Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Side dot squeeze

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Mat UK, Oct 3, 2017.

1. Mat UK

Mat UK Tele-Afflicted

Feb 17, 2009
    London, UK
    Im installing 2mm diameter side dots. I’ve drilled 2mm holes ready for them. Problem is the stick of dot material is super tight in the hole and can’t be pushed in very deep at all (we’re talking 1mm here)

So, do you think this is a case of imperial/metric incompatibility (an imperial stick of side dot sold as metric) or is this the problem for everyone?

What are you guys solutions? Would dipping it in acetone soften the surface enough that it will squeeze in?

Cheers

brownale99 likes this.

2. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    No acetone until it goes in more easily. Can't you find one bit a hair larger diameter?.... maybe an imperial number drill like a #46? I use my fret nippers to cut the rod to a point too. The stewmac rod is tight in the hole as well. I just use the next size up in 1/64 increments.

Mat UK and richa like this.

3. brownale99

brownale99 TDPRI Member

Feb 18, 2017
    Newcastle, UK
    Depending on the length of the dot stick could you put it in a dremel and use a light sand paper as it spins taking of as little as possible until it fits snug?

Mat UK and I_build_my_own like this.

4. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

May 1, 2003
    Jacksonville, FL
    poke an awl in the hole enlarging it slightly.... slide the dot in... cut it off... steam 'em... a Iron and a wet paper towel is fine... . that makes the hole shrink back down.. let it dry completely.. put a drop of acetone on each dot... this acts as the glue... let that dry completely... sand it all flush.... done...

Ron Kirn

ponce, Mat UK and richa like this.

5. richa

richa Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Apr 23, 2016
    Washington
    Now there's an interesting application of that trick. I like it.

Mat UK likes this.

6. Mat UK

Mat UK Tele-Afflicted

Feb 17, 2009
    London, UK
    Thanks Marty. I used my mini gator drill guide to figure out the drill hole size - it comes out at #45 (don’t have a #45 hole) and the drill bit I used comes out as 5/64. I’ve ordered a set of mini drill bits that come in a fair few decimal metric sizes - that should cover my options, looks like 2.1mm will be the one.

Good idea - if it still causes issues that’s a good fallback plan (and cheaper)

That’s a smart idea! I don’t have an awl, might be time to invest in one! I’m going to try the drill bit approach first as that will save the extra steps (awl and stream) in the future. But I can see that working for other applications too. Thanks Ron

7. guitarbuilder

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    I've split the fretboard edge apart just making the dent to drill the hole. Drilling is the safer option to me.

Mat UK likes this.

8. Davecam48

Davecam48 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Dec 31, 2009
    Queensland Australia
    What Ron said or maybe just a few scrapes with a razor blade or hobby knife or some 220 grit sand paper. Shouldn't be too large a problem Matt.

DC

Mat UK likes this.

9. metecem

metecem Friend of Leo's

Side dot material isn't uniform. So sand tip before you shove it in.

Mat UK likes this.

10. Mat UK

Mat UK Tele-Afflicted

Feb 17, 2009
    London, UK
    Thanks chaps, I’ll be sure to bring the tip down a touch

11. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

May 1, 2003
    Jacksonville, FL
    I reckon some of us just have the touch, and then, there's others. . .:p

"awl" it takes is a gentle touch to enlarge the hole a few thousandths... if ya don't have an awl handy, insert a smaller drill bit and wobble it around a little...

start enlarging the holes with a Dremel and the inevitable slip will result in a long progression of profanity .... and you know, your Momma didn't want ya to talk that way... unless she was a Master Chief or a Drill Sergeant ..... :D

rk

Mat UK likes this.

12. Mat UK

Mat UK Tele-Afflicted

Feb 17, 2009
    London, UK
    Ha, well you both make very compelling arguments for both... so perhaps a good old fashioned arm wrestle is in order ... or I could just try both methods

13. TRexF16

TRexF16 Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2011
    Tucson
    How are you cutting you rod material? If with wire cutters or nippers, that distorts it a bit and as said you need to follow up with some sandpaper or scraping to even things back up. IF with some little cut-off saw that leaves a burr, which must also be removed.
    More important, are you leaving the rod full length and trying to push it into the hole, then cut off flush? This is desirable for cheap guys like me trying to save material, but the rods are so bendy you can't get any pressure behind it. If you're doing that try this instead:
    Smooth up the tip of the rod as discussed, then cut it off just a bit longer than the depth of your hole. Then, start the rounded end into the hole and place a small piece of hardwood or some such behind the now very short rod piece and see if you can't push it right in. That's PUSH, not hammer. If it goes in, you can either then start putting a tiny dot of CA glue around the edges of the hole first, or follow up with a drop of acetone later.
    And if you were already doing it this way then refer back to the advice above. If not, I bet this will fix you right up.
    Cheers,
    Rex

Mat UK and Honza992 like this.

14. Honza992

Honza992 TDPRI Member

Aug 6, 2015
    Nottingham, UK
    I find the rubber end of a fret hammer perfect for this. Though I admit I do a bit of light tapping rather than pushing. Taper the plastic rod at the end first though or you risk deforming the hole first. (Go on, ask me how I know.... :() To do the taper just fold a piece of 400 in half then spin it with your fingers. You're only taking off a tiny amount.

The side dot rods I've got at the moment are sold as 2mm, and measure about 1.97mm. A 2mm drill bit has a diameter of about 1.9mm so just too small. The actual diameter of a 2.1mm bit will be more or less 2mm so should be perfect. I forget now why drill bits aren't actually the size they say they are.

Always practice on scrap first. Ideally of the same wood and orientation (offcut from your neck blank is ideal).

I then wick in do thin CA, but having read this very useful thread next time I'll try acetone.

Edit - sorry just re-read your post. You've already made the holes so you would be enlarging already existing holes. I've had failures trying to do that, I've found that drill bits can act a bit unexpectedly. So either I would do a bit more sanding to get the blank down to size, or I would drill lots of 2mm holes and practice enlarging them first, before getting anywhere near the neck. Sorry, apologies for missing that in your first post.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2017
    Mat UK likes this.

15. guitarbuilder

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    I think this is another one of those "find what works for you" situations. There's no wrong answer until you have to make a repair....:). Another hint.... I always compare my dents before drilling to a completely correct neck too. Nothing like having a side dot in the wrong spot. Yes...it can be done.

Mat UK likes this.

16. metecem

metecem Friend of Leo's

Yes and then you make dots everywhere where there is not supposed to be a dot and make it a feature to put none where it is supposed to have one.

:twisted::twisted::twisted:

Mat UK likes this.

17. richa

richa Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Apr 23, 2016
    Washington
    That is a feature for folk with off-by-one syndrome. I just made that up but you can use it for marketing copy if needed. :)

metecem and Mat UK like this.

18. Mat UK

Mat UK Tele-Afflicted

Feb 17, 2009
    London, UK
    It’s currently uncut, so I’m just going off of the raw rods dimensions. I must be cheap then - I hadn’t thought of precutting it - thats a good shout! (it’ll be your fault if I run out of material halfway through though). Cheers

19. Mat UK

Mat UK Tele-Afflicted

Feb 17, 2009
    London, UK
    No worries. The bottom line is to do some tests, find out what works (probably all of the suggestions). Like Marty says YMMV (I read this as Yout Mistakes May Vary)

guitarbuilder likes this.

20. Mat UK

Mat UK Tele-Afflicted

Feb 17, 2009
    London, UK
    Ha, yeah I double checked the marker locations a couple of times. That still doesn’t guarantee I’ve got it right!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.