Should I sell my Mesa Boogie F-50 and buy a Thomas Blog Amp 1 and cabinet? Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Gogogoch, Apr 24, 2019.

1. Gogogoch

Gogogoch TDPRI Member

Oops...I meant Thomas Blug...cursed predictive text!

Spoke to an amp technician yesterday and he raved about the Thomas Blug Amp 1?

Anyone using one?

The F-50 is a great amp, but it doesn't really fit my needs.

I need cleans (for 60s pop, jazz and early rock n roll) and I like the idea of being able to use a smaller cabinet for cafe gigs and a larger cab for bigger venues as well as the versatility of one amp set up that covers many bases.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Cheers.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
    PingGuo likes this.
  2. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

The F50 is purported to have the best clean of any Boogie amp and a great rock tone.
    That said, it seems that your search will continue. Enjoy.

Gogogoch likes this.
  3. PingGuo

PingGuo Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

A close friend of mine has the blug amp 1 and matching cab. I've spent a lot of time around it and playing through it.

The thing sounds really good. And the matching cab is a must. The two are incredibly well paired.

They also weigh nearly nothing... And it's wonderful for getting "your tone" at many reasonable volume levels.

My guess is that you'll just end up using the 1x12 for the larger gigs too.

If you're able to, keep the mesa and get the blug rig.

That said, I have a MK V, Princeton Reverb, Helix, and Jazz Chorus. Out of those the only one that doesn't get used is the Mesa. The mesa has all of the sounds in the world... just not the one I ever seem to be looking for.

Gogogoch likes this.
  4. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire

You might check out Quilter amps too for light and loud, and cheaper than the Amp1

Old Deaf Roadie and Gogogoch like this.
  5. macduff

macduff TDPRI Member

I know what you mean. I have an f50 that I use most of the time when jamming at home. It can out Fender a Fender in the clean setting. I just dont have the patience to sit in front of it and EQ the tone for every place I play it. It was actually used to play an acoustic guitar (with a built-in pickup) by my friends wife at church. I rescued it and she bought a smaller, Crate amp. I was going to buy a Genz-Benz cab and take whatever head I needed for the occasion, but never got around to it. Let us know how it goes.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
    Gogogoch likes this.
  6. jrblue

jrblue Tele-Afflicted

The F50 has great cleans that get even better with some basic tube swaps. It's a really basic amp and it's hard to believe that it's difficult to adjust for different venues. Those are the very reasons I bought mine. Great sonic platform, easy to use. Sounds like you just want to get a different amp for its own sake, which is fine. Of course, if you want a light unit, forget Mesa.

Gogogoch likes this.
  7. Gogogoch

Gogogoch TDPRI Member

Thanks for your reply. Great to hear from a fellow F-50 owner. I'd love to know what tubes you're using or would recommend....and how quiet your amp is in terms of white noise/hiss - especially on the clean channel.

The clean channel is what sold the amp to me. It is lovely, but the background white hiss (which appears to be a common feature of this amp) is a drag. I'd phoned the amp technician to enquire about swapping V1 from an 12ax7 to a 12ay7, as had been suggested in another thread, the aim being to reduce the hiss and allow me to turn the amp up and find that mythical 'sweet spot'. He said it's possibly the wrong amp for what I want (60s pop, jazz, 50s rock n roll) and I'd just end compensating for the loss in output by turning up the gain - that worried me, as it possibly means hearing more hiss.

I know that I probably need a smaller amp for home/cafe gig use. The F-50 has been serviced regularly, but general consensus is that it's a high gain amp and therefore it hisses. At the moment, at home I'm running the Mesa volume on about 0.5 and using a Boss LS2 as a clean boost for practice room volume to avoid the hiss. It's less noticeable on stage, but still present and especially compared to the other guitarist's amp (Fender Twin). If I could get rid of that noise, I'd be a happy man, as the amp can sound great and I want to love it.

8. Wally

The F50 is not a high gain amp in the clean mode. It is basically a BF Fender Reverb amp....at least that is what the block diagram shows. A schematic is not available, it seems. This is the basis for the MK Boogies...an AB763 preamp with Gain added IF one wants to run higher gain. Even in the lead mode, one does not have to push gain to the full extent. The whit noise to which you take excepti9n may be due to the lack of. Negative feedback
    It seems that you are searching for a simpler amp with a considerable negative feedback?.....as in your friend’s TR.
    Whatever you do, I would suggest buying a simple amp.....as your friend did. Most of the players I see do not need the amps they have bought. They buy complex amps and then use only the basic circuitry with pedals. Why buy complexity when it is not going to be used?
    You say you are running the volume at .5??? Is this the master volume? for a clean sound, what are your settings across the board...from the gain through the tones through the MV?

Gogogoch and bftfender like this.
  9. Gogogoch

Gogogoch TDPRI Member

Apologies for taking so long to reply. Been away for a few weeks and with no phone/Internet access. Attached is a picture of my amp settings - the top line of dials - ignore the lower line, that's the drive channel, which I'm not using as I play mostly clean. Totally understand if I've left it too long, but grateful for your advice and input. Cheers.

Attached Files:

10. Gogogoch

Gogogoch TDPRI Member

11. Wally

Gog, those settings should get you a clean sonic with a reduced output. I would probably have the master up in the second half of the dial...
    What happens if you take the first preamp gain even farther down while pushing the tone controls up...and turn the channel master volume up?

12. DNestler

DNestler Tele-Meister

I have been researching the BluGuitar Amp-1 for a few weeks. It looks to be a really versatile system.
    Apropos of nothing: Jennifer Batten uses one with the Fat Cab I think.

I tend to play electric at low volumes and run a signal (mic'd or line out) to the PA. So the Amp-1 would be ideal.

Daniel

13. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

If you want small, light, compact, and great sounding, the Blug is a solid choice.

I’ve tried about everything I could find in that arena. I ended up going DV Mark. Everybody said I’d get tired of it and go back to tubes but it’s been 19 months now of using ONLY that amp for every single job. Several nights a week.

The blug is exceptional. As is some of the quilter stuff. If you wanna go light, go light. Just do it. Tubes are absolutely obsolete in my world. I might try them again if they can figure out how to make an amp like mine. 120 watt 1x12 combo that has correctly functioning master volume circuits that it highly effective in any situation, and weighs in at 23 lbs. And no, I’m not sacrificing tone to get there. It’s simply an amazing amp. I also loved the Blug, but couldn’t justify the price difference after hearing what I ended up buying.

Gogogoch and Treynor like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.