Sigh, fretting about Amazon returns and being banned

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by ppg677, Jan 13, 2019.

1. ppg677

ppg677 Tele-Meister

About 5 months ago I got the Amazon initial warning email of "hey, we notice a lot of returns. Can we do anything to make your shopping experience better?"

I had made 3 returns in the prior 12 months out of about 30 orders. I also had a couple order cancellations...not sure those count.

Apparently this is the first warning shot where you can eventually get banned from Amazon. And since they're eating the world, I would find that pretty disruptive in terms of being able to quickly/easily acquire obscure items.

Well I recently ordered a ton of guitar parts. I sent back tuners (wrong hole size). Hardware I didn't need.

And now a couple nuts I ordered are not tall enough...

Eat the $8 or process a return...sigh.

Of course places like StewMac would be far better to order from. But that $8 nut would cost $9.99 to ship.

2. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

how do you know that they are going to ban you? do they have a written policy on it on the site?

nojazzhere likes this.
  3. ifallalot

ifallalot Tele-Afflicted

kafka, Wildcard_35 and nojazzhere like this.
  4. ecoast

ecoast Tele-Holic

10% will do it, so 3 of 30...ng

5. Dennyf

Dennyf Tele-Afflicted

The Woman uses my account, and and has had a fair number of returns (mostly clothes) over the past year. No problems (so far).

6. OtherTom

OtherTom Tele-Afflicted

I never return anything. You should see my house.

7. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

Didn't know about this policy. I've returned a few things, although, between my grandson and me, we purchase so much I doubt our "percentage" of returns is very high. Please let us know if a "ban" occurs, or is just a bluff.

8. ppg677

ppg677 Tele-Meister

You don't know. There is no policy...it is likely algorithmic with the algorithm constantly being tweaked.

I suspect they compute whether you cost Amazon money or not. And I've also uploaded 400GB of photos through Amazon Prime photos (for free).

Signing up with a new email address doesn't work. Apparently they'll ban your household.

https://nypost.com/2018/05/22/amazon-banning-customers-for-too-many-returns/

I do a lot of other hobbies and Amazon is like the only source of parts.

Guess I'll keep these 2 nuts that are not usable...

9. netgear69

netgear69 Tele-Afflicted

I have returned lots of stuff some really expensive items never had any warnings from them
    if they ever warn me they don't need to ban me i would never use the site again

Mouth likes this.
  10. colnago

colnago Tele-Meister

That's a poor business practice if they ban people based on returning goods. If they start to become concerned they could simply charge a restocking fee.

Wildcard_35 likes this.
  11. ppg677

ppg677 Tele-Meister

Yes, I'm definitely starting to order from non-Amazon sources because of this. A trade-off between the awesomeness of Amazon fulfillment, prices, and Prime shipping. Against the fact that Amazon is simply becoming too powerful, crap like this, and the fact that I must rely on them for some products.

But a great reminder for myself to up my looking elsewhere...

I sure wish StewMac had a lower minimum shipping fee. $9.99 for something that can be dropped in an envelope with a 55-cent stamp is ridiculous.

12. boredguy6060

boredguy6060 Friend of Leo's

StewMac has a deal where you pay an annual fee and get free shipping for the year, if you order a lot of stuff it may be feasible to go that route.

13. WetBandit

WetBandit Friend of Leo's

I'm not so sure about the Stewmac option...

I personally will never do business there again.

14. nsmith01tx

nsmith01tx Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

OK, so what's the story?

I haven't had any trouble with Stew Mac (other than the shipping cost for small orders), but I've only ordered from them a couple of times over the years.

15. telex76

telex76 Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Sounds like in some cases you need to research the item a little better before ordering.

16. Tuneup

Tuneup TDPRI Member

My entire family dumped their Amazon accounts 4 years ago, never had a problem finding anything after that.
    ebay and Google are your friends.

telemnemonics and Shuster like this.
  17. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

The 'lot of other hobbies' statement seems at odds with only 30 orders. I too rely on Amazon, for guitar n amp stuff, and woodworking, and..... I have returned way more than three things, but I've also been a customer since the 90s, and I probably order 250 times a year. Are you trying to get free return shipping, claiming defects or other issues?

I'd call them, and explain your concerns, and note that you're trying to do business in good faith. Get it on record, for when they evaluate again.

18. WetBandit

WetBandit Friend of Leo's

Ok here goes...

I ordered a TV jones Filtertron pickup and paid the extra money to have it in gold...

So when I received the package it was a chrome pickup... which wouldn't match the project I was working on...

So I contact customer support to inform them of the error and get an exchange and they told me I cant get a refund on something that's opened... I wasnt asking for a refund, just an exchange.

So then they tell me that the gold is out of stock and I would have to back order it.

So a few weeks later I get an email saying the Gold filtertron has came in and my bill is $147 plus shipping and any applicable tax....

I replied to that email and told them I'm just waiting on an exchange.

So they then tell me I'm out of the return/exchange time window.

Makes me believe they sold me something that was out of stock and new damn well what they did. And then drug their feet enough for me to be stuck with it!

I didn't even get the roughly $16 extra I paid for the gold model.

I just figured "cut my losses and never shop there again"

I ended up selling the pickup to a friend for a vintage Hagstrom he had got.

Not only that but how are you supposed to know it's not correct without opening the box?

nsmith01tx likes this.
  19. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Doctor of Teleocity Staff Member Ad Free Member

TEST

Last edited: Jan 14, 2019
    bftfender and backporchmusic like this.
  20. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Friend of Leo's

In the future this could be a real problem when everything if sourced online including food and water. Another reason to not let large corporations take control and monopolise everything.

[​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.