Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Sigma Guitar Owners Club

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by twintwelve, Jul 11, 2013.

1. twintwelve

twintwelve Tele-Afflicted

Nov 13, 2010
    Beltsville, MD
    I have loved and cherished my 1985 Martin Sigma HDR-28HC acoustic since I laid eyes on it at Chuck Levin's in Wheaton, MD. i quickly made the deal and brought it home. It is a rare top of the line, solid wood, made in Japan model. a blues and bluegrass cannon! Let's see your wannabe Martins!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. KtownRock

KtownRock TDPRI Member

Aug 22, 2011
    Maryland
    Are they an official dealer? Dying to get my hands on a Sigma mahogany 000! No desire to drive to Nazareth PA though.

3. Beachbum

Beachbum Friend of Leo's

Mar 11, 2009
    Sand Land
    Mine is a 1980 MIJ D10 Anniversary model (100 made) that I bought from a friend back in the eighties. He's still cursing the day he sold it to me. I know this sounds crazy but I spent a whole lot of money on a Martin DC Aura and a Taylor 810 and never could bond with them the way I have with this one. I eventually sold the Martin and the Taylor but the Sigma ain't going anywhere.

Quote from Widipedia:

In 1980 Sigma produced 100 D-10 Anniversary guitars to commemorate 10 years of Sigma production in Japan. The D-10 has solid mahogany sides and back, solid select spruce top, rosewood fingerboard with diamond and square position markers, mother of pearl band stating "Anniversary" between the 19th and 20th fret, tortoiseshell type pickguard and binding, and close-ratio tuning machines.[19] Regarding this guitar, Sigma enthusiast Sterling Webb stated "...equip one of these with a brass or ivory saddle, ebony bridge pins and medium strings and you can hunt down D-18s in the heaviest brush and stomp them to death...it's a very loud and impressive guitar!"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Savinatele

Savinatele TDPRI Member

Mar 31, 2013
    Ibiza
    I bought an old Korean Sigma DM2 off ebay for 50 quid. It had a bit of damage which I repaired. I also changed the nut and saddle for bone and restrung it with Elixir 11's.
    It's one of the best sounding guitars I've ever owned, warm, mellow and extremely loud.
    I was thinking about buying a Taylor 110, but when I played them back to back, the Sigma sounded as good, if not slightly better. My mate in the local guitar shop agreed. I'm just about to re-fret it and fit a Fishman.
    If you spend some time setting them up, the old Japanese and Korean Sigmas take some beating for the money.

6. LennartB

LennartB Tele-Meister

Dec 24, 2012
    Belgium
    A friend of mine has a Chinese made Sigma, with some worn strings and tuned to Eb it sounds amazing for blues! I wouldn't say my Martin DX-1 is a better player. The finish is kinda sticky though on the Sigma but that's all to complain about i think. Plus it's made out of real wood all the way, my Martin is mainly laminated, except for the top.

7. ogion

ogion TDPRI Member

May 5, 2011
    Australia
    Ive only just discovered Sigmas and now I have gas for the 000-28V.........

8. Ron Garson

Ron Garson Friend of Leo's

May 18, 2003
    UK
    I picked this D-41 up a couple of months back. It had literally just come in to the local music store as a trade-in, and I saw it on the stand, and it seemed pretty decent, although needing a good clean and a little truss-rod tweak and drop the saddle a bit. I bought it for what seemed a reasonable price, and only then found out there was a hard case with it!

Cleaned up and adjusted, it is quite a sweet guitar. Hard to get an exact date on it, but it's a Korean model from around the early eighties.

[​IMG]

9. Armo

Armo Tele-Meister

Nov 13, 2008
    Wales
    Bought a Korean one in the 80's, sold it in the 90's. Regretted it ever since. Had a lovely comfortable neck.

10. tele12

tele12 Friend of Leo's

Dec 2, 2006
    NY
    A have a late 80's Korean DR35, nice guitar, compared side by side with a friend's Martin D35 it accounted itself pretty well.

11. fakeocaster

fakeocaster Tele-Afflicted

I have a 30 year old Sigma DM18.Id never part with it

12. kyyammy

kyyammy TDPRI Member

Dec 23, 2011
    Kentucky
    Hello all....

I have a couple of Sigmas, the first being a 52SDR-9 model which I purchased new in 1977. It has a solid spruce top with laminated rosewood back and sides. It has a 3-piece back like a Martin D-35. Overall it is a very nice sounding guitar, better for finger style than strumming, but accounts itself well on both accounts.

I also have a new Sigma SD18, one of the St. Louis Music models. This guitar has a solid spruce top, laminated mahogany back and sides, and bone nut and saddle.... I have to say this is the best sounding inexpensive guitar that I have... Just wonderful tone and low end.

Kyyammy

13. overlock

overlock Tele-Holic

Aug 25, 2009
    N. Ireland
    Mine is an 80s MIK SDR-35, solid spruce top, laminated back and sides. Nothing fancy, but it's a great player with a beautiful, balanced voice. I bought it s/h from a workmate who was heading home to Oz, but the action was too high for my dainty electric-player's fingers, so it spent the next few years sitting in the corner. I eventually got around to setting it up and it's been my go-to acoustic ever since. Keeper.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.