Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Show Off Your Firebird

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by twintwelve, Jan 25, 2011.

1. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx

2. LGOberean

LGOberean Poster Extraordinaire

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    Anyone here have Cavalier Phoenix Firebird pups in their Firebird? Just curious about them. Rob DiStefano is one of our own, and for that reason and more I'm interested in them. I would like to get input from my TDPRI brethren about them.

3. bossaddict

bossaddict TDPRI Member

Jul 22, 2014
    Birmingham, AL
    1990 V Reissue. I added the vintage vibrola (note the tailpiece holes ;) ) and knobs.

[​IMG]

4. ce24

ce24 Friend of Leo's

Jan 26, 2008
    Idahoastan
    [​IMG]

My 96 Epi....People dis the bolt on neck... But this thing plays like butter and has great tone so I'm a happy member...

Cheers

richey88 and AngelDeville like this.

5. Badkat

Badkat TDPRI Member

Mar 17, 2017
    So ca
    50956727409__5E0C88CD-33CF-4A4F-AE6C-8106E6A01FC1.JPG 50956723472__90E8CEC2-28F1-4D81-8F97-8278C0F7A75F.JPG Here's mine! Custom Z Reverse

6. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

Jul 28, 2009
    philly suburbs
    Had a black one. I miss it terribly.

AngelDeville likes this.

7. AngelDeville

AngelDeville Tele-Afflicted

Dec 27, 2007
    Albuquerque

8. greebo830

greebo830 TDPRI Member

Feb 23, 2009
    stockport
    As I've mentioned in some other threads, I got my Epi JB Firebird 1 a few weeks ago. I've always wanted a Firebird, and the Firebird 1 was one of my dream guitars. I instantly feel in love with it its become my main guitar, 2 weeks after it arrived I was trawling the web and noticed that certain UK shops were selling the Gibson 2017 Firebird T for £1059. being the guitar addict I am (108 Guitars & counting) well I couldn't resist and it arrived 48 hours later.

I'll start with fit and finish, since I've heard a lot of complaints about QC issues on new Gibson guitars. This thing is pretty much flawless as near as I can tell. No tool marks, finish is immaculate, binding and inlays are flush. The fretwork is excellent too. Quite impressive, especially for a neck through guitar at this price point.

The neck is seriously thin on this beast and yet feels just like a old friend once I started playing it. it measures .790 @ the 1st fret and .830 @ the 12th fret (Epi Firebird is .877 1st Fret & .996 12th Fret). The board was a little dry and needed a little relief but once oiled and adjusted she plays like a dream.

The weight and balance are great, yes the neck feels a little further away so a little adjustment of strap will sort that - its no worse than if I'm playing my 2012 SG 50's tribute with the 24 frets. The weight of mine is 7LB 12oz, the Epi weighs in at 7LBS 8oz.

I can honestly say that I don't mind the stock pickups. I ran it through my rig the moment I had the guitar was adjusted. They needed lowering but once that was done I could get a usable firebird sound (2 of my heros are steve clark of Def Leppard & Allen Collins, with this guitar I could get Steve sound from the pyromania era and Allens tone with ease).I probably will end up swapping the pickups out for some Mojo Firebird mini's or winterizers by oilcity pickups but at the moment their fine.

One more thing I've gotta mention are these gearless tuners it comes with. They're really cool! They do take a bit of getting used to, but I really like the design and they seem very stable. Once the new strings were stretched this guitar stays very solidly in tune, even with heavy string bending. All in all a fantastic little guitar.

[​IMG]

A Picture of her with her little sister
    [​IMG]

9. sangandongo

sangandongo TDPRI Member

Jan 2, 2009
    Seattle, WA
    Here's my '63 FB VII and it's counterpart, a '63 FB III. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. bossaddict

bossaddict TDPRI Member

Jul 22, 2014
    Birmingham, AL
    Here's my new-to-me 1965 non-reverse Inverness Green Firebird I...

[​IMG]

Widerange Hum and EllroyJames like this.

11. zela

zela TDPRI Member

Oct 11, 2017
    US
    Will a Firebird Zero count?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.