Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Show us what you build besides guitars

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by chillman, Jan 30, 2012.

1. Ed P

Ed P Friend of Leo's

Nov 9, 2006
    California
    Jeez - I can barely build a sandwich.

2. HardlyDangerous

HardlyDangerous Tele-Holic

Nov 29, 2010
    Muskoka Ontaio Canada
    Great job !
    I often stain my paper with tea or coffee. To get the uneven affects I'll use my air brush to fan in darker areas.

3. rcampbell

rcampbell TDPRI Member

Dec 5, 2010
    Canada
    This is my other hobby :)

[​IMG]

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Tidepoolbay

Tidepoolbay Friend of Leo's

Jan 27, 2009
    Franklin New Jersey
    Great work everyone!

6. woodturner

woodturner Tele-Meister

Apr 26, 2009
    Antelope
    I make everything from vintage airplane and boat restoration parts to furniture. When you're a hobbyist who works for free it is very easy to find projects.

Here is a photo of a prop I made for an aviation museum.

Regards,

Attached Files:

7. Guitarnut

Guitarnut Friend of Leo's

Jun 29, 2009
    USA
    Not a guitar but guitar related. This is a short stack I built last year to house a Vox AC4TV and a 12" Eminence. Maple with a pine baffle and Tru Oil finish.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mark

8. TxTeleMan

TxTeleMan Tele-Afflicted

Jul 1, 2008
    Austin, Texas
    Dang!

There are some mighty talented people on this here board... y'all are so much more than just guitar players.

I am duly impress, and in awe of your talents.

9. Guitarnut

Jun 29, 2009
    USA
    This started out as a hobby some 15 years ago. It's now my day job. These are a sampling of the projects I've worked on in my 11 year history with my current employer as an Video Editor and 2D/3D Animator.

These are on my personal YouTube channel and no company name or link is present.

Mark

Last edited: Feb 3, 2012
  10. Guitarnut

Jun 29, 2009
    USA
    I just browsed back thru this thread. I'm speechless. The level of talent and diverse interests is just staggering. The fact that all are tied together by an interest in something as mainstream as guitars really surprises me. Or, maybe it doesn't. The guitar is so many things to so many people.

As much as I have been thrilled to be a part of the guitar building family that is TDPRI, I'm now beyond proud and knowing the depth of the talent here, I'll never look at the build threads in quite the same way.

Well done all!!! Many thanks to chillman for kicking this off.

Mark

11. fretman_2

fretman_2 Friend of Leo's

May 9, 2011
    Mobile, AL
    Wow...love it!!

12. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    I used to build furniture back in the disco era but once I started to build guitars, well that took over much of my building time. Here is my homemade cnc router that I designed and built. I machined my own linear bearings which I though was pretty cool at the time. I don't use it any more as I developed a controller issue and it was just easier to buy one than make another. This cranked out a lot of those early pine bodies.
    [​IMG]

13. fretman_2

fretman_2 Friend of Leo's

May 9, 2011
    Mobile, AL
    One of these days...if I continue to build guitars, CNC will be the way to go.

14. Jack Wells

Jack Wells Doctor of Teleocity

Oct 19, 2003
    Albuquerque, USA
    Not me. If you're going to build guitars, I say build guitars.

15. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    Come on Jack ....holding onto a router sitting on an old template is hardly building a guitar.... :). The only difference between a cnc and that template method is I don't have to hold onto the router with my hands. It's an electronic template...yeah...that's it..

I glue up my blanks, plane them down, drill the holes, drill the ferrule holes, sand, roundover on the router table just like everybody else....:). I even bandsaw the body out of the waste and flush trim the last .10 of wood that I leave at the bottom.

It's not like the Jetsons show yet....LOL.

10 years from now, every woodworker that wants one will be able to have one...just like a router is now.
    http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_SPA5772S5843388701P?prdNo=4&blockNo=4&blockType=G4

Last edited: Feb 3, 2012
  16. kwerk

kwerk Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 22, 2010
    New Zealand
    Nice work, Mark.

Mine did have the link but I'm so indisposed to working on that kind of thing I couldn't even be bothered opening up the edit software to remove the relevant bits off the end of it!! :rolleyes:

17. nickhofen

nickhofen Friend of Leo's

:eek:
    fantastic job WWI ?what airplane?

It is remarkable how the pilots manage to fly their airplanes with no parachutes,exposed to all weather conditions, with non variable pitch props...

18. Colt W. Knight

Colt W. Knight Doctor of Teleocity

Jan 21, 2007
    Tucson, AZ
    Just finished these. They are teaching aids for learning how to age white tail deer using their lower jaw.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. woodturner

woodturner Tele-Meister

Apr 26, 2009
    Antelope
    This one was a 4 foot version of a Sopwith Pup but with U.S. rotation. The museum has it mounted on a small 28hp Lawrance from a 1918 Breese Penguin.

[​IMG]

Two of us restored the majority of the reciprocating engines for the museum. I did the work on the wood props.

20. jpbturbo

jpbturbo Tele-Afflicted

Dec 30, 2010
    Banner Elk, NC
    These,
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and these,
    [​IMG]

But nowadays I'm mostly busy with these little guys,
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

21. adirondak5

adirondak5 Poster Extraordinaire

Oct 24, 2009
    Long Island NY
    Here's some fishing poles I've built , from ultra lights for Brookies to my bass rods for Largemouth and Smallies. I shape the cork rings for the grips on a threaded rod in my drill with sandpaper , wind the ferrules and guides and epoxy them , then they go on a rod rotisserie and turn slowly for about 8 hours till the epoxy sets up , keeps drips from forming on the wraps .

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.