Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Show me the finish of your 60's Telecaster

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by Major Gruber, Jun 16, 2013.

1. fiestared69

fiestared69 TDPRI Member

Jan 7, 2008
    The Ozarks
    These guitars are not so "pink" anymore, they are more red and gold which I prefer anyway. I own an original 53' Blackguard and I still like the paisley better ,or should I say as well ! playing and sounding wise !
    I had Bill Crook build me a relic Paisley in 2006
    [​IMG]
    He done a real good job trying to copy my 68' from the pictures he was sent ! Great guitar but sorry to say it didn't make the cut when I thinned the herd !

2. fiestared69

fiestared69 TDPRI Member

Jan 7, 2008
    The Ozarks
    Hear is my recent build (2 years old) using an original 1969 neck , I think it came out quite nice and fairly close to the color of the originals !
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Special Brew

Special Brew Tele-Meister

May 1, 2014
    Gutter
    Holy moly! That is a perfect! It is in better condition than my '90's job. Having said that I always seem to go for girls that have been around the block! Guitars like that are not for the likes of me.

4. Major Gruber

Major Gruber Tele-Afflicted

Feb 24, 2012
    Colombes France
    I had the neck corrected and refinished with new much better transition logo copy. Next operation will be either sell the instrument or have it refined if I kee pit (I'm currently on my way to buy my dream guitar which is a 56 and still waiting to know if I will have to sell this one for it or no). If I refin it, it might be in blonde with slight relic job, or maybe… I'm thinking or Candy apple red.

5. 68Telebass

68Telebass Tele-Afflicted

Aug 2, 2014
    Northern Arizona
    68 tele pink paisley bass

Here is the finish of my 68 pink paisley bass- late oct. date on neck

:rolleyes: Ohhh, right- Someone stripped it off at least a decade before it came into my hands- They botched staining it, and then botched getting that off using steel wool or something-

This light cherry stain over the (now properly) stripped down wood was done right after I bought the bass- I then applied many thin coats of flat satin urethane- that was in 1992-

Looks awesome natural- but I want to "dress it up" and put a pick guard, thumb rest and bridge cover on it - it'l look more like a "real" Fender Bass then...

Attached Files:

6. Major Gruber

Feb 24, 2012
    Colombes France
    Neck restauration

In june, I had the neck refretted and refinished.
    As I said, when I got it the neck had been thinned and something was wrong in the playing. Plus the orange color of the body had been applied on the back of the neck and headstock with a very bad copy decal. Something had to be done. I found a much better copy decal (neck is dated august 67) and DNG modified slightly the fretboard, refinished it nicely (the relics cracks are so small that they're very hard to show in pics) and with new vintage frets, it plays like a dream!! I played it the whole summer and it's my best neck since the 1956 I tried and will get within a week now. It'll be very interesting to compare them. Give your guitar to DNG and it'll be NGD! ;)

Attached Files:

7. Telemarkman

Telemarkman Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Dec 6, 2005
    Norway
    That looks amazing, Major! Seems the refretting and refinishing was worth it.

I'm really looking forward to see that 1956 ...

8. happyoldhippy

happyoldhippy TDPRI Member

Oct 8, 2013
    sydney
    just caught up with your post, mate!! (not very diligent, am I?) thanks for the tip!

9. Major Gruber

Feb 24, 2012
    Colombes France
    By the way, I'm talking of dng, luthier in Paris, France :p

10. Major Gruber

Feb 24, 2012
    Colombes France
    Guardless

So I think I'll have a CAR sometimes. But actually, waiting for the right moment I wanted to change pickguard and I was amazed by the beauty of this finish without pickguard. So until I'll have it refinished, it'll show its underguard part. Have you noticed how the part of the wood showing irregularities is only under the pickguard? This one must have been a see through blonde.

Attached Files:

11. tele53

tele53 Tele-Meister

May 28, 2004
    That would look perfect for an Esquire, without the pickguard.

For me a Tele has to show wood either in a butterscotch blonde, blonde/white, or 2 or 3 tone sunburst and one should be able to see grain. Other than that I like various non stock "stripped" wood finishes(like above) which would be mostly applicable in say a partscaster. My personal preference is that I have never liked painted finished Teles. I want to see some wood. Stratocasters however I like in some colors.

12. torikoos

torikoos TDPRI Member

Nov 19, 2014
    Devon, UK
    Gorgeous, I love Tele's with binding, this dark binding on light looks great, mine is a dark sunburst with white binding (not vintage though so I won't show it here, but it's in my avatar). :)

13. Mur

Mur Tele-Afflicted

Jun 30, 2004
    USA
    1969 . . .

[​IMG]

14. bondy1978

bondy1978 TDPRI Member

Feb 13, 2009
    UK

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.