Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Show your Partscasters...

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by BritishBluesBoy, Mar 9, 2013.

1. awasson

awasson Friend of Leo's

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver
    I've seen a couple of photos of this one recently. What an awesome guitar! There's nothing I don't like about it and if I played left handed, it would be my perfect guitar. Love it!

I'm sold in pine bodied guitars too and Tonebomb seem to do such a good job of making their bodies. I've bought a couple of their bodies and they just fit right. I'm planning another Tonebomb with Cavalier pickups this year if it ever stops raining here for more than a day.

2. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Tele-Afflicted

Fender MIM Standard Body
    Fender MIM Roadworn 60's Neck
    Classic 60's/TexMex Pickups

I sold my first real strat a few years ago. never bonded with it. Im trying again with this new build. so far, so good. I love the rosewood feel and the 7.25 + 6105 frets are really nice combo!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

teletimetx, john kleeman and jamieorc like this.

3. Jsil13

Jsil13 Tele-Meister

Feb 14, 2017
    Boston, MA
    This guitar began it's life as a Classic Vibe Custom. I had wanted a double bound tele and this was a pretty cost effective way of doing it. I replaced the pickups with a Seymour Duncan firebird neck, Fender 62 bridge, Cts pots, Crl switch, switchcraft jack, electrosocket, Duessenberg switchtip, Decoboom guard and neck plate, Rutters brass with aluminum E/A saddles, the neck from a classic 50s, and a dorky cowboy bebop sticker to finish it off.

20170308_144608.jpg 20170308_144636.jpg FB_IMG_1489437757436.jpg 17351985_10212395743032521_5918028125548311144_n.jpg

4. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Tele-Afflicted

Here's another one - GFS pickups and bridge, Mighty Mite lefty Strat neck, body by The Chop Shop, finished with single-stage red (kinda close to Dakota but not quite).

[​IMG]

I built a matching Jazz Bass for my bass player's 50th birthday.

[​IMG]

- D

5. Rich B in Tempe

Rich B in Tempe Tele-Holic

Apr 20, 2016
    Tempe Arizona
    IMG_4858.JPG My latest pinecaster- vintage transparent white on a vintage tonebomb canadian body- compensated bridge with brass saddles $ CAVALIER PICKUPS- possably the best money can buy. Firebird Phoenix in neck & tripple taped hydra bridge pickup-(HUGE LION-FAT LION -NASHVILLE LION), its got all the sounds for a 24 3/4 " conversion Warmoth neck-( which needed considerable leveling a crowning befor it became a useable playing guitar!! Just it realy
    Contrys- or rocks with anazing sounds!! Thank peter at tone bomb & Rob DeFestano for hus great recomendation for his amazing Lion series of tele pickups!

6. cmclayton101

cmclayton101 Tele-Meister

Oct 12, 2016
    Raleigh, NC
    My latest assemblage with minwax and truoil. The pickgaurd was painted. Will be changing out the bridge pup. Are the bridge pups all a standard size?

7. cmclayton101

cmclayton101 Tele-Meister

Oct 12, 2016
    Raleigh, NC
    My latest assemblage with minwax and truoil. The pickgaurd was painted. Will be changing out the bridgepup. Are the bridgepups all a standard size? Thx 1493954582951.jpg

SoulstormTX likes this.

8. Tonestack

Tonestack TDPRI Member

Jan 31, 2013
    Doncaster, England
    Financed a few when I was younger, that my dad assembled for me, but this is the first Partscaster I've ever done myself. Used it to teach myself to solder.

Ash body
    Vintage-tine unbranded maple neck
    Early 90's MIM Fender pups
    Aged/relic'd hardware - mostly purchases from Axes-R-Us

[​IMG]

9. Rich B in Tempe

Rich B in Tempe Tele-Holic

Apr 20, 2016
    Tempe Arizona
    I admit- im kind of a traditionalist!!

10. TelecasterTommy83

TelecasterTommy83 NEW MEMBER!

May 13, 2017
    UK
    Hi,

New to this site but wondering if any of you guys have seen anything like this before?

I am trying to trace down its history and find out the story behind it and thought this site might be a good start.

Attached Files:

11. perttime

perttime Tele-Holic

Apr 13, 2014
    Finland
    Whatever the origin, somebody has scribbled "La Cabronita" on the headstock. What does it say below that?

Cabronitas by Fender are various slightly offbeat guitars from the Custom Shop, using TV Jones pickups. I guess this one shares the idea. It looks cool although the way the front of the body is carved isn't quite to my own preference.

12. mgreene

mgreene Tele-Meister

Jan 27, 2010
    south carolina
    Wait a minute! Pine guitars actually sound good? I've seen them for sale but hadnt heard anybody say they sound good - as in better than swamp ash.

I have an open mind - I have a bass made from tulip wood (popular). I probably would'a fought ya if you hadda tried to convince me that sounded good - before I actually heard it.

So, what say ye - does pine sound as good / better than traditional guitar woods?

Mike

13. perttime

perttime Tele-Holic

Apr 13, 2014
    Finland
    Clearly. Where have you been?
    Of course people have different preferences. There's no such thing as a best wood for guitar bodies. The big difficulty with pine and spruce is that they get dented easily. To some, that is a positive...

14. mgreene

mgreene Tele-Meister

Jan 27, 2010
    south carolina
    I been around. I just aint never heard that pine sounded good - honest!

I was trying to get a guy on ebay who makes bodies to cut me a non-reverse firebird body out of mahogany - I never considered that pine (which is what he mainly offers) might sound good too.

15. perttime

perttime Tele-Holic

Apr 13, 2014
    Finland
    Anyway, there's lots of people with pinecasters on tdpri. Others know more about them than I do. Try a search for more information?

16. awasson

awasson Friend of Leo's

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver
    Well, what sounds good is just an opinion but I do like the sound of my pine Telecaster.

When I had it set up with the standard tone/volume + 3-way switch and a set of Tonerider Vintage Plus pickups, it sounded very much like what you would expect a Telecaster guitar to sound like. Really spanky/twangy bridge and a darker neck. It sounded Really good.

It's gone through a myriad of pickup and wiring changes since then because I wanted a particular sound and it's just about there now. I plugged it in the other day after not having it amplified for a couple of weeks and was blown away by how responsive and dynamic it sounds. Really nice tones clean or dirty. Maybe it's the pine, I don't know but it sure sounds good.

17. mgreene

mgreene Tele-Meister

Jan 27, 2010
    south carolina
    Well - I listened to a ton of pinecaster demos on utube last nite. It appears TO ME that my ignorance was correct. :rolleyes:

For my money, pine did one thing very well - a high pass filter sound (all mids and highs) that sounds acoustic and spanky but TO ME - not balanced and not warm. Sounded good on chicken pink'n type licks but at the same time sounded too much like 80's active PUs for my liking.

I would try it anyway except for one thing - the tone of the pine bodies seemed so overwhelming that it seemed to swamp the difference between the bridge and neck pickups and the middle position was unappealingly scooped.

Any comments on pine bodies with a jazzmaster/jaguar type tremolo?

I am so interested because I was thinking about getting a firebird type body and was worried that mahogany would sound too muddy.

Mike

18. heffus

heffus Tele-Meister

Apr 20, 2014
    cHICAGO

19. davo8411

davo8411 TDPRI Member

Nov 8, 2011
    Pensacola, Florida
    Love that pickguard Heffus! I hope to design something similar for my build.

cmclayton101 likes this.

20. heffus

heffus Tele-Meister

Apr 20, 2014
    cHICAGO
    Thanks, totally ripped off that pickguard idea from boris bubbanov.

Last edited: May 27, 2017
    chippertheripper likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.