Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Shout out to Behringer

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Staypuft1652, Sep 22, 2017.

1. Staypuft1652

Staypuft1652 Tele-Meister

Mar 7, 2017
    ND, USA
    I see danelectro getting love, why not behringer. I have two of their pedals, and a preamp. Yes theyre plastic, with board mounted plastic jacks, and questionable pots. Yes the ts 808 clone of theirs sometimes requires me to insert and remove the output jack a few times to ensure a good connection. But otherwise no problems. And I am smitten with my vd400. Don't know about the whole BBD mojo thing, but I just love to play the thing.

2. King Creole

King Creole Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Jan 24, 2011
    Colorado
    I've got the Behringer vibrato pedal, and it sounds good. My first compressor pedal was a Behringer DC9, and I remember it sounding good, in a lo-fi kind of way.

Staypuft1652 likes this.

3. rburd2

rburd2 Tele-Afflicted

Sep 13, 2016
    Georgia, US
    I've got a Behringer 7 band EQ I use in the effects loop as a solo boost. It was noisy running it in front of the amp but no problems in the loop.

Staypuft1652 likes this.

4. Pepi

Pepi Tele-Afflicted

Aug 8, 2004
    Indiana
    More Reverse Engineering with plastic cases I guess?

5. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Friend of Leo's

Apr 3, 2015
    Winchester, VA
    I had a Behringer digital reverb pedal and it sounded awesome. Plastic.... who cares. You're not going to break it unless you're an elephant.

RoyBGood and Staypuft1652 like this.

6. bottlenecker

bottlenecker Tele-Holic

Dec 6, 2015
    Wisconsin

I could give you more reasons, but, seriously, aren't the ones in your post enough?

7. xafinity

xafinity Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Dec 24, 2015
    west of I-10
    AND?

Staypuft1652 likes this.

8. Staypuft1652

Mar 7, 2017
    ND, USA
    The only thing in their traditional design that gives me pause, is the board mounted micro switch. Short of that, their design is no more flawed than many others. As for cloning, they are just slightly more blunt about it. In some instances, such as the "Vintage analog delay", there is pretty much nothing else in its price range that is comparable, unless digitally emulated analog is reasonable.

Sometimes I wonder if such importance of an objects provenance wasn't debated so adamantly, perhaps we could find use and happiness taking things at face value.

I'm merely stating: "Hey, this cheap $25 plastic delay pedal ain't half bad IMO, makes me happier than the hundreds I've spent on delays in the past. Are there better? No question. Better for $25? Used perhaps. Will I be able to use said $25 piece of equipment in a mad max or book of eli post apocalyptic world as a defense against zombies? Probably not"

Last edited: Sep 22, 2017

9. Deeve

Deeve Tele-Afflicted

Dec 7, 2009
    Ballard
    Dunno - I picked up a "Vintager10-08" [tiny combo] or something like that, and immediately set about to voiding the warranty by adding a 2x wall outlet & plate on one side [because, pedals, outlets] and it's cheap fun and totally risk-free. Heck, I'm in something like 20$ so who cares?

Next I got B-brand bass pre-amp pedal [also on CL - thanks "moving - must sell" . . . ] and it makes it easy to plug in bass @ church. Less that 10$ at risk [w/ power supply!]

You've probably concluded I won't be bidding on that Dumble/Klon combo pack - and you're right. ;)

Peace - Deeve

Staypuft1652 likes this.

10. Staypuft1652

Mar 7, 2017
    ND, USA

Right on.

11. Fearnot

Fearnot Friend of Leo's

Jan 17, 2010
    Decatur, GA
    I have a couple Behringer pedals on my board that I bought cheap enough to take a chance on. They stay there because they seem pretty good and behave just fine. Their Super Fuzz is definitely the best fuzz $25 can buy, and it bumped a much more expensive Muff clone off my board.

Behringer bought TC Electronics, and some have speculated that the new line of inexpensive TC Electronics pedals are just rehoused Behringer circuits. Yes? No?

marabino and Staypuft1652 like this.

12. Redvers

Redvers Tele-Meister

Oct 4, 2016
    Wales
    Yes, but tweaked. I can't fault the sound of some behringer pedals but the superbright led and power section never sounded quite right to me. The vibrato was good and the bf-3 clone.

13. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Tele-Holic

Jan 15, 2013
    Heart O' Dixie
    I've had a few items. Great entry level for hobby use. I consider them a step up from Nady and the others in that class. The thing that maybe keeps them from competing for studio and live quality, is I've found they tend to save costs on things like pre-amps and A/D converters, resulting in noisy signals less suitable for studio, and live. My favorite Behringer product is the ADI21 that works well, doesn't eat batteries, has versatile tone controls and probably the cheapest functional 1Mohm+ DI out there. Heavy metal housing, sized right, looks right too. It stays in my acoustic bag as a backup. I see they still make it, still cheap - might be the only product they've not changed in 20 years!

Last edited: Sep 24, 2017
    Staypuft1652 likes this.

14. Redvers

Redvers Tele-Meister

Oct 4, 2016
    Wales
    Oh yeah i totally forgot I use their DI with the cab sim built in. Way easier than micing up.

Staypuft1652 likes this.

15. RoyBGood

RoyBGood Poster Extraordinaire

I've got their Rotary Machine and it sounds great - George's Abbey Road sounds in a small, affordable box.

16. nosuch

nosuch Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2008
    Cologne
    THAT would drive me nuts if it happened setting up for a gig!

Staypuft1652 likes this.

17. hemingway

hemingway Friend of Leo's

Mar 14, 2012
    London, UK
    I have the blues driver, which is pretty good, and the multi-fx, which is barely even a toy.

Bottom line I wouldn't buy Behringer again.

Staypuft1652 likes this.

18. VintageSG

VintageSG Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Mar 31, 2016
    Huddersfield, UK
    I had a Behringer Vintager GM110 for a while. One of the early ones complete with Jensen 10/35 speaker. It was a very fine amp indeed. The analogue modelling and the DI worked very well together. It sounded really good, providing the onboard gain was reined in.
    Not waterproof. More BANG! than phut. My fault entirely. If I could find another early one for cheap, I'd not hesitate to buy it. Behringer clone of a Tech 21 amp. Later ones had smaller transformers, a different power IC and a cheaper speaker. They are not as fine sounding.

I have a Behringer Q802USB mixer, and very useful it has proven. I question the longevity of the PSU though. It gets hot to the touch. Always something. It serves as a mixer and interface, and for home donking, it does the job.

I have a VT999, which, following a valve swap is my go to overdrive/boost. I have a CS9 compressor, which is always on. I have a VD400 as a second delay. It's a fine delay. I have a Vintage phaser. Quite good. I have their UT300 tremolo. I'm ambiguous about the trem. It does the job, and does it well enough. It doesn't sparkle, but it is good enough for a run through of 'Rumble', which is why I bought it. A one song device.

I have a couple of their Ultra DI boxen ( why does everything have to be ultra? ). One with cab emulation, one without. They are very useful indeed. You wouldn't want to record a magnum opus one on, but for rehearsals, even live use where 'NO AMPS ALLOWED!' is the norm, they do a sterling job. I quite like my Hellbabe ( cringe! ) wah.

Now the meh.

I have a VT911. Good for Stooges moments, extreme fuzz and that's it. I wasted cash on the octaver. Worst octaver on the market. Poor tracking delivered with dalek/stylophone copulating sounds. I wasted cash on the harmonist. It makes for a better octaver than the Ultra octave, but that's like regarding syphilis as the crème of venereal disease. It does do a pretty decent drop-whammy, but the tracking of the harmoniser side of things is so poor as to be unusable.
    The TU300 tuner is best used for silencing the signal while tuning with a clip-on. It won't track E on my EB-0 at all and struggles elsewhere too.

Bouyed by how good the GM110 was, I tried a BC108 ( AKA Bugera BC15 ). It went back the same day. Vile box of sonic excrescence.
    I tried a Bugera V5. Lots of people fair rave about them, so I took advantage of Amazon and their return policy again. Huge improvements by replacing the stock valves brought it up to meh levels. It went back ( with the stock valves back in ). I couldn't hear what folk were raving about. The headphone out was nasty, the attenuator sucked what life and soul it had. The reverb was nice though, I'll grant it that. Cute looking too. I question the whole Infinium thing in general, and wonder what on earth it's doing fitted to a single ended amp that should be a screamer. Was it just the one I tried that had a weird effect when wound right up?, odd distortion and a volume reduction that went away if the amp was 'rested' for a few minutes.

Would I buy Behringer again?. Well, maybe. They seem to be on the up. The mixers and PA stuff seems very good. The DI boxes work just fine. The new pedals seem to be an improvement.

Danelectro FAB. Fine, fun, cheap, near disposable pedals. I like mine. They sound good, look cute and do the job I bought them for. Cheap pedals to sling in the bag to take out for squits and giggles. The older metal cased pedals are quirky gems too.

Would I buy Danelectro again?, yes.

Staypuft1652 likes this.

19. Staypuft1652

Mar 7, 2017
    ND, USA
    Yeah the qc on behringer is iffy, I will admit that. Seems inline for the price segment they are in though.

I've only had a couple Dano pedals. Years ago I had the lavender colored delay (dan echo?). I remember it being just fine, especially good for slapback. I more recently had the big metal fab tone. I think the latter needs no introduction or anything further said. Speaking of which I owned an original DOD grunge as well.

I think the original point I was trying to make, is that there are gems to be found amongst the cheapest and most mundane of equipment. I imagine theres a few truly decent behringer, danelectro, and many rebadged chinese brands available on amazon and the like. RE the super fuzz, its nice to hear it is liked. I was entertaining the idea of picking one of those up, but I got nervous when I found it may share some similarities with the original univox. I had one of those, wasnt my sound. But with bass/treble control probably good.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2017

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.