Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Show me the finish of your 60's Telecaster

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by Major Gruber, Jun 16, 2013.

1. bender66

bender66 Friend of Leo's

Jan 18, 2010
    on my bike
    Goregeous.

2. willyb

willyb Tele-Meister

Dec 19, 2013
    omaha, ne
    Here's my 63

Attached Files:

3. dmarcus30

dmarcus30 Tele-Holic

MichaelA...Sorry, she's going in the casket with me! My brother bought it for me in 1971 at a Lake Tahoe pawnshop, with original case....$125.

4. MichaelAa

MichaelAa Tele-Holic

Jun 9, 2012
    Norway
    Enjoy it :p Looks extremely cool!

5. bienteveo

bienteveo TDPRI Member

Dec 4, 2012
    Buenos Aires
    Just curious, have you already picked out a plot? Mind sharing the precise coordinates?

6. lewis

lewis Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2003
    Colorado
    I like the LPB on my Jazzmaster. It's the photo in my avatar.

7. Twinkie

Twinkie Tele-Meister

Jun 4, 2010
    Seattle
    Ah... shucks. :)

I really appreciate the continued interest in my 1960 Telecaster, "Twinkie".

I know, for some the idea of installing a Parsons/White Bender in a vintage Telecaster is a capital offense and for others, it's a dream come true. As the story goes, after Twinkie kicked around the county on his national tour of various Guitar Center locations and landed in Seattle, I was the individual who loved guitar so much that I had to buy it. After I saw this guitar, there was no way I could not buy it. I would've even paid more for it, if I had to.

Anyway, I am happy to say Twinkie is my best friend and is sitting next to me as I type this greeting to all of you.

May all of your dreams come true!

Here's a shot of me and Twinkie in action at a Blues jam:

Original Post:

http://www.tdpri.com/forum/telecaster-discussion-forum/371439-story-twinkie.html

Attached Files:

8. Johnnycyber69

Johnnycyber69 TDPRI Member

Nov 6, 2013
    Alabama
    ImageUploadedByTDPRI1399257117.373406.jpg

63 not the original finish but just thought I'd share

9. Sea Devil

Sea Devil Tele-Afflicted

Sep 23, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    The grain-matching on the body of the OP's guitar is so good (there appears to be a seam about where the control plate is) that I'd be surprised if it weren't originally sunburst. Regardless, it looks very good as is. It would be a shame to cover up that wood, even for the sake of historical correctness.

Otherwise, I would recommend Sonic Blue, Dakota Red, or just plain black. I've never seen a Tele from that era in Blue Ice, Firemist Gold, Charcoal Frost, Teal Green, or Firemist Silver, regardless of the fact that those were available. The vast majority were blond, with sunburst, black, and white appearing to be the next most common. Tele players were either very aesthetically conservative (which they certainly are now), or they just wanted guitars that would go with every color of clothing on stage.

10. dmarcus30

dmarcus30 Tele-Holic

Good one, bienteveo!

Last edited: Jun 11, 2014

11. thefees

thefees Tele-Holic

Sep 8, 2010
    PA-US
    I put a little light sewing machine oil in mine. Word of caution. You have to remove the tuning keys from the guitar otherwise the oil will arrive at the screw holes and penetrate into the guitar showing oil stains.

Attached Files:

12. thefees

thefees Tele-Holic

Sep 8, 2010
    PA-US
    Photo of my 66

I bought this new back then. Traded my $100 new Gibson Melody Maker in plus another $100 and brought it home after cherry picking it out of the others in the store.
    So I didn't think anything about naturalizing the finish and adding a center pickup off of an old 1961 SG Les Paul. It was a P90.
    Using the 66 Telecaster with a distortion pedal was a no go. The pickups weren't waxed and I couldn't turn my Bandmaster Black Face up more than about a quarter of the way without getting crazy feedback; the P90 fixed all of that. The two switches on the wing gave me the ability to use it just like it was never touched, or just the P90, or any combination thereof.
    I stripped it, did a light sanding, and stained it. Then I put several coats of lacquer. Used a rottenstone and oil finish method.
    I really like it the way it is. Still have it.
    This guitar came with .030 fret wire. The new medium jumbos on todays guitars is .035. My 66 has a few areas with a little fret wear down to .029, or .028 but everything including the frets are the originals. The neck pickup went, I still have it, but I replaced it with a Seymour Duncan Vintage Tele neck pickup.
    I included a photo of the neck pocket where you can see the original color.

Attached Files:

13. max1973

max1973 TDPRI Member

May 20, 2013

14. Major Gruber

Major Gruber Tele-Afflicted

Feb 24, 2012
    Colombes France
    Wow, aside any genuine color debate, I like the way she looks as is.
    You say it's a 69, it must be really early 69 as the neck still hasn't a skunk stripe.

15. max1973

max1973 TDPRI Member

May 20, 2013
    Thanks - If I recall correctly the neck stamp says april or may 69, but I haven't taken it apart in a while so I could be wrong.

16. 383roller

383roller TDPRI Member

Jan 14, 2012
    US

17. Major Gruber

Major Gruber Tele-Afflicted

Feb 24, 2012
    Colombes France
    Well that'd be surprising, the only rare 69 without skunk stripe I've seen so far were from january.

18. MichaelAa

MichaelAa Tele-Holic

Jun 9, 2012
    Norway
    We need more pics of this :p

19. 383roller

383roller TDPRI Member

Jan 14, 2012
    US
    :cool:
    Here you go:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. MichaelAa

MichaelAa Tele-Holic

Jun 9, 2012
    Norway
    Daaaamn! Looks unreal, love that color combo + the single ply pickguard. I bet it sounds as good as it looks?

Very Robben Ford ;)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.