Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Silent Practice-Anything better than Mustang 1

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by mnutz, Jul 15, 2017.

1. mnutz

mnutz Tele-Afflicted

7 years ago, when my son was born, I bought a Mustang 1 for silent practice. It was fine, no problems. I sold it when he got out of the baby phase.

We've got another baby in the house now, so I need something for silent practice again. Should I just get another Mustang?

This is strictly for headphone use and I want to keep it cheap. I considered even going with iRig, or an amplug. Mainly interested in slightly overdriven rock tones and cleans. No need for thousands of tones, I remember the Mustang even being much more than I really needed. Although reverb was nice.

Thanks!

Last edited: Jul 15, 2017

2. beyer160

beyer160 Tele-Afflicted

Aug 11, 2010
    On Location
    If you have an iPhone, get a cheap interface off eBay (I got a Line 6 SonicPort) and try the various apps. ToneStack is cheap and good, most have a free "trial" version with only one or two amp models.

mnutz likes this.

3. Honest Charley

Honest Charley Tele-Holic

Dec 13, 2013
    Sweden
    I bought a Yamaha THr10c and it changed my world according to practice amps! :)

emisilly, Cliffyg62 and mnutz like this.

4. Bill

Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Mar 16, 2003
    London
    A phone or laptop app plus an interface.

mnutz likes this.

5. john_cribbin

john_cribbin Tele-Holic

Nov 26, 2014
    London

6. jannodude

jannodude Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Aug 10, 2016
    SF Bay Area/California
    I have one myself, just make sure to play in low volumes. You can damage your hearing.

mnutz likes this.

7. dswo

dswo Tele-Meister

May 1, 2016
    East Carolina
    I took a Vox Amplug on a two week trip: good sound, you can start playing right away, and you don't need a guitar cable. (These last two are an advantage over iPhone/iPad solutions, which I have also used and enjoyed. The iOS way is superior if you want to tweak effects, record, or use a drum machine app -- tho' for the latter you could also plug an iPhone into the Amplug's AUX port, which works just fine.)

mnutz likes this.

8. JasonKingsX

JasonKingsX Tele-Meister

May 15, 2017
    Austin
    The Mustang I might be a good choice if you were happy with the tones. Aren't they just over $100? Another alternative is the Vox VX20X. It sounds good and is easy to tweak but they cost a bit more at $179 before discounts. I have not listened to it via headphones but will shortly.

mnutz likes this.

9. rad1

rad1 Tele-Meister

Aug 5, 2015
    Santa Cruz CA
    Yup, me too. Great stereo headphone sound with a fantastic amp modeling software on line for free.

It is also portable and can be operated on batteries if you want to. I take mine camping.

Oh ya......it ain't cheap

Honest Charley and mnutz like this.

10. Honest Charley

Honest Charley Tele-Holic

Dec 13, 2013
    Sweden
    :):)
    Yeah! I got mine as a present! Not shure i had bought it with my own money..:)
    Still, it is fantastic! I would not be without it!

11. raysachs

raysachs Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

May 21, 2017
    Near Philly
    I think buying a full amp with a speaker (or speakers) is kind of a waste if you're just gonna plug your headphones into it. I mean, if you want an actual amplifier for playing in a room as well, that's a different story. But for a headphone amp, get a headphone amp! The Amplugs are only $40 each and there are several of 'em to choose from. I have the AC30 and Blues and basically only use the Blues version - they don't sound very different they just have slightly different options. Or if you have a way to plug into your iPhone or iPad, you can use Garage Band or some other app...

-Ray

Cliffyg62 and mnutz like this.

12. Tony Done

Tony Done Friend of Leo's

Dec 3, 2014
    Toowoomba, Australia
    I have an amplug, and it works fine. The only criticism I have is that the design is a liability with a side-mounted socket, OK on a trad top-mounted strat type. I've been thinking of doing some kind of conversion on mine so that it doesn't plug idirectly into the guitar.

I've also been tinkering about with a passive stethoscope-type device, as I'm frugal enough to resent buying batteries. More on that later.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2017
    mnutz likes this.

13. Frontman

Frontman Tele-Meister

Jul 10, 2014
    Tokyo
    I got the iRig, and enjoy using it so far. On the positive side, it is small, needs no batteries, and works well, the app effects are pretty accurate, and I have been able to fairly imitate the same sounds I get on my regular gear. The latest version allows you to use the app effects on your full-size amp. On the negative side, you need to use a guitar cable to plug in, and though the app has literally thousands of combinations of amps, speakers, and effects pedals, the learning curve is a little long. The iRig includes enough free apps to get you going, but additional apps can be expensive.

For simplicity, the Vox amplug is hard to beat. For me it's great to use when practicing at the park or beach. You can use the amplug with your pedals if you want effects.

mnutz likes this.

14. sergiomajluf

sergiomajluf Tele-Meister

Sep 26, 2015
    Santiago, Chile
    I got an Apogee Jam interface couple years ago. Similar concept to the iRig but more expensive, paid around $100. It's an active preamp interface, so sounds much much better than other adapters like the iRig. It works with iOS and also dubs as a USB interface for your computer.

It's my go to piece of gear regardless if I'm at home playing and recording bass, electric or acoustic guitar.

On the software, garage band works great, and I'm in awe with Bias FX software on a Mac

mnutz likes this.

15. Lake Placid Green

Lake Placid Green Tele-Meister

Sep 29, 2016
    Pennsylvania

+1
    THR10 is a life changer when you have a family and have a chance to play at night

Cliffyg62, Honest Charley and mnutz like this.

16. elskipper

elskipper TDPRI Member

May 22, 2012
    California
    I haven't played my Mustang 1 in quite a while after buying a Mustang III. Dug it out the other day and was surprised at how much I still liked it. Not sure I'd buy another, if only because I have nothing to run Fuse on anymore, but they are a lot of fun for the price. I've seen them going for $50 used.

mnutz likes this.

17. flyingbanana

flyingbanana Poster Extraordinaire

Blackstar Fly mang.

emisilly and Cliffyg62 like this.

18. mnutz

mnutz Tele-Afflicted

I downloaded the free version of amplitube and have played around with it a bit. I think I'll just order a cheap interface and call it good.

19. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Friend of Leo's

Oct 29, 2013
    NYC
    mnutz likes this.

20. fender_freak

fender_freak Tele-Meister

Jul 13, 2017
    La Crosse, WI
    I liked the Amplugs when I lived in an apartment for school.

mnutz likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.