Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Show me the finish of your 60's Telecaster

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by Major Gruber, Jun 16, 2013.

1. Major Gruber

Major Gruber Tele-Afflicted

Feb 24, 2012
    Colombes France
    I will receive soon a 1967 Telecaster with a tinted natural wood refinish I think I won't like much (I hate it on the photographs!). I know a very good luthier in Paris that makes gorgeous finishes. I can ask him a precise color and a subtle aging, he's doing always a great job. So for this guitar, I plan to ask him a color correct for 1967. I didn't decide which so far. According to André Duchossoir, it could be : blond ; sunburst ; sonic blue ; olympic white ; black ; foam green ; fiesta red ; dakota red ; candy apple red ; blue ice ; firemist gold ; charcoal frost ; ocean turquoise ; teal green ; firemist silver… Do you have a 64 to 68 Telecaster with a great looking finish in one of those colors? Can you show me your beauty (ies)? I need inspiration to get my conviction. Thanks, I can't wait to see them! MGB

2. codamedia

codamedia Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2009
    Western Canada
    If the rest of the guitar is original, then you must keep in mind that no matter how good a refinish is, it will cut the value of the guitar in half (roughly). If value matters - don't do it.

Another thing to in mind is the grain of the wood. Get a good look when the guitar comes. Normally the naturals were only done on really nice bodies, where they wanted the wood to show. Opaque colors were often used to hide the imperfections.

All that aside - I like the look of a Blonde, so that would be my choice.

3. Major Gruber

Feb 24, 2012
    Colombes France
    Thanks. Of course. That's only because I think it's already a refinish. If the natural finish appear to be original, there's no way I'll touch it.

4. Zac

Zac Tele-Meister

Mar 30, 2003
    TN
    1967 blond example

No natural finishes in 1967.

Here is a shot of my 67 with out the guard on so you can see the unfaded, and faded blond finish.

[​IMG][/url] 1967 Telecaster by Captain Zippy, on Flickr[/IMG]

5. Radspin

Radspin Friend of Leo's

Mar 7, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    Here's my 1969 (April neck date): As you can see it's somewhat faded...there are lighter areas (mostly along the top where your arm rests and on the upper bout) where I had stickers on it and a small dark area (if you look closely there's a small dark rectangle under the control plate) where another sticker caused the finish to darken.

If you look closely there are also two small areas where I drilled holes to install a custom pickguard (ah, the folly of youth) that was bigger than the stock one and then filled them in poorly.

Note -- the pickguard is not original to the guitar but I believe it's an early to mid-'70s guard.

[​IMG]

6. Togman

Togman Tele-Holic

Apr 28, 2004
    Cambridgshire, UK
    Here's my 68. Original finish.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 17, 2013

7. Major Gruber

Feb 24, 2012
    Colombes France
    Thanks guys, nice of you, but is that it? Two blondes and a sunburst? That's all the 60's Telecaster finish one can see on the pre 74 forum? I'd better try again on the other one, yeah.

8. twangplank

twangplank Tele-Afflicted

May 29, 2010
    Valliant Okla
    Most of the guys on here have guitars with non-original finish. I have a 68 in Dakota red that's been lightly reliced. I also have a 69 that's been finished in silver sparkle. Obviously not original

If you like I can post them but I don't think that's what you're after.

9. Bartholomew3

Bartholomew3 Friend of Leo's

Dec 8, 2010
    Montreal
    I have a 68 that I bought new that year and on a gig in Northern Ontario (40 below zero so wasn't going for a walk that week) sanded off the finish due mainly to boredom. eBay wasn't invented yet.

Finished it by hand in satin varathane that yellowed over the years, don't have to go to a luthier for finish touch-ups. That was my idea for a gigging road guitar.

Since I cut the original pickguard for a PAF it's got a new one plus a floated neck p/u. We didn't know we were doing our gigs with vintage gear.

Not what you want to see as mentioned above but I only care how they play. My choice would be to have the finisher bring out the grain then clear thin finish it.

Ten people here will probably jump on me but have to say getting that really thick finish off made it sound better...maybe that's why they make thin-skin finishes now.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 23, 2013

10. Major Gruber

Feb 24, 2012
    Colombes France
    Actually, if you don't mind posting them, I'd be curious to see how it looks, specially the dakota red. MG

11. Major Gruber

Feb 24, 2012
    Colombes France
    But at least it allow everybody to see this unbelievable wood!! Guitar that had a long life have sometimes long stories too. I bless the people that modified their guitars, it allow us to catch very old woods far from collector's range of price, and I think there's nothing like playing an old wood. The one I just bought from 67 has a very old refinish and I'm still thinking of having a period correct new relic finish, but I'm not 100% sure I'll do it, actually, it doesn't look that bad… and the guitar is just gorgeous, needind just a few fixing.

12. Telemarkman

Telemarkman Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Dec 6, 2005
    Norway
    I'm sorry Major, but this is the only existing photo (polaroid) of my Dakota Red 1965 Tele - my first GOOD guitar. I've posted it several times before, but since you asked for it ... ;)

My friend/neighbour is playing it, while I play his acoustic/electric. His mom took the picture in late 1968.

[​IMG]

But as I'm sure you will have noticed, Radspin's body isn't a '69, but undoubtedly a post '74 body.

13. Major Gruber

Feb 24, 2012
    Colombes France
    Hello TLMKman, thanks to have post this one again, even with this vintage "mist" on the image, the colour looks fresh like a fruiot, actually, it was pretty fresh with only three years old ! Yummy yummy!

Considering Radspin's body, I looked at it again and I'm afraid I disagree with you. For me this is a typical notch hight. The end of the body arrive lower than the shoulder. The angles of pictures and lenses make sometimes the difference difficult to evaluate, but everything happen between 16th and 17th fret. 17th : normal notch ; 16th : hight of junction of no notch and on this picture it really seems to be on the 17th fret floor…

14. Telemarkman

Dec 6, 2005
    Norway
    You are absolutely right!:cool:

I didn't look at the rest of the pics, and the angle of the upper shoulder looked too straight on the picture, but looking at the other pictures convinced me that I was a bit fast in my judgement ... I'm sure it will happen again ... :D

15. happyoldhippy

happyoldhippy TDPRI Member

Oct 8, 2013
    sydney
    here's my 1967 tele custom... had it since 1975... not sure of its current market value... had jumbo frets fitted in 1980 and a six piece bridge. some regret about that now, and I don't think I would get any more mods, unless it was just to put a matching cover on the neck pickup... opinions?

Attached Files:

16. happyoldhippy

happyoldhippy TDPRI Member

Oct 8, 2013
    sydney
    another view...

Attached Files:

17. Telemarkman

Dec 6, 2005
    Norway
    A warm welcome to the forum!:)

Great first post!;) Except for the bridge, that's the best looking Tele I've seen in years - awesome!:eek:

18. gregorypause

gregorypause Tele-Meister

Jul 10, 2009
    Hungary
    Haven't seen many natural customs before. Nice one!

19. Telemarkman

Dec 6, 2005
    Norway
    Natural? It surely is an Olympic White - one of the rarest Custom Telecaster colors.

20. bad kat punk LP

bad kat punk LP TDPRI Member

Nov 17, 2009
    Albany,N.Y.
    LOVE the black bound bound body...i haven't seen that often...very nice!!!!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.