Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Show us your Modded Hollowbodies

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by akuster777, Jun 13, 2018.

1. akuster777

akuster777 TDPRI Member

Jun 20, 2017
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    You went through all the hassle. It sounds really great. So show us your modded hollow body guitars!

Here's mine: a Gretsch Electromatic G5120 Made in Korea 2011, with Electric City Pickups ECP Royal Tribute Humbuckers, Gibson-style 50s wiring with two vols and two tones (no more muddy Gretsch master volume), vintage braid throughout, NOS Sprague mylar difilm Black Beauties caps, Bigsby bridge, and a homemade mono varitone between the Switchcraft switch and jack.

20180126_163301.jpg
    20180126_163639.jpg
    20180112_092951.jpg
    20180217_160629.jpg

What's yours look like? How does it sound?

2. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    Not really a mod. My 6120 has the trestle bracing, and the pickups sit right on the little wood shelf. Except that leaves them WAAAY too low, so I craft little wooden shims for them. I've also swapped pickups in that guitar a couple of times. Now that I've got the T-Armonds in there... I'm done. But I am fairly well versed in fishing with plastic tubing. o_O:rolleyes:

The T-Armonds sound like an icy cold, clear mountain stream.

Obligatory photo...

20180613_130108.jpg

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
    2blue2, mimmo, Minimalist518 and 6 others like this.

3. jayyj

jayyj Tele-Holic

Jul 13, 2014
    Manchester, UK
    I have a couple.

The ES320 is a short lived Gibson model intended to slow the freefalling sales of Gibson previous budget ESs, with a proper 335 body style and centerblock (although it's the short block used briefly in the early 70s), but a truly horrible bridge screwed to the top, a one piece maple neck and Melody Maker single coil pickups. They also have a single volume and tone with on off switches for each pickup mounted on a metal plate. The design wasn't a big success and it was replaced by the ES325 the following year. They're actually quite cool in a funky 70s sort of way, but they're a long way from being a classic 335.

Mine was bought as a husk with a neck issue. Since the fact the 320 was kitted out with some of the most horrible hardware ever to grace a Gibson guitar doesn't seem to have stopped the parts guys asking stupid money for the biz I quickly decided to go with my own approach.

So, the ugly bridge was swapped for an ABR (shaved to allow for the almost non existent neck angle) and a Bigsby B7. A 'Custom Made' plate covers the holes from the old tailpiece. The pickups look like P90s but they're actually a gold foil based design by the Creamery - there's foil under the holes and we put brass eyelets into the holes to give them a bit of a unique vibe. I made the pickguard from scratch and had a control plate made of similar plastic to the 'Custom Made' plate. The switches and knobs are from a console in an old defunct UK TV studio.

I love it as a guitar - if has a unique sound, plays well and looks a lot nicer than the original would have. It only cost about £800 all in so it was pretty affordable.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My other one is a '58 ES225. Again, this was bought as a husk. I wanted to have one with an original P90 so I splashed out on a period correct one and the seller also had a 225 pickguard available which made sense to buy. The wiring is modern. Although I love the Les Paul tailpiece used on 225s I wanted to keep a cap on the cost of the project and I already had a 50s Bigsby B6 in my spares box. The bridge is the flat top Sorkin one you can see on John Lennon's Rickenbacker, but I made a rosewood base to get the height up and match the top carve. I find 225s with Bigsbys often look a little bland compared to the tailpiece version but the Sorkin somehow lifts it a bit. Again, it was fairly cheap - certainly well under what I was seeing player grade compete 225s going for. It's an oddball guitar with the weird pickup position but an interesting tonal option given I already have a couple of twin P90 guitars and it feeds back like a monster!

[​IMG]

Flaneur, LondonLefty, 2blue2 and 7 others like this.

4. akuster777

akuster777 TDPRI Member

Jun 20, 2017
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    wow, gorgeous guitars @moosie and @jayyj!

@jayyj how does that 1959 p90 sound in your es225 mounted in that middle position?

jayyj likes this.

5. RomanS

RomanS Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 21, 2006
    Vienna, Austria
    Not finished yet:
    Loar LH-300, with Bigsby B11, John Anthony Guitars CC-style floating pickup, and Compton bridge.
    Still needs knobs and a new pickguard.

[​IMG]

2blue2, lupowitz, BorderRadio and 2 others like this.

6. jayyj

jayyj Tele-Holic

Jul 13, 2014
    Manchester, UK
    It's a weird sounding guitar - compared to my two ES330s the middle pickup on the 225 is darker than the neck position on the other two where you'd expect it to be a little brighter. When I got it the signalfrom the first was really weak despite a decent 7.5k reading, so Jaime who makes Creamey pickups took a look at it and we recharged the magnets. He feels the QC of those magnets wasn't very consistent and it's a pretty weak magnet even with a recharge, but it sounds ok. I wanted a single pickup 225 because I fancied a singlecut thinline to have a unique tone that wasn't already covered by a 330.

What's cool about the single pickup 225s is I'm a bit lazy about my picking hand and the pickup is right under where my hand naturally wants to go so it's in the way and I have to move my hand. However, the tone is competent different if I pick on the neck side to on the bridge side, so I can actually get a fairly wide range of tones out of it just by changing sides instead of pickups.

akuster777 likes this.

7. jayyj

jayyj Tele-Holic

Jul 13, 2014
    Manchester, UK
    Very cool! I have one of his pickups in a home made tenor guitar - it sounds great but surprisingly bright for a neck position. How's yours?

akuster777 likes this.

8. RomanS

RomanS Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 21, 2006
    Vienna, Austria
    Yep, mine is pretty bright, too - which I like! I don't play jazz, but country, Western Swing, rockabilly - and before I had a chance to try that pickup, I thought that I might need a bridge pickup too - turned out I don't...

akuster777, moosie and jayyj like this.

9. akuster777

akuster777 TDPRI Member

Jun 20, 2017
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    so far everybody has a Bigsby...

what an assemblage of pickups!

10. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    The Gretsch is my only Bigsby. Most of my hollows (and a semi) have some form of ABR bridge, with stop tailpiece (ES-335), or trapeze style (330, 175, 275). It's just that I haven't felt the need to mod any of the Gibsons. Quite the opposite, they're perfect as they are.

akuster777 likes this.

11. akuster777

akuster777 TDPRI Member

Jun 20, 2017
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    Yeah, I see that Gibson with the trapeze tailpiece and the P90s in your photo. Very interesting.

My Gretsch after a new bone nut and my mods sounds 100x better to me now.

moosie likes this.

12. drlucky

drlucky Tele-Meister

Jun 19, 2012
    Fresno, Ca
    20171020_090032_resized.jpg
    1954 Guild X-175. Started life as a single pickup X-150. Found on Reverb back in Feb. of 2015. It was beat to hell and cheap, so I bought it figuring I'd just add a bridge pickup, switch and another volume and tone. My buddy and guitar repair guy Mike Newton discovered that the only difference between a X-150 and X-175 in '54 was one pickup and the switch. Everything else (trim, volume and tone controls) was the same. I had Seymour Duncan build a repro Franz pickup for the bridge, replaced the left handed (?!?) Gretsch Bigsby that was on it when I got it with a new right handed one, installed a switch and cleaned it up.

Through a clean amp with reverb on both pickups, it's instant Duane Eddy. Neck pickup clean amp, 50's jazz. Run it through a Pro Jr. and it's instant 40's-50's dirty jump blues. Bridge pickup, Chuck Berry city.

All told, I have less than 1400 bucks in it (including purchase)...about 400 more than a new Korean X-175.

It's definitely been PLAYED all it's life...but man, loads of mojo in there...

Flaneur, LondonLefty, mad dog and 5 others like this.

13. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

May 2, 2003
    Wisco

14. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    trying again. stupid photobucket All except the goldtop have been modded
    a6e0f620cd38eb2f1eace65047b08e3a.jpg

15. akuster777

akuster777 TDPRI Member

Jun 20, 2017
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    drlucky likes this.

16. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    My avatar guitar. It's a MIJ ES330 clone from the 60's. Hollow body with 1" square tone block under the bridge area.
    Originally had super microphonic single coil pickups with copper base plates(looked like Tele bridge pups and same size with screw poles). Had a Mahogany neck and a 3-way toggle for tone selection Rhythm or Lead tone caps.
    I put a 24.5" scale neck made of Maple with Rosewood board(easy to do with the floating bridge). The tone selection now has a 3-way on/off/on switch giving choice of .033 cap/no tone circuit/.022 cap, 3-way pickup selector, 500k master volume and master tone pots to one leg of a stereo jack. The other side has 2 round piezo wired in parallel under the bridge area to a 500k volume. The pickups are GFS A5 Fat Minibucker in the bridge and a GFS Ceramic Minibird that I converted to a real A2 Firebird pickup. Painted Black Metalflake.
    Pic of how it looked before and a pic of now. $_12.JPG DSCF3612.JPG

17. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Apr 2, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    I've modded several Gretsch guitars, a early G5420T with Tru-Arc and HiLotrons, a later G5420T now with a TVJ Setzer Sig neck and Classic bridge, plus other junk. Sold off the G5122 walnut DC with TVJ and HS Filtertrons. But my favorite is a modern Streamliner, gutted and now a '54/'55 Streamliner 6190 that never was, more like an Electro II:

late 90s Dynasonics
    late 50s Streamliner G-logo tailpiece (real deal)
    Embie-Matic Melita-style bridge with phenolic saddles
    Gold metallic pickguard
    Grovers with ivory buttons
    Plain Gretsch-style knobs
    11 gauge flatwounds
    Matching Tele ;)

I'm nuts, I know that already.

20180612_165626.jpg 20180612_165708.jpg 20180612_165731.jpg 20180612_170119.jpg

drlucky, moosie, Zepfan and 1 other person like this.

18. akuster777

akuster777 TDPRI Member

Jun 20, 2017
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    Looks great. Sweet crazy bridge from the future and tailpiece from the past!

EDIT: just looked up Melita bridges and learned something...

How does your tele sound with that dynasonic neck pickup? Does it have a bridge one too?

drlucky and BorderRadio like this.

19. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Friend of Leo's

Nov 28, 2006
    USA
    Here's my 2012 MIK Sheraton II. Added an Epi maestro tremolo, nylon saddle bridge, Kluson keystone tuners, and Dearmond Goldtone pickups. Love it!

Pics aren't that great...

20170722_121853.jpg

20170722_121849.jpg

20. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Apr 2, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    Thanks. Well, the Tele sounds nothing like the hollowbody, though the neck pickups are both modern Gretsch Dynasonics. In the Tele it's like a Strat pickup "on steroids", clean and clear, the solid body making for loads of sustain. An incredible amount of bass on tap. The Streamliner has a quick attack and short decay, thunk 'n thump. The Dyna sound is kinda variable, since the magnet slugs can be adjusted to ridiculous heights/depths. The only thing that matched this pickup was a TV Jones Starwood at 12k (fine coil wire probably).

Speaking of educational, here's a good link on the Melita:

http://scottymoore.net/Melita.html

akuster777 likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.