Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Shout out to Behringer

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Staypuft1652, Sep 22, 2017.

1. 24 track

24 track Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Nov 6, 2014
    kamloops bc
    I have a friend that uses the X32 board and complete system designed by Midas using klark technik , these kick a$$ and are stable as well , he uses Dante to control them , I dont credit Behringer for the quantum leap in quality but Midas and Klark, well worth looking into!

2. cyclopean

cyclopean Friend of Leo's

Aug 14, 2009
    innsmouth, MA

i have the their superfuzz and hm-2 clone on my board right now, and i really like their reverb machine. i used to bring it to surf practices when i didn't have a car and didn't want to bring my reverb unit on the train.

3. DougM

DougM Tele-Afflicted

Jul 5, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    Despite al the corksniffing snobs objections, my TO800 sounds better than the two other 808 clones I have (Voodoo Labs Sparkle Drive and EH East River Drive). I also have the Vintage Tube Monster, which sounded lousy until I replaced the 12AX7 with an EH one. I still like op-amp based overdrives more than Tube based. Had a Real Tube 901 back in the day, and from what I can recall I didn't like it as much as a TS or Boss SD1.

Staypuft1652 likes this.

4. Staypuft1652

Staypuft1652 Tele-Meister

Mar 7, 2017
    ND, USA
    I was browsing the web the other day and stumbled upon a dissection of a digitech bad monkey. Other than the metal enclosure, its build looks to be near identical, pcb mounted long plastic shaft pots, pcb mounted jacks etc. Also, the difficult to remove battery door with a long appendage to press a pcb mounted micro switch, just like behringer. Alot of those digitechs seem to get some respect, so maybe that basic construction isn't quite so bad.

DougM likes this.

5. PhredE

PhredE Tele-Meister

Sep 25, 2017
    Suburban PDX, OR
    Sheepishly admits.. I also have the VT999 (Vintage Tube Monster). The stock tube was horrible. I have found it just springs to life very nicely with a 12au7 -- especially an old vintage era tube. The newer TungSol 12ax7 sounds pretty good as well. For a starved plate unit, it sounds ok. Have to love that heavy duty sheet metal case though.
    I wanted to do the BitMo mod, but just haven't got around to it.

DougM and Staypuft1652 like this.

6. Rythameen

Rythameen Tele-Meister

Jun 24, 2017
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    I've got 3 of their Smorgasboard pedals from TC. A chorus, a phaser and a compressor, so far so good, they are solidly built and sound great. I run them into a Bugera T50, which is a clone of a Vox Nighttrain 50. I am very happy with this buy. I bought because it had everything I was looking for, EL34s, 2 channels, each with their own 3 band eq, master volume, decent reverb and an effects loop. This ticked all the checkmarks and all for $300. The thing is built built like a tank, is way heavier then I thought it would be, due mainly to the huge transformers.

Staypuft1652 likes this.

7. DougM

DougM Tele-Afflicted

Jul 5, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    I tried a GT 12AT7 and wasn't too impressed. Also tried the frame grid style JJ 12AX7 but not the long plate JJ. Of the ones I've tried, I liked the EH and Sovtek LPS best. Haven't tried the new Tung Sol or Mullard yet.

8. wildschwein

wildschwein Tele-Afflicted

I had the VT911 and did the Bitmo mod -- big difference. Way less gain. Quite an improvement as compared to stock which is more like a garage rock fuzz pedal.

9. PhredE

PhredE Tele-Meister

Sep 25, 2017
    Suburban PDX, OR
    For DougM, wildschwein, et al..

Just a couple thoughts --

Yeah, I agree about the overall gain. The circuit design just produces WAY too much 'buzz'. In fact, I don't think I've ever had the gain setting about 2 at any point for any reason. All the nicer tones to be had exist between about 0-2 on the gain knob. If the EQs were as good as those found on some of the better amp emulation 'pedals', it would be much nicer, much more usable.

About tubes.. I've tried a bunch: the stock Bugera (ugh!), JJ 12ax7, TungSol 12ax7, I forget the brand but a 12at7, JJau7 and an old RCA5963 (au7 variant), and maybe a few others..

In general, if you put in an 12au7, you get a BIG headroom/volume boost -- beware! It produces more of an overdriven 'crunch', than the default fuzzy distortion. I haven't measured the signal coming off the cable (post VT999 -- hey, maybe I can do an A / B type comparison??), but I can tell it gets a LOT hotter. The interplay between the Gain and Master pots changes a bit too -- so play around with both controls a bit if you do such a switch.

As far as 12ax7's go, the JJ was ok, but was a bit too 'warm' (lacked definition) to my ears. The TungSol is brighter and more defined, but warm enough; and it's useful on the lower gain settings. I don't have an older NoS 12ax7 laying around, say an RCA, GE, Raytheon, etc. been meaning to get one. I would bet that also would be somewhat of an improvement.

When I put the old 5963 in there, the normally timid Fender amp becomes a force of nature! It gets LOUD! and with pretty good tone too. I'd describe it as somewhere between a Fender 'fizz' and a crunch. I blew up an old Fender SS amp (going directly through input) doing that. It's fun to experiment with cheap (inexpensive) gear, if you blow it up you don't feel all that bad.

Ironically, having said all the above, I actually play pretty clean these days. So.. 'go figure'.:)

Staypuft1652 likes this.

10. Simoninhyogo

Simoninhyogo TDPRI Member

Oct 21, 2017
    Japan
    I was given a Behringer tube overdrive pedal but I never use it

11. haggardfan1

haggardfan1 Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2014
    down every road
    I bought a pair of B212A powered speakers from a friend who bought them new. They are loud, sound great and no problems so far; if I expand my PA I'll probably stick with something similar and a small powered sub. I also have two XM8500 mics that I use interchangeably with my Shure 58s for vocals and other things.

Pedalwise, I use a TO800 that I like very much, and I bought an AD121 acoustic DI thing a while back which I'm embarrassed to admit is still in the box, haven't tried it out yet. I need to rummage through my power supplies and find one suitable. I use a Baggs Para DI at church because it works off phantom power, but I still might try the AD121 in that setting.

If something goes wrong with something and I have trouble getting it fixed, my opinion might change--but for now I'm having good results from their gear and consider it a pretty decent value.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.