Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Show Me Your Beaters

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by WrayGun, Nov 20, 2017.

1. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    I don't have a beater. :oops:

I have some cheap guitars, and I have an old Ibby Roadstar that I've stripped and modded, but I still take care of it...

Boomhauer and radiocaster like this.

2. Sparky2

Sparky2 Tele-Holic

Apr 15, 2017
    Harvest, Alabama
    My 2008 JBP acoustic.

Bought it from Gadsden Music brand new, on sale for $138, down from a list price of $188.

Used it as 'the guitar we keep at the hangar for Christmas parties, fooling around, impromptu practices, and singing happy birthday to the ladies'.

I put a KISS sticker on it a few years ago to cover up a ding, but it's got plenty more dings and chips on her.

But I carry it to live gigs all the time, because is sound great plugged in, has a low easy action, and it always stays in tune!!

Funny story; A friend was helping me to break-down after a gig we played for a huge organizational Safety Day two years ago.
    He had his hands full with mic stands and such, but wanted to carry the guitar too, to save trips to the truck.

Sure enough, Rick flung it over his back by the strap, a la Johnny Cash, with a big grin, and I started to shout, "No buddy, that guitar doesn't have Strap-Loooo......", and *crash* it went to the concrete floor.

Even to this day, and with a crushed lower bout, that damned JBP guitar sounds great, plays great, and stays in tune.

She's my beater, and we call her 'the KISS guitar', just because.

:)

[​IMG]

brookdalebill likes this.

3. dannew02

dannew02 Friend of Leo's

Apr 2, 2010
    Erin Prarie, WI
    All it needs now, is a sticker of a duck. “Quack Master” is an awesome name!

bender66 likes this.

4. dannew02

dannew02 Friend of Leo's

Apr 2, 2010
    Erin Prarie, WI
    IMG_2186.JPG
    It’s s 90’s MIK Squier Bullet. Honestly I only bought it, to harvest the neck to build a Tele partscaster with, but I’m having so much fun playing the dang thing, I haven’t done anything to it other than clean the stickers (and, um, DNA) off it.
    IMG_2189.JPG
    I think someone upgraded the bridge pickup And wiring, because it sounds killer through my VHT, and the knobs and switch are smooth and perfectly functional. The last 2 Bullets I got, were either outright broken, or suffered from cheap electronic parts.
    Oh, and I paid $60 for it, from Goodwill.

Pickcity, Zepfan and Jakedog like this.

5. Jay Jernigan

Jay Jernigan Tele-Meister

Feb 11, 2013
    10-uh-C
    1979 Silver Anniversary Strat.
    Bought new. Installed the Lawrence L-250's in 1982. Got the middle one from Old Bill himself; other two used.
    Lime gold color from years of accumulated "Tonk Dew" in spite of it being the stiffest guitar I have EVER played. Twice dressed frets didn't help.
    Upper horn shiny from abandoned attempt to remove the crud.
    Strung with 14-64 strings and tuned C, G, C, E, G, C, Low to High.
    Pretty much a slide monster.
    Miss Annie

Attached Files:

6. Minimalist518

Minimalist518 Tele-Holic

Mar 5, 2017
    Albany
    Love it! Well done sir, well done! It’s a *tone* hook holding the output jack!

Jakedog and Sollipsist like this.

7. Minimalist518

Minimalist518 Tele-Holic

Mar 5, 2017
    Albany
    I love the single ‘bucker Strat! That is a road warrior, that is!

8. Minimalist518

Minimalist518 Tele-Holic

Mar 5, 2017
    Albany
    IMG_2775.JPG
    My beater is my #1 She shouldered her way to the front of the pack!

Pickcity, fidopunk, hellopike and 4 others like this.

9. noah330

noah330 Tele-Afflicted

Feb 10, 2009
    Maryland
    I paid $125 for this in 1990. L series Fender Mustang with original Fender instruction book.

Probably one of the worst guitars I have ever played. It comes out of the case maybe every 3 years.

[​IMG]

PixMix, fidopunk and hellopike like this.

10. theleman

theleman Tele-Meister

Sep 11, 2017
    Mars
    A great thread. Very nice instruments.

Pickcity and brookdalebill like this.

11. trev333

trev333 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

my first born has had a lot of beatings....and still continues to shine...:D

marks on tele.JPG

12. 61fury

61fury Tele-Afflicted

Aug 28, 2009
    knoxville, TN
    Crap pawn shop "Marigold" version of a venerable crap guitar. I bought it for the neck, salvaged the hardware and tossed the body in the woods. Went back a week later for the body, afterall, a body is a body

Since then it's been a valuable test mule for cosmetic changes ( sparkle PG and cloth covered pup) neck and pickup swaps, oh and my first fret level.

Great travel and beach guitar as well. Disposable and pretty much worthless but I will never part with it.

Harmunionglow.jpg

In harm's way surf side

timguitsand.jpg

Minimalist518, Pickcity and hellopike like this.

13. CK Dexter Haven

CK Dexter Haven Tele-Holic

Jun 7, 2017
    GCDB
    I don't have much that qualifies as a beater, at least in my mind, I like to think of it as "Patina" One is a old 00 style MIJ acoustic from the '70s that I use for slide due to the mile high action, it had a brass nut & saddle when I got it, so it actually sound sort of like a reso..in a way. It's some where in my spare room, so no pix, but it would burn nice.

The other is a Maganvox era Ampeg B-15, My H.S. bought it new in the late 70's I played in in "Stage Band", they hammered on it for years, and then left it in a corner to die. Over time they lost the dolly (or auto shop stole it) , and blew the output tranny, which was repaired by a small town tech w/ a generic replacement..no can? no problem! I will just clamp a Hammond box on top of it. Still works, some day I will have it restored, but for now, it is what it is, traded a few hours of theater tech work for it.

14. Platefire

Platefire Friend of Leo's

Nov 3, 2003
    North Louisiana around Many
    If that's your beater, bring out your top dog and let us see that!!

I've always admired the White Falcon---fine!

15. Brian Krashpad

Brian Krashpad Tele-Afflicted

Jan 25, 2007
    GNV FLA USA

16. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

Jul 28, 2009
    philly suburbs
    IMG_0313.JPG IMG_0066.JPG

2 new beaters. I wanted to put a P-90 in the Epi, but I love the stock pickups! The Affinity Tele is ripe for modding.....the doctor is in!

Pickcity and Boomhauer like this.

17. sonny wolf

sonny wolf Friend of Leo's

Jun 16, 2009
    austin texas
    For many years this AVRI 62 was my number one.I bought her in 2000 brand new and every scratch and ding is from natural wear and tear including the cracked body (I was doing a silly 'Jimi' tribute once at a gig and thought she was tough enough to absorb being dropped...oops!!).She still sounds and plays great with the true mojo of a well played guitar(a relic can't ever come close!!).

19141687_10209578323603141_1145404910_n.jpg

19114708_10209578322963125_646843905_n.jpg

19114400_10209578324083153_100072313_n.jpg

19198647_10209578321763095_182970576_n.jpg

Minimalist518 likes this.

18. wayloncash

wayloncash Tele-Afflicted

Apr 7, 2012
    Houston, TX

19. jaybones

jaybones Tele-Afflicted

Beat me to it.

[​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.