Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Show us your Oil Finished Guitars

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by Stuco, Apr 9, 2009.

1. JimmyJam

JimmyJam Tele-Afflicted

Mar 5, 2009
    So Cal

2. JimmyJam

JimmyJam Tele-Afflicted

Mar 5, 2009
    So Cal
    I'm wondering now if the Amber stain would've done the trick.
    I felt more in control of the process and overall outcome mixing my own though.

3. jay1970

jay1970 Tele-Meister

Apr 3, 2009
    Bradford-United Kingdom
    I could not decide what to do with the body ie stain/ect, so i applied 2 coats of danish oil. Then in time i can alter the body as i wish.

4. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

[​IMG]

Coupla more coats needed. I don't think I can make the presentation deadline - we'll wait for this fine man's birthday to do the presentation in memory of him.

5. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

Mick, you guitar looks fabulous.

There's a red Custom Shop rendition of that theme available at Dave's Guitar in LaCrosse, Wisconsin, USA but it really pales next to your fine work. Absolutely great! :D

6. craigoslo

craigoslo Tele-Meister

Feb 6, 2009
    oslo, Norway
    Did you find that the tru oil changed the colour of the stain? I'm thinking of using transtint yellow with linseed oil on top. The oil is amber colour (naturally). Hopefully, that will get me the colour I'm looking for.

7. JimmyJam

JimmyJam Tele-Afflicted

Mar 5, 2009
    So Cal
    Yes, it seemed to darken it a little bit with each coat. I used only 3-4 coats
    of tru-oil. It gave a brown overtone to the color of the stain with each coat.
    I thought it turned out pretty nice, considering I had no idea what I was doing. :p

It looks like it sealed the wood. I buffed with 0000 steel wool between
    each coat. Although you could probably buff after the 2nd to 3rd coat.

I think the buffing between each coat allowed me to achieve a smooth, thin finish in fewer coats, but I'm probably wrong. I cleaned with Mineral Spirits after each buffing and made sure it dried before the next coat.

Let me know if you got other questions. Maybe Boris could shed his knowledge on us, seeing as he's done so many finishes.

8. Les1623

Les1623 TDPRI Member

Jan 4, 2009
    Surrey England
    Just finished my second build (at the back) - three or four more coats on this one. Wish I'd put a 4 way in it though like the first one.

Attached Files:

9. jefrs

jefrs Doctor of Teleocity

Nov 20, 2007
    Newbury, England
    [​IMG]
    Ok, it's not a tele and it not a good pic. The body is iroka (or iroko) which is an African 'teak', so it is finished in teak oil with 'finishing oil' over. The wood is extremely dense and hard, so it was finely sanded and polished, no grain filler required, before rubbing oil all over. The nice thing about an oil finish is that it is dead easy to repair any blemishes.

10. celeste

celeste Friend of Leo's

Jun 24, 2006
    Maryland
    [​IMG]

Watco Danish Oil, natural

11. RomanS

RomanS Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 21, 2006
    Vienna, Austria
    [​IMG]

- about a million coats of TruOil (OK, a million is what it felt like - I guess about 25 is closer to reality).

[​IMG]

- 2 coats of boiled linseed oil (cut 1:1 with natural balsamic pine turpentine for easier application), followed by two coats of Osmo Hartwachsöl (an oil/wax mix for hardwoiod floors).

[​IMG]

- 3 or 4 coats of Osmo Hartwachsöl.

[​IMG]

- two coats of Osmo Hartöl (no wax in that one).

12. Monkey Man

Monkey Man Tele-Meister

Apr 27, 2005
    The Land of Az
    Great looking work here!
    Is it possible to use nitro over an oil finish?

13. Kalebima

Kalebima Tele-Meister

Jan 27, 2011
    Montreal, QC
    RomanS, is that the vintage vibe charlie christian pickup in those two tele? If so, how do you like them? I'm debating buying one for my neck pickup but the price is kinda high for me

14. davmac

davmac Tele-Afflicted

Sep 15, 2003
    Wirral, UK
    Here's three of my builds with oil finishes;

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All done with Danish oil - in the region of 12-15 coats.

15. frankie5fingers

frankie5fingers Tele-Meister

Nov 5, 2010
    ohio
    Franklin Tele

Solid mahogany body (weighs 237.4 Lbs.), Lollar P90 neck, Special T bridge, Tru Oil, named after my son.

Attached Files:

16. RomanS

Jun 21, 2006
    Vienna, Austria
    Yup, the CC Rider, and the HB-sized HCC in the Thinline Tele.
    I like them a lot - very BIG sounding, very wide-range, very full - kinda like a clearer, cleaner P90.
    I don't find them so expensie - compare the price to what VVG CCs from Lollar or other guys cost; they aren't a whole lot more than eg. Seymour Duncans or other "regular" Tele neck PUs, either...

17. Kalebima

Kalebima Tele-Meister

Jan 27, 2011
    Montreal, QC
    What did you put for the bridge pickup? I'm trying to find something that would match it nicely.

18. RomanS

Jun 21, 2006
    Vienna, Austria
    On the thinline, the bridge PU is a VVG HS90, a HB-shaped P90 that Pete matched in looks to the HCC; on the other one I have a Fender Nocaster PU in the bridge position - with the Nocaster set very close to the strings (where it sounds best, anyway, in my experience, Alnico III PUs always sound best if set really close to the strings...), and with the CC-Rider set far away from the strings, they match very well in output.

19. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    transtint dye & about 8 coats of Tru-Oil
    [​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.