Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Show me your amp !!

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by TheGoodGuy, Jun 28, 2014.

1. TheGoodGuy

TheGoodGuy TDPRI Member

Jun 26, 2014
    Tangerang
    The guitar amplifier is a very important piece of tone, bad amp could ruin an expensive guitar and loads of effects! I need more reviews of amps! I just want to expand my knowledge more :D imho reviews would be more accurate when the review is made by the owner which always play it often

Show me your amp, post a picture of it, and tell me something about it! (Characters, power/loudness, price, specialities, etc)

TexasTim likes this.

2. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

Jan 12, 2011
    Snellman MN
    A lot of the amp selection process depends on the skill level of the player and what your trying to sound like. An example some guys are happy and sound great with nothing more than a guitar, cord, and a Twin Reverb.
    If you want to play death metal a rig like that isn't going to make you happy at all. (pedals may help though)
    Also what kind of playing you do matters. Not much point in a full Marshall stack for basement jams.

3. codamedia

codamedia Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2009
    Western Canada
    My main amps are a pair of Music Mans. When Leo Fender left Fender Music Man was his next major business venture.

They look like a Fender Twin, but don't sound much like them. These are hybrid amps - solid state front end and tube output. The output can be run in two modes, LO which runs like most amps with a 400+ voltage on the output tubes and HI which runs with 700+ voltage on the tubes. In HI mode the amp is designed to provided clean headroom to spare.

These amps are built tough, very loud, very clean, do not overdrive until cranked and at that point it's you ears that are distorting more than the amp :lol: The amps have not been available since the mid eighties but re-issues are being released this year as a joint venture between MARKBASS (Italy) and Ernie Ball.

Notable users include Eric Clapton (70's), Chet Atkins (80's - his death in 2001), Albert Lee (70's - Present), etc... In general - they are more popular in country music than any other style.

The one on the left is a 1981 - 75 watt, 6L6 tubes.
    The one on the right is a 1979 - 65 watt, EL34 tubes.

Attached Files:

4. adkima00

adkima00 Tele-Afflicted

Feb 27, 2012
    Well, I have a 112 bandit and a 212 crate, by my main amp is a Boot Hill 5e3 that I built a year or so ago. I just scraped the pennies together to get a real cab for it. It was in an old peavey cab until now. Just started with the shellac this morning.

image-3836645601.jpg

5. Ed Storer

Ed Storer Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

May 27, 2010
    Seattle WA
    Same amp 2 cabs

'69 Super Reverb - blackfaced.

The 2 x 10 configuration is running JJ 6V6s power tubes and a 5R4 rectifier. I had to change the bias resistor to get the bias to dial in on the 6V6's.

It does sound really fine, but IMO nothing sounds as good as a vintage SR with CTS speakers and the original tube configuration.

Attached Files:

6. bullfrogblues

bullfrogblues Friend of Leo's

Jun 5, 2011
    Southeast Florida
    Main amp, Bogner Shiva EL34/reverb head, 112 Shiva cab.
    [​IMG]

7. adkima00

adkima00 Tele-Afflicted

Feb 27, 2012
    Finished the shellac and buttoned it up tonight...

image-3998661762.jpg

CanuckBluesman, PaulieBoy and bobbyg like this.

8. Jeff_K

Jeff_K Friend of Leo's

Aug 14, 2009
    Katy, TX
    Mine is your basic made in the USA Peavey Bandit 112. It sounds just as good at low volume as high, has a number of different voicing options, and it's just an awesome all around amplifier. There have already been a million words written here about the Bandit so no need for many more from me. It's the only amp I will ever need. I'm not even really sure why I keep all of the other ones.

Attached Files:

PaulieBoy likes this.

9. Phil_tre

Phil_tre Tele-Holic

Oct 31, 2010
    Eastern Canada
    Princeton Reverb Reissue w/ Mather cab and G10 Greenback speaker:

[​IMG]
    Princeton Reverb Ri

Tube Depot 5e3 kit, absolutely amazing sounding amp, works with
    6V6 and 5881, sports Deluxe Reverb transfos:

[​IMG]
    5e3 Tube Depot 002

Mojo 5f11 Vibrolux kit, cool little amp, tighter than a 5e3, clean:

[​IMG]
    5f11 13

10. Kennedycaster

Kennedycaster Tele-Afflicted

Apr 5, 2009
    Mesa, AZ
    Here is my 65 Showman with my home built 6G15 reverb clone. I'm in a surf band & the other guitarist in the band has a 66 Showman, which you can see a little bit of to the right of mine. Two Showmans with reverb units onstage is pure surf heaven!

[​IMG]

Bob

freshchops likes this.

11. TheGoodGuy

TheGoodGuy TDPRI Member

Jun 26, 2014
    Tangerang
    Absolutely beautiful dude! You should be proud of yourself, I've never made myself an amp

12. adkima00

adkima00 Tele-Afflicted

Feb 27, 2012
    Thanks very much, but Dave (Hackworth1) of Boothill Amps puts out a phenomenal product.

13. trev333

trev333 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I mostly play through this Super 210+12" bin at home....

re tubed, recapped, mods done to the gain channel , master V set up.... it cranks now...:)

Attached Files:

14. telex76

telex76 Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Jun 24, 2006
    Fort Worth,Tx.
    Hard to beat any of my Deluxes, whatever the year.

Attached Files:

15. Zillinois

Zillinois Friend of Leo's

Feb 25, 2009
    Seattle
    My current gig rig, '95 Mesa Boogie Tremoverb & '11 Telebration Cabronita.[​IMG]

MachineGunBlues likes this.

16. gitold

gitold Friend of Leo's

Mar 25, 2009
    Greeley Co.
    My 65 amp Tupelo rules the roost and gets played the most. It has an American voice (2 6V6's). Think Princeton on steroid only better. My 65 London pro is a British voiced amp with EL84's. Channel one has a EF86 in the pre amp section and is very Vox AC 15. Channel 2 sounds like a great 18 watt Marshall with it's 12AX7's. Then you can combine both channels for all kinds of fun. My Mesa 5X50 express was another favorite until I bought the 65 Amps. Now it sits in a corner in my jam room and I never use it. But I jam a lot and have 2 or 3 people that come over and love to play it so it stays where it is. My Mesa Transatlantic TA 15 is my living room amp (I live by myself) and it is a great dude that does Marshall, Vox and American tones. My Marshall Class 5 is my computer room amp and it is a 5 watt screamer.

Attached Files:

17. printer2

printer2 Poster Extraordinaire

May 24, 2010
    Canada
    You do realize this just mean I have to build more amps.

18. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Englewood, CO
    My Roland Blues Cube 60 and living proof that it doesn't need tubes to be a great sounding amp.. Absolutely one of the finest club combos ever made. Two channels, footswitch controllable, each with it's own tone stack. Clean is the typical Roland Jazz Chorus clean but with two "crunch settings" that emulate early break up extremely well and are just as touch/guitar volume sensitive as a tube amp. The Lead Channel is voiced like a Marshall w/pre and post gain controls. All analog SS 60w, 1x12, w/tank reverb, presence, tube or SS type rectifier emulation, effects loop. I added an Eminence Cannabis Rex in place of the stock OEM Emi Legend for a more American voicing. Superb speaker.

The other two are my mini pair. A Bugera V5 5w Class A tube combo w/reverb and a built in attenuator that's been modified with a hemp cone Emi 820H/"Chemp" and a different selection of tubes. My Roland Cube 40xl digital which is 100% stock and currently doing duty as an acoustic amp and doing the job very well. Great sounding, simple to use, modeling amp. Very big sound from such a little box.

With the exception of my bass combo (not pictured) that's it until I take gitolds Mesa 5:50 off his hands later this year. The man simply has too many amps. ;) LOL

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 2, 2014

19. sacrificetravis

sacrificetravis Tele-Meister

May 15, 2012
    perryville, md
    Living tone amps 20 watt tweed deluxe head and a gutted bassman reissue cab.

Its a standard 5e3 circuit but with bigger transformers. It a got all the gain on tap I'd ever need but sometimes I struggle to get a good clean tone at a usable volume. Im currently running jj preamp tubes and rectifier with some old rca 6l6s in the power section. I've got some other tubes im gonna try out soon.
    ForumRunner_20140701_224146.jpg

ForumRunner_20140701_224215.jpg

Ripradiant likes this.

20. jipp

jipp Friend of Leo's

nice amps, im a sucker for tweed. the roland blues cube looks good. also that green deluxe looks quite tasty!
    chris.

ps.
    seems easy to recognize the old cubes from the new. normally i have a hard time telling amps apart especially fenders.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.