Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Show Off Your Firebird

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by twintwelve, Jan 25, 2011.

1. RocknRollShakeUp

RocknRollShakeUp TDPRI Member

Dec 17, 2017
    USA
    Here's my example:
    This is a Kauer Banshee, a version 1. Before the cease and desist letter from Gibson. I really wanted one of these, so I was fortunate to find one, but in a "firemist red" color that I had a "like, hate" relationship with.

I made the expensive decision to refinish it. I hired Matt Eady, of Eady guitars, to do it. He does top notch finishing/refinishing (used to work for Benedetto guitars, and the Gibson Custom shop), so if you need a killer refinishing job look him up, he's in Athens GA. The guitar also had some sharp fret ends, and the bridge posts stuck way out. The nut was also cut too low and the low E buzzed too much. So I had Matt fix these things too. It also had a very white pick guard. I had Scott Baxendale of Baxendale guitars age the pickuard for me.

I also changed the Kauer hot wind Wolfetone pickups (the bridge was too hot and nasally for me since I play mainly clean to edge of breakup) to Lollartrons. I also changed the black plastic pickup rings to flat steel ones.

Well I am super happy with the aesthetic results. The refinish job is flawless, and I love the color! The Lollartrons may be a bit thin and bright sounding in this guitar, but I have an empress para eq and I dialed in a monster tone, so I sort of cheated...but I may try to find a regular humbucker size WDR type pickup, or maybe put in a low wind clean sounding PAF style, or maybe like a Fralin P92..any other ideas? I'm looking for a Fat Tele tone, but with some chime too maybe, but a fat Tele bridge tone is sort of my ideal. I love the look of these lollartrons too though! Maybe I could send them to Lollar to rewind the bridge for a bit more girth and a touch more upper mids..

Anyway, here she is!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

drmmrr55 likes this.

2. drmmrr55

drmmrr55 Tele-Meister

Aug 20, 2017
    Federal Way, Washington
    My 2016 non e-tune Firebird V, I never play it, (the neck is in the wrong place relative to my other guitars), but I think it's the most beautiful axe in my collection! BirdinCase1.JPG
    IMG_0014.JPG

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
    brookdalebill likes this.

3. bender66

bender66 Friend of Leo's

Jan 18, 2010
    on my bike
    Is that strap button on the upper bout/edge? I moved mine to the back of the neck heel & it brought the neck in a bit closer. Mines just a copy though.

4. drmmrr55

drmmrr55 Tele-Meister

Aug 20, 2017
    Federal Way, Washington
    No, there is no button on the upper bout, it's on the neck heel in back. It just looks like it does in the case because there's a clearance space in the pocket for one. I only play the guitar when I'm sitting in a chair because the neck location is a non-issue then. I could use it on stage, but it would take a few weeks to adjust to it, it just feels weird chording in first position, like when you play a 1st position A, sometimes I end up with a B flat if I'm not paying attention. I almost feel like I'm holding a Bass when I strap it on. I'm still in love with it though....

bender66 likes this.

5. bender66

bender66 Friend of Leo's

Jan 18, 2010
    on my bike
    I completely understand. I've said it before, a Firebird is like the Cadillac of guitars.

Funny an automobile designer came up with it.

drmmrr55 likes this.

6. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Ad Free Member

May 10, 2003
    Near Milwaukee
    70's Tribute Bird.....

[​IMG]

tce63 likes this.

7. tce63

tce63 Tele-Holic

Jan 18, 2013
    Sweden

Nice family

8. bossaddict

bossaddict Tele-Meister

Jul 22, 2014
    Birmingham, AL
    My latest addition: '64 Firebird III

[​IMG]

9. tce63

tce63 Tele-Holic

Jan 18, 2013
    Sweden
    Great find,looks fantastic, HNGD

bossaddict likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.