Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Show us your pedalboards on the cheap...

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by schenkadere, Jan 29, 2012.

1. schenkadere

schenkadere Friend of Leo's

May 13, 2009
    NY
    Some of us get a thrill out of finding great tone on the cheap. I'm curious to see some of those boards. Here's mine:
    [​IMG]
    I got everything at GC on blowout sales. I made the board from a piece of wood I simply painted flat black, attached industrial strength velcro to the top and rubber feet to the bottom. It fits nicely into a small plastic case I found at work...powered with a VS 1 spot I got with a GC coupon and tied together with Hosa patch cables.

I use a 2001 Peavey USA red stripe Transtube EFX 112 which has digital reverb, tap tempo delay and a bunch of really nice sounding footswitchable effects, so it allows me to experiment without spending extra cash. Trem, flanger, phaser, auto wah, octave, chorus and rotary speaker are all there and I paid $350 for it a few years back. I figured it would save me some cash through my fickle phases, and it has.

I'm not cheap...just have a full house and not a lot to spend, although I am a stickler for good tone.

I thought this might be fun and offer some ideas to others.

2. schenkadere

May 13, 2009
    NY
    Already changed it up a bit...started using the amp's built in delay...it just sounds good. I got that Deja Vu for 79 bucks...couldn't pass it up...so many features...solid build and sounds quite nice, but the amp sounds good too and seems to mix in a bit more naturally.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. k tone

k tone Tele-Afflicted

Feb 29, 2008
    Canada
    [​IMG]

It has changed since I took this pic. Hey what can I say it's been 4 months!

4. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Friend of Leo's

Mar 29, 2007
    Manassas Park, VA
    For me, just imagine the Boss 3-pedal board as such:

slot #1 is my TU-2 tuner; #2 is "open" for either Boss CE-5 or TR-2; #3 is for DD-3 - I run 1 or 2 OD/distortions (see my sig below for those) just on battery before the pedal board- works just great for me- very compact/simple....

edit: 1-Spot plugs into Tuner power IN (w/power OUT) to power all pedals

5. schenkadere

May 13, 2009
    NY
    I would do a 3 Boss Board as such...CS-3>OD-3>DD-3.

6. Okieactor

Okieactor Tele-Holic

Jun 19, 2009
    Austin, TX
    RE: Schenkadere

Nice. Somebody else lurks at GC looking for closeouts, huh? I almost pulled the trigger on that Seymour duncan delay about 3 weeks or so ago. Still waiting to find a used Deluxe Memory Boy myself.

7. schenkadere

May 13, 2009
    NY
    MXR Classic OD $25
    Deltalab TO-1 $30
    Rogue Compressor $20
    Duncan Deja Vu $79

How can you not love that?

8. Martin R

Martin R Friend of Leo's

Jun 26, 2008
    Albuquerque
    Are you talking pedals or the actual board? This is a cheap kitchen cutting board I used for years...It's Lab Tested.

(Now I have a good sized PedalTrain. It's soooo much better than anything else I've ever used.)

Attached Files:

9. bigmuff113

bigmuff113 Friend of Leo's

Jan 22, 2012
    San Antonio tx
    Big muff-76$
    Rat- bought used for $40 but needed repair. Proco replaced it for free.
    Wah- got as a gift
    Chorus- hand me down
    Tuner -40 at a pawn shop
    White coily cable of gearmanndudeiness-priceless

Attached Files:

10. Hallski

Hallski Tele-Meister

Sep 1, 2011
    Clarkston, MI
    [​IMG]

What do you think about that DeltaLab pedal? I've been checking out their delay pedal, and for 50 bucks (from what ive seen) its looks to be a great pedal for the price.

11. bjjrev

bjjrev Tele-Meister

Oct 10, 2011
    What did u use for the actual board here? I'm looking to build one soon and I like what you have...

12. schenkadere

May 13, 2009
    NY
    I mean the pedals more than the board, but cheap for both is good stuff!...makes it more betterer.:)

13. schenkadere

May 13, 2009
    NY
    The delay is actually a very good pedal...had one for a while...they're on in-store closeout now for like 40 bucks. It only has about a 300ms delay which is low for digital, but it has a nice tone...not overly digital sounding.

As far as the TO-1, it's been my favorite TS type for years...I can get some nice Robben Ford-ish tones out of it...nice and smooth.

14. schenkadere

May 13, 2009
    NY
    That looks like a nice 10 series delay...which one is it? Those are the best digital delays ever.

I love all this great cheap stuff! I've had pedals worth 5 times what I have now and I've never had better tone. You need to release yourself from labels and just use your ears sometimes...that and closeouts and coupons!

15. leonard d rock

leonard d rock Tele-Afflicted

the kitchen board's a good idea. the synthetic one (plastic?) is lighter than the wooden one. i might redo mine with that.

16. k tone

k tone Tele-Afflicted

Feb 29, 2008
    Canada
    3/4" plywood - $5
    3/4" pewter corner 90 for the edges - $5
    Leftover tweed from an amp project - $5

17. Magnawolf

Magnawolf Tele-Meister

Dec 21, 2009
    California
    I actually have all of those in my pedal chain except the big muff is a little big muff.

18. wrathfuldeity

wrathfuldeity Tele-Holic

Apr 25, 2011
    Turdcaster, WA
    Is it 2 levels...does the bottom shelf slide out? I looking to build a board but want a portable small footprint. Hopefully pretty much done with buying/trading pedals...but cheap pedals are addicting now that I've discovered the ease of modding them...got a handful of other pedals but they haven't made the cut.

mxr classic od...switch mod...$40
    marshall bb2...1st stage lower gain mod...$20
    mxr m-108 eq...$20
    boss tr2 trem vol and tone mod...$25
    tc elec nr-1...$75

19. k tone

k tone Tele-Afflicted

Feb 29, 2008
    Canada
    Yes it has an upper level about 1 3/4" off the bottom. It is semi permanent. It can be removed with three screws coming through the base part of the pedalboard.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.