Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Show me the wear on your 50s Classic Lacquer Tele neck

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Dave_11, Mar 29, 2017.

1. Dave_11

Dave_11 TDPRI Member

Aug 15, 2013
    Central IL
    Just wanting to see what a well played one looks like so I know what to expect out of mine down the road. Does the lacquered fingerboard on these wear like a normal laquered neck, or is there poly underneath the lacquer? Body shots of play wear also appreciated.

2. Dave_11

Dave_11 TDPRI Member

Aug 15, 2013
    Central IL
    Anyone?

Maybe there's nothing to show because these things don't wear...

3. CaineIsCarter

CaineIsCarter TDPRI Member

Apr 29, 2013
    Newcastle
    I don't have a definitive answer for you, but I have the same guitar and recall a post from someone who said his was already starting to wear through to the wood on the body. I don't think he'd lad it a particularly long time, but it had obviously had plenty of play time.

4. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Apr 2, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    Mine is chipped in a few places but nothing to see really. It's a 2014, and I'm working at it--since nothing nitro today is really like the old nitro of yesterday, I'm not holding my breath.

5. Dave_11

Dave_11 TDPRI Member

Aug 15, 2013
    Central IL
    Thanks guys. I've had mine a little over a year, but it's babied so no wear yet.

6. ecosse

ecosse Tele-Meister

Jul 24, 2011
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Mine has forearm and fret board wear as well as some little dings. Some crazing too from zippers and button on shirts. It's a year and a half old and gets played ALOT by myself and others. I'll take some better pictures tomorrow. IMG_0665.JPG IMG_0668.JPG IMG_0793.JPG

7. Dave_11

Dave_11 TDPRI Member

Aug 15, 2013
    Central IL

8. ecosse

ecosse Tele-Meister

Jul 24, 2011
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Here's a few more

IMG_0974.JPG IMG_0975.JPG IMG_0976.JPG

9. Dave_11

Dave_11 TDPRI Member

Aug 15, 2013
    Central IL
    Thanks again ecosse. Looks like the neck edges are wearing exactly like you would expect from nitro lacquer. I've read that there is polyurethane underneath the lacquer, so I was wondering how it would wear.

10. E5RSY

E5RSY Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 5, 2009
    Georgetown, TX
    It's weird how these things vary...my 26-year-old '57 AVRI Strat in my avatar has almost no wear on the neck after all these years...and it does indeed get played.

Uncle Mui likes this.

11. ecosse

ecosse Tele-Meister

Jul 24, 2011
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Hey Dave, I'd say based on how quickly it wore to wood, that there is no poly. I remember a few guys called Fender and the response from them was that its a 100% nitro finish.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2017

12. wyclif

wyclif Tele-Afflicted

Nov 29, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Looks great! I like how you put the black guard on it. I think this model looks better that way, and it's what I'll do when/if I get one. I see them come up on Reverb and eBay sometimes.

13. bottlenecker

bottlenecker Tele-Afflicted

Dec 6, 2015
    Wisconsin
    I only have two weeks on mine, so I'll have to check back later. One of my hollowbodies has a stretch of bare wood shaped like my arm, so I'll enjoy seeing how long it takes this one to get that way. IMG_20170721_153816.jpg

BorderRadio and Nubs like this.

14. Trike12

Trike12 TDPRI Member

Oct 7, 2017
    Hanover pa
    Been awhile for this thread but in case anyone is still curious ive had mine for a mth! Been playing the hell out of it but still. I think theres no doubts these things will wear. This is just one spot but I actually have another spot under the fourth fret as well. Agian one mth playing everyday. 20171024_140614.jpg

15. Trike12

Trike12 TDPRI Member

Oct 7, 2017
    Hanover pa
    Actually to be fair im actually a little worried about the finish. Kinda think this neck wont have any finish left after a few years. This gutiar is BRAND new. oh well I guess people pay huge money for that and ill likely never sell it so its all good. Still finish is thin guys.

16. Dave_11

Dave_11 TDPRI Member

Aug 15, 2013
    Central IL
    Thanks for updating this thread Trike12. I'm not an expert, but that looks more like the finish is chipping off, rather than wearing off from rubbing.

17. sonny wolf

sonny wolf Friend of Leo's

Jun 16, 2009
    austin texas
    They don't put a poly undercoat on the necks...it is straight nitro.They do apply a poly undercoat on the bodies I believe just like how the the 1982-2012 era AVRIs were.

18. Trike12

Trike12 TDPRI Member

Oct 7, 2017
    Hanover pa
    Yup the first spot is chipped away agree 100% the other spot I didnt photo is more of a rubb away. Either way I think that people that wanna wear through a maple board will for sure be able to. To me the only wear that is even close to cool is the finger board wear. Personally I hope the paint on the body never comes off. It can fade a little but I like the paint job lol.

19. ecosse

ecosse Tele-Meister

Jul 24, 2011
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Update: Here’s a couple shots of the neck and body. Couldn’t get any good shots of the fretboard wear but it’s coming along. The stark white tone of the body has subtly started to yellow. Now is getting closer to that banana pudding sort of shade. Especially around the armrest area.

IMG_1794.JPG

IMG_1800.JPG

IMG_1802.JPG

20. Dave_11

Dave_11 TDPRI Member

Aug 15, 2013
    Central IL
    Wow, some noticeable wear since your last post. Thanks for updating. I'm still waiting for the body on mine to darken a bit, to lessen the contrast with the pumpkin orange neck. You can tell how orange the neck lacquer is by looking at the overspray on the side of the nut in your last pic!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.