Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Show Me Your Beaters

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by WrayGun, Nov 20, 2017.

1. WrayGun

WrayGun Tele-Afflicted

May 5, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Okay, let's see your favorite beater guitars. Something you could build a fire with if you had to.

Here's mine: a 1974 Yamaha FG360N. Plays great and sounds pretty good ...

IMG_9222.JPG

2. Mike SS

Mike SS Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 9, 2012
    Nebraska
    Your "beater" doesn't look too beat.

3. sds1

sds1 Tele-Meister

May 4, 2017
    Orlando, FL, USA
    My collection of vintage beaters:

[​IMG]

4. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Ad Free Member

May 10, 2003
    Near Milwaukee
    Yamaha 753S....I think it's about 18 years old. Solid top. Fake sycamore back & sides.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Squier Jazz Bass for recording at home. $85 craigslist score. It's rough in places but it works just fine. Squier II (Korea) strat - it's made from two sheets of plywood glues together. All original from 1987. I rescued it from Music Go Round.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Last, the tiny travelers. Martin LXM in black. My tiny Johnny Cash-looking dread. I've left the country with it at least 20 times. The hog top Baby Taylor; It's a great couch noodling guitar but I don't fly with it because it's 100% wood. The black Martin is Formica.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

I'll include Melody Makers. Canoe paddles with strings. They are great fun and they always bring out the little kid in me.

[​IMG]

5. Blazer

Blazer Doctor of Teleocity

Dec 2, 2003
    The Netherlands
    My beater is my self made "Son of Fido" Which I made using a Musima strat neck and a piece of walnut, which I routed to have an Sg shape.
    DSC01204.JPG "NPK" stands for "No Problem Kids" which was the name of my very first band.
    DSC01205.JPG

I modded the tar out of it. This picture shows it in 2010 and in 2017 showing the extend of me...errr..PERFECTING it.
    [​IMG]

And here's an even earlier picture.
    [​IMG]

If I could go back in time I would tell myself NOT to take the Kahler off, it kept the thing in tune so well.

Pickcity, richiek65, TigerG and 3 others like this.

6. noah330

noah330 Tele-Afflicted

Feb 10, 2009
    Maryland
    Headstock repair, worn out fretboard and due to the horrible qc @ Gibson a worn out neck but it sounds killer!!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

mnutz, Pickcity, TigerG and 5 others like this.

7. LGOberean

LGOberean Poster Extraordinaire

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    mnutz, Pickcity, Rustbucket and 5 others like this.

8. Sollipsist

Sollipsist Tele-Meister

Aug 25, 2016
    20171120_223115.jpg

Unique custom shop options include, but are not limited to:
    • J-hook screw holding on the output jack
    • 5 bridge screws instead of 6 for optimal atmospheric tone transfer
    • Conspicuously absent locking nut
    • Sticker, candle wax and organic greaseburst finish
    • Texas Special pickups
    • Ground wire conveniently located in the tremolo arm socket

9. Platefire

Platefire Friend of Leo's

Nov 3, 2003
    North Louisiana around Many
    Nice Looking Beaters there! Something special about a beater! especially when you got your sweat and blood in it and may have resurrected it from the dead:>)

I'd like to share my favorite beater. A ION strat copy I rescued from a thrift shop for $20. It had the following issues:
    1-Body was cracked in two places
    2-A bunch of heavy dings/dints behind bridge
    3-Whammy bar was missing but the threaded section was broke off in the trem block.

The good thing is the guitar was all intact regarding all it's parts. I found out the body is Maple which is kind of rare for a body wood. This is the repairs/mods I did:
    1-Drilled pilot holes through the two cracks, installed deck screws through the cracks which when tightened up pulled the cracks up taut. Covered the pilot holes up with carpenters putty, sanded and painted.
    2-Installed 2004 Fender Hwy 1 USA Fender strat pickups and rewired with 240K used CTS tele pots I had on hand(the reason for different knobs).
    3-Replace string trees with Dynaguide that are my favorite for strats.
    4-Couldn't retrieve broke of whammy bar from block, so I purchased a new Affinity Squire 2 1/16" spread whammy, installed and set up for floating.

This is probably more detail than you want to hear but I guess I can't help myself%>/ Other than my personal strat setup, that's it and the thing plays like a charm. I named it the "Quackmaster". Platefire
    ION Upgrade 005.jpg
    IMG_20160210_131050.jpg

Last edited: Nov 21, 2017

10. 4 Cat Slim

4 Cat Slim Friend of Leo's

Oct 17, 2012
    Nelson City TX
    Most of you folks have some really nice beaters!

11. DaphneBlue

DaphneBlue Tele-Meister

Jul 22, 2017
    Switzerland
    A friend of mine stuck a p90 (seymour duncan dogear) in it. It just fits the soundhole. It's his live guitar and he plugs it in a vox ac15. He performs a lot and can't get rid of it. He calls it a killer :)

Minimalist518 likes this.

12. DaphneBlue

DaphneBlue Tele-Meister

Jul 22, 2017
    Switzerland
    This is my gibson j35. It is played everywhere, all the time. Despite the harsh treatment, it knows how to shine. It's a polished rock that became pure beauty.

20170503_174507.jpg

Pickcity and brookdalebill like this.

13. jvin248

jvin248 Friend of Leo's

Apr 18, 2014
    Near Detroit, MI

IMG_20170206_123206sm.jpg StratandGlobal_IMG_4737c.JPG IMG_20170816_114320.jpg

This last one had been beat on pretty bad before I got it and I did a few repairs (well all of these were beat on before I got them needing significant repairs). It currently has black pickup rings, orange PRS knobs, brass switch tip, and a black truss cover that covers up the Santana model name.

14. TMMC

TMMC Tele-Afflicted

Apr 3, 2013
    SLC
    1984 US HSS Strat. It's taken a thousand licks and still ticks. I love it.

Strat.JPG

15. Dr Improbable

Dr Improbable Tele-Meister

Aug 14, 2015
    Wisconsin
    My Frankentele:

376.JPG

My Cigar Box Guitars:

002.JPG

All built for beatin'.

16. voodooblues

voodooblues Friend of Leo's

Sep 12, 2012
    Berwyn, Il
    I bet the Texas Specials sound good

Jakedog likes this.

17. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Tele-Holic

Jan 26, 2012
    Troy, MO
    Dr. Improbable's Frankentele: I think I am in love.

But every other guitar in this thread is interesting and the anecdotes are inspiring. What a killer thread idea.

I wish I had a photo of my stickered-up 64ish Melody Maker with one back-slanted strat pickup at the bridge. The guitar's disassembled right now and I can't seem to find the photos I had of it before I took it apart to try making a more substantial and less ugly pickguard.

That was probably 10 years ago. I shoulda never disassembled that guitar, which sounded great and was fun to play. I let the mojo escape.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.