Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Silent Practice-Anything better than Mustang 1

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by mnutz, Jul 15, 2017.

1. mnutz

mnutz Tele-Afflicted

2. JasonKingsX

JasonKingsX Tele-Meister

May 15, 2017
    Austin
    I tried one and sent it back. It was flexible but the tone wasn't for me.

mnutz likes this.

3. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Friend of Leo's

Oct 29, 2013
    NYC
    Mine is the older G1Xn. I've never run it through an amp, only headphones. But it has so many different amp models and effects, choices of cabinet simulations, and low, mid, and high EQ for each model, that I was able to dial in a lot of sounds that I really like. I programmed ten different patches for Teles, and ten more for Strats.

The only feature in it that I dislike is the noise gate. It's somewhat adjustable, but it's always either ineffective or too obtrusive, so I don't use it. Oh, and the tremolo speed is fixed, not adjustable, which is also a bummer. But who knows? Maybe these features have been improved in the newer version.

mnutz likes this.

4. dkmw

dkmw Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Mar 30, 2016
    Florida USA
    I'm a certified cheapskate on a lot of things but every day I thank goodness that I sprung for a THR-10 as a practice amp. Dead simple to use and just fantastic tones headphones or no. I didn't think I really needed the variety but now I'm glad I have it.

Cliffyg62, JasonKingsX and mnutz like this.

5. Jim622

Jim622 Tele-Meister

Blackstar Fly 3W Mini Amp, I also have an old Korg - Toneworks (can't remember the model) - it even has a couple bass models. It has to 10-15 years old. Still going strong. I know someone who swears by a V-Amp. You could probably get a POD cheap also.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
    mnutz likes this.

6. pete-strych

pete-strych Tele-Holic

Jun 19, 2012
    What inspires me is plugging my guitar straight into my Focusrite interface & opening up my DAW, inserting either S-Gear, Amplitube or EZMix....those virtual guitar sims can all sound amazing when tweaked, seriously great tone!! Headphones or my monitors just kill with those programs.

mnutz likes this.

7. mnutz

mnutz Tele-Afflicted

I decided to order a Vox Stomplab 1.

I'll post up how it sounds with headphones when it gets here.

Thanks for the input everyone!

8. Cliffyg62

Cliffyg62 Tele-Meister

Aug 16, 2015
    West Berlin, nj
    Blackstar fly 3 and nice comfy headphones. My midnight cravings setup... try audio technica 50's

mnutz likes this.

9. Cliffyg62

Cliffyg62 Tele-Meister

Aug 16, 2015
    West Berlin, nj
    Oops, nevermind

10. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Friend of Leo's

Oct 29, 2013
    NYC
    Quoting myself here because it's too late to edit...

I was playing with it again this morning, and I realized that I was mistaken. The tremolo speed is adjustable, but the depth is not.

Anyhoo, good luck with the Vox.

mnutz likes this.

11. mnutz

mnutz Tele-Afflicted

I've had the Vox Stomplab 1g about a week now. It sounds good through headphones and definitely has a wide range of tones.

Most of the presets are way over the top for me. I'm usually just a guitar straight into tube amp guy.

The editing is cool and you can get some good basic amp models out of it, but it's not very user friendly and you have to decipher the codes. My Mustang I got good tones right out of the box.

I do love how the Vox is so small and built so well. Just takes some getting used to.

12. srolfeca

srolfeca Tele-Meister

My vote would be for the Zoom G3n or Xn. I just got a used G5n, and it slays my Tech 21 Fly Rig. I had no idea that Zoom could be this good.

mnutz likes this.

13. The Blood

The Blood Tele-Meister

Dec 31, 2014
    Healdsburg, CA
    I think the mustang 1 is great. I recently was on a trip and practiced a lot with it, with and without earphones. I have other amps that cost more but this one surprises me. I actually got a used III later since I liked the software and versatility.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.