Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Showing off grain. Easiest way

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by jayroc1, Dec 5, 2017.

1. jayroc1

jayroc1 TDPRI Member

Apr 16, 2015
    vancouver
    What Is a simple way of exposing the grain of a guitar body when staining? I'm looking to dye my guitar and then seal it with lacquer.

Do I prep sand, use dye, sand,lacquer then polish? Im a novice at this btw

Thanks

2. jvin248

jvin248 Friend of Leo's

Apr 18, 2014
    Near Detroit, MI

Big D Guitars youtube channel has a lot of videos on what you are after.
    Dark grain fill plus black dye then sand back and do color.

3. philosofriend

philosofriend Tele-Holic

Oct 28, 2015
    Kalamazoo
    Prep sand, use dye, sand, clear lacquer, lacquer with slightly or greatly different dye color, clear lacquer, polish.
    Using two varieties of the same color is safer. Using black or contrasting colors can be dramatic.
    Practice the whole plan on scrap wood. When you are done you will have a beautiful piece of scrap wood to put on your fireplace mantle.

DrASATele and jayroc1 like this.

4. DrASATele

DrASATele Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 6, 2012
    North of Boston
    for something like say maple I . . .
    Sand up to 220... grain raise
    After dry re-sand 220 then 320
    grain raise again when dry re-sand 320
    apply Pre-stain conditioner --->although there are branded versions most of it's just a thinner with additives. If you make your own stain/dye with DNA then plain un-tinted DNA would be your Pre-stain conditioner. Using a water based stain? use water as your conditioner.
    I usually apply the stain within an hour of putting down the conditioner.
    Once the stain is down there's a few things you can do.
    1- sand it back to stain again (this will enhance curls, flames, quilts and other figuring) Using various shades of the same color can add definition to the figuring and make the color seem less 1 note. I tend not to use conditioner after the first stain as it has a tendency to lift color when applied after IME.
    2-seal it & move on (this is great if you hit your color mark and it's close to how you want it)
    So you've got the color you want, figure and all, you end up at step 2 anyway. After this you can laydown clear coats or use a lightly tinted clear coat to add some additional depth and color. These are sometimes called shaders/toners.

Ultimately the sanding and prep parts are the most crucial. They are often the difference between a well defined flame maple top and one that looks fuzzy.

5. jayroc1

jayroc1 TDPRI Member

Apr 16, 2015
    vancouver
    Can I put down grain filler, dye and then finish with tung oil or is the filler not needed? It's an alder body

6. DrASATele

DrASATele Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 6, 2012
    North of Boston
    no filler on alder
    If you can, spray a few mist coats before you lay down a true coat. Some oil based finishes will lift a stain or dye that isn't sealed in. Or if you can't spray it get a rattle can of clear shellac before the Tung.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.