

ArchiMark likes this.

6. Old Tele man

Old Tele man Tele-Afflicted

May 10, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    Welcome aboard. I almost went to work there with Fairchild Semiconductors before they shut down (good thing I didn't).

ArchiMark likes this.

7. gitold

gitold Friend of Leo's

Mar 25, 2009
    Greeley Co.
    Ok welcome to the forum! You need to be initiated. There is no such thing as a 66 Les Paul Custom. Sorry, I am such a a,, hole

Straydogger and ArchiMark like this.

8. GoldDeluxe5E3

GoldDeluxe5E3 Tele-Holic

Aug 5, 2015
    Concord CA
    You can always use another guitar player. Welcome, Mark!

ArchiMark likes this.

9. rad1

rad1 Tele-Meister

Aug 5, 2015
    Santa Cruz CA
    Hit Guitar Center, they have a pretty good collection of Tele's in San Jose. Don't know but there could be one near you. Your gonna need an amp with that Tele. If you thought picking a guitar was complicated wait until you start researching amps.

Many of us are old, hands don't work like they use to....actually, nothing does:(

Straydogger and ArchiMark like this.

10. Flaneur

Flaneur Friend of Leo's

May 24, 2010
    Scotland
    A Craigslist Baja will meet your needs, while you decide what specs to ask Ron Kirn to build to. Of course, you may never reach that point, if the Baja starts to exert it's influence..... ;)

Have fun finding out!

brogh, Deeve, ArchiMark and 1 other person like this.

11. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx

12. ArchiMark

ArchiMark TDPRI Member

Oct 6, 2017
    California
    Thanks, unixfish, that's encouraging!

Live near there, El Famoso....weather is great, but housing is insane....and traffic is even worse now....

Thank you, FrankJames!

Thanks, BadMojo!

Yep, a lot of the original type hi-tech companies are gone now...you were smart...

Thanks, gitold....

Well, I got that guitar back around '69 and it was a few years old at the time, as I recall....and it was a custom....traded it for the HRC around '72.....long time ago...

Amen, GoldDeluxe5E3, and thanks.

rad1, I know where the SJ Guitar Center is, but haven't stopped in yet....been to the San Mateo GC store a few times as it's about 10 minutes from where I work....been pleased with the friendly and helpful staff there and played on several nice Teles there...

And glad to know I'm in good company here, hands wise and otherwise.... :)

Flaneur, Agree and understand your points...

Howdy, right back at ya, brookdalebill!

Thank you all for the welcome and input!

Best,

Mark

13. Rythameen

Rythameen Tele-Meister

Jun 24, 2017
    Las Vegas, Nevada

14. DougM

DougM Tele-Meister

Jul 5, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    I grew up in the San Mateo area and worked as a test tech in Silicon Valley until '95 when I grew tired of the smog and traffic on 101 and moved to Honolulu. Back then there was no GC in San Mateo, only SF, San Jose, and Berkeley. Gelb Music in Redwood City was one of the first Fender dealers in the state. We used to go in there in '65 as ten year olds and drool over all the Teles, Esquires, Strats, Jags, and BF amps of all sizes. My parents got me a Daphne Blue Mustang and Vibro Champ for Christmas that year. Across the street from Gelb was a store called Goetz Bros, which sold office equipment, sporting goods, and musical instruments. You could buy a baseball glove, typewriter, and clarinet all in that one store, as well as Gibson guitars.
    When Mr. Gelb retired, he sold the store to a guy named Kevin Jarvis, who, along with being a great guy and amazing guitar player, was the first guy I ever saw discount instruments. He then became the Gibson dealer, as well as Fender. He was also one of the first MB, PRS, and Tom Anderson dealers in the country. Kevin retired a few years ago and sold Gelb to the guy who owns Haight Ashbury Music. Guitar Showcase in San Jose (a few miles up the road from GC) is a great place for vintage gear. And, Gryphon in Palo Alto is the place for Martins. Co-owner Richard Johnston wrote some of the most definitive books on Martin, and his partner Frank Ford is one of the best vintage repair guys in the business, and trains others how to do repairs and restorations on vintage pieces. Sorry for the long winded post, but you brought back a lot of fond old memories.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2017
    ArchiMark and Obsessed like this.

15. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    Welcome aboard. I lived in Sunnyvale during my career in Silicon Valley until I grew tired of the smog and traffic on 101 and retired early and moved to Montana. DougM named all of the places I hit, while visiting. You'll fit right in.

ArchiMark likes this.

16. ArchiMark

ArchiMark TDPRI Member

Oct 6, 2017
    California
    Thank you, Rythameen!

Lucky you, DougM....traffic is even worse now, with bay area and valley booming...

Yep, Gelb is still there....store is OK now, could be wrong, but doesn't seem quite the same as it used to be...Been in Guitar Showcase some years ago...probably need to check it out again...

Took my '51 Epiphone Triumph Regent to Frank Ford at Gryphon about 6 months ago for some repair and tuneup...great work and very reasonable. That was after showing it to him 10 years before, shortly after getting the Epi. At that time, he said wait awhile before doing any repairs. So, 10 years later, I brought it back...Glad he's still around....a real treasure.

Thanks, Obsessed....glad I've found the right place...

Don't blame you....I think about leaving California quite frequently nowadays....might need to wait a few more years, before going...

Meanwhile, while reading another forum thread, came across the Harley Benton Teles....for el cheapo guitars, people's comments online seem to be that for the $'s they're not bad, and then you can upgrade pups, bridge, etc, if you wish...so, made me think that it might be fun to get one and play around with it...kinda like having a partscaster that someone puts together for you....if you get my drift....hmmmm............

Mark

Obsessed and DougM like this.

17. 5595bassman

5595bassman Tele-Meister

Oct 4, 2009
    Montreal Canada
    Welcome ArchiMark!

Your story is quite similar to mine! I guess we are around the same age.

And I feel the same concerning my hands.

Is the "Archi" in your pseudo related to your profession? Like an architect?

If it is the case then we are some kind of twins. Not exact twins, I was only the bass player in a Rock/Blues band.

ArchiMark likes this.

18. DougM

DougM Tele-Meister

Jul 5, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    I don't know if the Benton guitars are available in the US, just like the Trev Wilkinson designed Vintage brand, which also seem to be quite nice, and are well known in Europe.

ArchiMark likes this.

19. ArchiMark

ArchiMark TDPRI Member

Oct 6, 2017
    California
    Thanks, 5595bassman!

Yes, probably...early 60's...

And you're good guesser, I'm a licensed architect. Although for past 14 years, working as head of a team in a healthcare company that manages the various facilities related projects from remodels to new buildings.

From looking at website, they have option to ship to US via UPS. So seems like they do.

20. 5595bassman

5595bassman Tele-Meister

Oct 4, 2009
    Montreal Canada
    I'm 69 as shown in my profile.

I'm a retired architect since 2008. I was a project manager for the real estate departement of the telephone company for 18 years and a freelance project manager for the following 10 years.

ArchiMark likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.