Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Show Us Your La Cabronita (and clones)!!!

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Jeff_K, May 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jeff_K

Jeff_K Friend of Leo's

Aug 14, 2009
    Katy, TX
    I haven’t seen a specific “Show us your La Cabronita” thread, although there are numerous Cab threads on some topic or another. Given the costly nature of the guitar, a “show us” thread would almost by definition be a very short thread, with a few owners and lots of “wow, I wish I could have that” comments. However, I know there are a bunch of us building our own tribute versions of this great guitar, so I’ll be the first (I think) to say, “Let’s see them!” Here's mine:

cab1.jpg

Like most of us, probably, when I first saw the La Cabronita I thought it was way overpriced and just weird looking. Kind of a joke, really, like “who do they think they’re kidding?” But the more threads I read, the more I liked them--and liked the whole idea about the simple-but-rockin’ nature of them. Unfortunately, the $3,000-$5,000 price tag would also mean the beginning of divorce proceedings, so it would be up to me to create my own version if I wanted to play something like that. I had a Delonge Strat, so I’m totally down with the single bridge HB sound.

Anyway, I started watching the TDPRI ads for pieces to start my own Cab tribute and lucked into Marc Rutters’ pine bodies. He was great to deal with and made the exact body I wanted, rear-routed single bridge HB just like the single Cabs. He had a good selection when I bought it, and I got a nice one-piece sugar pine body with a nice grain, which was important because I wanted to stain it rather than paint it like the real Cabs. It was really well made and routed perfectly. He pre-drilled the holes I needed and offered some great advice for a newbie, too. Next I started looking for some TV-Jones like pickups but as I’m trying to build as cheaply as possible, I decided on the GFS Retrotron. It’s got that TV Jones/Filterton look to it, not unintentional, of course. As luck would have it, someone had a set in the ads here and I got them both for $50 delivered, and now I still have the neck Retrotron for another build for one of my kids.

It took a little more patience for the neck, as prices tend to be a little on the high side if you’re looking for a real cheap build. I found an Affinity neck in the ads with a tusq nut and not much wear for $80 delivered. I was a little worried about the Affinity neck as there has been much said about how narrow they are, etc. That was unfounded, as the neck is just fine and I simply can’t tell the different when I’m playing it. Compare to other Teles and you can see it’s narrower, but for me at least there is no difference in how it feels to play. The rest of the bits and pieces I picked up here or had on the shelf, so when it was all said and done, I’m out just $235 and got a very sweet looking and great sounding guitar. I went with stain and a black pickguard, totally the opposite of real Cabs, which are all painted and have white p/g’s. The Retrotron pickup is great, BTW. At least as good sounding as my Dimarzio and SD humbuckers, and it’s got the look you need for a Cab.

I’ve seen a number of Cab threads postulating that you could build it for $500—and indeed you could do that even with a real TV Jones. But if you just like the look of the Cab and want to do it for much less than $500, I’m proof that even a newbie can do it for half that much and still have a great looking, great sounding guitar. Cork sniffers may scoff, but I love mine and I don’t have to treat it like a museum piece. There’s the whole “you get what you pay for” argument, generally true, but I can tell you for $235 it sounds like a million bucks to me.

I chose to call mine “La Agarradita” Especial—which means “The Little Cheapskate” Special. Seemed appropriate. In keeping with my cheapskate principles, I simply used a Sharpie and some leftover laser waterslide paper to make a rough looking homemade “Crusty Frog” decal. Didn’t even need to coat the decal…just wrote it, wet it, put it on. I’ll clear coat it next time I change the strings.

$80.00 1-piece sugar pine body from Marc Rutters

$15.00 Pickguard and control plate cover by Rutters

$80.00 Affinity neck (TDPRI ads)

$25.00 GFS Retrotron bridge pickup (TDPRI ads)

$13.00 Hardtail bridge from web retailer

$10.00 black knobs and strap buttons (TDPRI ads)

$12.00 2 x 500k pots (local shop)

----------

$235.00 total cost

I hope this thread gets some traction as I’d LOVE to see what others are putting together, and of course those lucky souls to have a real La Cabronita Especial should by all means include as many pictures as possible to [a] demonstrate your superior liquidity, allow us to live vicariously through you, maybe hate you just a little, and [c] encourage others to give it a shot.

2. chipbutty24

chipbutty24 Friend of Leo's

Oct 16, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    Awesome job!

Can you post more pics.

3. trousertele

trousertele Tele-Holic

Feb 19, 2008
    CA
    I thought I read on here that you can't make a Cab clone for anywhere close to less than $500! :p

Looks great.

4. Drunkinminer

Drunkinminer Tele-Holic

Feb 3, 2008
    Canada
    If you look around you'll be surprised at the deals that are out there.

5. BritishBluesBoy

BritishBluesBoy Former Member

Oct 19, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    This was mine until recently...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Jeff_K

Jeff_K Friend of Leo's

Aug 14, 2009
    Katy, TX
    I know, me too! That was like a challenge, and the reason I kind of rambled on a little in my post. It CAN be done for a reasonable price if you so choose. Of course, you can go top shelf and get the big name parts and easily spend $500-1000 and have a guitar worth every penny, and yet still a huge bargain. It doesn't get much simpler than a single HB. I'm crap with a soldering iron and it still worked out fine, though the full size 500k pots are a tight fit in the cavity with all the wires. You have to be strategic with the placement of the wires.

I'm not much of a photog but here's a straight-on shot. I didn't post it because the color is a little washed out, whereas my first shot was true color (it's kind of yellowish on the lighter stain).

cab4.jpg

I encourage you to give it a try. It wasn't hard to stay inexpensive and the wiring is easy. You do have to be careful if you stain pine, though. It can be very blotchy so be sure to use a pre-stain treatment. Heck, even water works, the pine is so absorbent. And if you mess it up you can always paint it like Fender does. I would HIGHLY recommend Marc Rutters' pine bodies from here rather than the crap shoot of eBay. Hard to beat his combination of delivered price and excellent quality. [fine print: I have no connection to Marc other than being a happy customer.] Good luck!

7. eddiewagner

eddiewagner Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 6, 2005
    ROCK!linghausen/germany
    did you sell it for a lens? eddie

8. Hollmanp90

Hollmanp90 Tele-Afflicted

Feb 10, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Very Lovely "inspired by" guitar........

I was one of the group that said........

" You can't build one for under $500".....going to stick by that statement.......

With that said, you can build a nice "inspired by",that sorta gives you that vibe $500.

Please, I come in peace.......you built a fine machine........Enjoy.

9. sunkidd

sunkidd Tele-Holic

Mar 17, 2003
    San Diego
    Here is mine again....
    [​IMG]

also one that I tried out for a while....
    [​IMG]

10. Hollmanp90

Hollmanp90 Tele-Afflicted

Feb 10, 2009
    Hamilton County
    OG' PLANKSTERS !!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Coming soon.......

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. allen st. john

allen st. john Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2003

Very cool. You're just a *tiny* bit north of the $210 in 2010 Tele Build threshold, and if you had entered, you would have gotten my vote.
    As it was, I voted for a Cabronita inspired design.

I don't know how much it's been noted before, but I like how the Cab--and many Cab-inspired guitars--nod to the original Fender, the 1949 Pine prototype (the Custom shop reissue is pictured below)

As a guy with no money who's been way too long without an NGD, your thread was inspirational. Thanks.

cheers
    Allen

[​IMG]

12. KevinB

KevinB Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 4, 2007
    New Jersey
    Here's my Cabronita Deluxe, although this is just a mock-up as I'm waiting for the lacquer to fully cure before polishing it out.

The body is again one of Marc's (he's been a busy guy with all these Cab bodies!), a 3lb 8oz chambered single piece Honduran mahogany with a maple cap ($125). The neck is a flame maple Strat neck from Musikraft's eBay shop with a pau ferro fretboard ($175). The pickup is a TV Jones classic and the bridge is a Hipshot. The hardware is either from Marc or from Glendale with Gotoh vintage white button tuners. My total outlay will be around $700.

I'm still not sure how to wire it. I need to set up a test with a bunch of different caps. If I find one cap I really like I'll wire in a no-load tone pot. If I find two I like I'll go for a push-pull tone pot. I'm hoping to be all finished in a month or so.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. bzablo

bzablo Tele-Meister

Jan 3, 2010
    Naples, FL
    After reading all of these posts, and seeing all of these beautiful guitars, I just HAD to e-mail Mr. Rutters myself! I've been dying to have one of these "Special Little Bastards," to call my own! I hope Marc can help me out too! Thank you everyone for this page of inspiration!

14. KevinB

Mar 4, 2007
    New Jersey
    Marc will take care of you! He's a great guy to deal with and really goes out of his way to provide great service, support and advice. The body I received from him is as good quality as anything I've seen, and of course he'll route it just about any way you want it. His prices are very low for the quality he provides.

Oh, and his hardware is like guitar jewelry, every bit as good as Callaham and Glendale.

15. bzablo

bzablo Tele-Meister

Jan 3, 2010
    Naples, FL
    I saw! I would love to see some in person (on my beauftiful new La Cab) soon! After some photoshopping, this is what I've come up with for my little bastard: [​IMG]

16. barkley

barkley Tele-Afflicted

Aug 6, 2009
    Australia
    Am I missing something here? They are all very nice looking guitars, but what sets them apart from a normal tele?

17. KevinB

Mar 4, 2007
    New Jersey
    Love the surf green with maple neck!

18. Fearnot

Fearnot Friend of Leo's

Jan 17, 2010
    Decatur, GA
    That's beautiful, Jeff. I think I'd want a fatter neck, but whatthehell.

19. xjazzy

xjazzy Friend of Leo's

Feb 17, 2007
    Portugal
    1st: the pickups.
    2nd: the bridge.
    3rd: the controls.

20. bzablo

bzablo Tele-Meister

Jan 3, 2010
    Naples, FL
    They're just a very limited release model from the Fender custom shop. The main differences are the pickups (tv jones HBs), pickgaurd, rear route controls, and the wiring. If you go to http://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list%3Fp%3D07ED3F6DA67A5E99&ei=3NTiS_jqNsSqlAexpr3_AQ&sa=X&oi=video_result&resnum=2&ct=result&cad=15358079600701313266&ved=0CEcQ7gcwAQ&usg=AFQjCNFJmvyprPvs8HRJ5SBbeTLB4Zjy8w you can hear and learn what the major differences are.

Thank you! I've always loved surf green teles, and have wanted a la cab since their release, and have finally decided it's time to build my own and paint it the most beautiful color of all!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.