Should parents make kids watch a screen?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Ribsspare, Mar 8, 2019.

1. Ribsspare

Ribsspare Tele-Meister

i see a lot of parents make their toddlers and pre kindergarten kids watch a cell phone or tablet to keep them quiet.

I have mixed feelings about this. Perhaps it reinforces screen addiction.

Part of me feels it’s a form of lazy or bad parenting and maybe it suppresses creative thinking since all the entertainment is already there for the child so the child does not have to think too much and basically be a couch potato.

Anybody out there doctors or child psychologists? What do you think?

MuddyDitch and String Tree like this.
  2. LOSTVENTURE

LOSTVENTURE Tele-Afflicted

Well, my kids are much older, so that never happened. And the grand-kids, both 14 years old, were never interested. But the phones were much smaller then, so who knows. 10 years ago the flip phones were still the thing. Not much to look at.
    But I have to tell you, everything I know about my "smart" phone, I've learned from my grand-daughter.

Lake Placid Blue and beagle like this.
  3. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Friend of Leo's

Kids should be kept away from TV, computer, phone and tablet screens until they are 14yo, Social media like facebook, twitter etc not allowed until over 35yo if at all.:)
    Come to think of it just get rid of the TV altogether.

4. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

do you have kids? you don't MAKE kids look at a screen.... they enjoy it and ask for it almost universally. You might 'allow it' but, your premise is missing the mark by a bunch.

I think engaged parents have the highest likelihood of having kids who are happy, fulfilled, self generative and grow up to be happy adults. How you do that will vary widely.

My kids grew up with access to computational devices at their whim. However, they had engaged parents and lots of activities, conversation, reading, thinking, doing etc. All are now grown and productive and successful and happy (which can shift and we will know about it because this generation overshares like crazy.)

5. Richie-string

Richie-string Tele-Meister

UK in the North - Yorkshire, but now in the South.
    I'm not so sure it's so much of a bad thing. Afterall these kids are going to grow up in a world where computer skills are vital in the field of work so the sooner they start learning the necessary skills the more proficient they'll be as an adult. I take the OPs point but i think on balance they more comfortable kids are with technology the better equipped they'll be for life as an adult.

Just my opinion and i do understand that other's may have a contrary view that is equally valid. I'm not sure there is a right or wrong answer to this question.

6. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Friend of Leo's

Without a screen to stare at things like the Kardashians would not exist, chew on that for a while.:) Do kids really need to be exposed to that?

7. Fireball519

Fireball519 Tele-Meister

I'm a younger guy(28)but my mother and father had me outside from the time I could walk. To this day, I'd rather be outside without any technology than inside with all the technology in the world. The only reason I'm not outside right now is that its 11:28 cold and raining here right now

Wallo Tweed likes this.
  8. TeleTucson

TeleTucson Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

eyesopen - Copy.jpg

"S
    hould parents make kids watch a screen?"

Only with the proper apparatus. :)

Last edited: Mar 8, 2019
  9. fraser

fraser Tele-Holic

I have a 5 yr old boy and a 3 yr old girl.
    My wife is a good bit younger than me,
    And her phone is constantly in use.

The boy gets whatever old phones or tablets we come across and is pretty hooked on them.
    My mom bought both kids tablets for Xmas this year, and now the girl is kind of hooked.

At this point I don’t see the harm in it.
    Both kids tend to watch a lot of YouTube,
    The boy likes stuff that other kids make with a lot of yelling and acting silly.
    The girl loves horses, so spends her time watching horses, and sometimes unicorns.
    We use Netflix and YouTube as an alternative to cable for the kids,
    And since she started watching horses on YouTube she’s grown out of paw patrol,
    And now selects more advanced educational style shows.
    So there’s a positive growth aspect there.

By the time they are old enough to want to watch questionable things, they’ll be too old to prevent it.

While I find it strange, unsettling and possibly wrong,
    Nobody else in their lives does,
    And It doesn’t even seem fair to stop them from doing it,
    All their friends and friends parents stare at phones all day.

I go to jujitsu with the boy once a week.
    There’s thirty adults sitting for an hour staring at phones.
    One other guy, a grandad, does like me and brings a book lol.

I’m 50 now, so I accept the fact that my opinions are outdated, and I know nothing.
    Of course I’m typing this on my iPad, so not that outdated.

Nick Fanis and Chunkocaster like this.
  10. voskarp

voskarp Tele-Meister

Same thing as the good ’ol sugarcube soaked in vodka. That worked out fine so...

Lake Placid Blue likes this.
  11. Steve 78

Steve 78 Tele-Afflicted

I think ideally kids should have little to no screen time, but I would not judge another parent for how they raise their kids (unless it was outright abusive). It's pretty noticeable that they are more irritable after watching TV/tablet/etc. The longer they watch, the worse they are. But being an engaged parent is hard. Really really hard. If you've been up for half the night cos one kid is sick and can't sleep, worked all day and are trying to cook dinner without kids screaming at you to play with them, then heck yeah the TV is going on. If that's what it takes to get through the day, well, there are worse alternatives...

I'm a parent of 2 kids, gave up my band of 10 years when my son was born to raise him, have pretty much lost all social contact with my friends for the last 6 years and every night I feel guilty about how much screen time the kids have had and all the time I didn't spend with them during the day. It's really hard.

From what I've read, child psychologists say that kids either below 3 or up to 3 (I can't remember) should not have any screen time. (But of course in 99% of cases, they do).

Chunkocaster and voskarp like this.
  12. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

Lack of exercise and obesity are probably the greater long term risks.

Kids emulate their parents.. if they can’t get off a device, one can’t really criticise their kids who copy. I’ve liked video games since I was a teen with my first BBC Micro computer. My kids like video games.

But I also play in a band and had a house full of all kinds of instruments and both my kids are now musicians, my daughter in orchestras and folk groups and my son, solo piano. He gets all his music and chords for busking new tunes from an iPod touch or iPad - I’ve never seen him use manuscript.

There is a huge amount of social interaction among my kids with their devices - both have had iPod touches since they appeared rather than phones and connecting rather than consuming seems a pattern - they have a whole network of friends they are constantly in touch with arranging nights out, seeing bands or meeting up. A lot of memes and funny cr*p is shared but they also do help and watch out for each other emotionally. They really are more connected than if they were isolated in their bedroom with a book.

My daughter off at Uni is virtually present in our house most days talking to us and the dog. Her mum loves it.

My father had a stroke a while back and can’t walk and he lives in his hobby forums and watching engineering videos on YouTube. It’s hugely life enriching for him stuck for days in end in his room.

My in laws on the other hand are offline, never owned tech or used the internet and are throrougly miserable, bigoted and ignorant with completely outdated views. They hardly ever see their family and are scared to see or hear any alternative views on anything. They may be the same if they had a device of course but I think their grand children would set them straight on a lot of things, virtually, if they did

While there is a lot of pressure to be seen to hate it, I am struggling to see it as all bad unless it is extreme or not balanced with other things like going out doing sport or picking up an instrument. It’s is just today’s technology to be harnessed correctly.

I would not ‘make them’ use screen as a boredom fix by choice but there are times when you can’t be super parent and engage the kids with making models, cooking or joining you on a dog walk.

Steve 78 likes this.
  13. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

I agree Richie but developing kids need exercise and all things in moderation.
    We, baby boomers played sports till dark, dinner time, because these devices didn't exist then.
    So we went to school, played sports, had odd jobs, rode bikes, visited libraries and learnt music.
    Later we travelled, surfed, played more sports, developed relationships etc.

IMHO opinion computer skills are necessary but all of the above are also,for children to grow and learn skills other than how to push buttons.
    To much time on electronic devices is excessive.I have seen s girl get on Facebook in the morning and not leave it till 11;00 p.m. That's not healthy.

TokyoPortrait, tery and Richie-string like this.
  14. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity

They need to play outside, run, laugh and scrape their knees.
    they will figure that other stuff out soon enough.

15. Richie-string

Richie-string Tele-Meister

UK in the North - Yorkshire, but now in the South.
    I can't argue with your logic there TT. Definitely good points.

16. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Doctor of Teleocity

I wasn’t born in a cave, understanding the instinct towards progression...our forefathers got by well enough, living productive & active lives, without any of these doodads. A healthy formula + screening, are required while weening junior

Last edited: Mar 9, 2019
    beagle and Chunkocaster like this.
  17. WetBandit

WetBandit Friend of Leo's

Don't have kids yet so I bring no real insight to the table...

But from the 100s of kids I observe on a daily basis through work, I can certainly say the fixation on mobile tech is certainly universal and usually coincides with what the parents are doing.

I personally do not own a computer... other than the phone I'm using right now.

I don't have a Facebook, Twitter, Instagram etc... and never have and never will.

I'm a firm believer that if I don't see you or speak to you on the phone or in person at least on a semi regular basis, there is probably good reason.

I do not need to know what everyone is doing... in fact I couldn't care less.

The only things I even use on my phone is TDPRI, Amazon and YouTube... and of course Google for researching and reading.

Do I think its harmful to kids?

I think it makes them anti social and social cripples, and causes everyone of all ages to become desensitized to the workings and atrocities of the world.

Everyone, on every part of the planet will get or gets their fair share of troubles, tragedies, and hardship...

So why wallow and digest everyone else's while you wait your turn?

But this is just an opinion from a non (maybe soon to be) parent...

Chunkocaster and tery like this.
  18. tery

tery Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Give them a bag of rocks and a slingshot - they will have fun .

19. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I have a big gap between my kids, older ones being 20 and 17, and the youngest 5. Big difference in tech culture between the Millennial and Alpha gens. Without boring y’all with the life story, we determined with the youngest that screen time should always be limited to a few hours tops a day and monitored closely. Outdoor dirt playing, grass feeling, book reading fun will always be pushed, as without the push, they might stay all day in front of a screen (almost). At the age when they want more privacy, that’s when it’s time to monitor anyways, with respect to that privacy of course.

imwjl and tery like this.
  20. trapdoor2

trapdoor2 Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

I stared at screens throughout my youth and I appear to have survived it. Of course, every window had screens so if you were indoors you could hardly avoid it. Looking at them from the outside would get you the strop...as the neighbor girls would complain (well, most of them).

It seems to me that staring at a book whilst attending a kid's class is equivalent to a parent staring at a cell-phone. Same/same. I had to sit thru interminable afternoon dance classes whilst helping to raise our niece. Hundreds of moms with their noses in magazines or having a chat...while their kid is forlornly looking in the audience. I learned the routine and set my watch-alarm (I didn't have a cell phone then) to wake me in time...although she still laughs about me snoring thru her routines.

imwjl likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.