Should I No-Caster?

Discussion in 'Fender Custom Shop Tele Forum' started by 55er, Apr 13, 2019.

1. 55er

55er TDPRI Member

Gday guys, I’ve been plinking away on my newly acquired American Original 50’s Tele for the last week or so, I really love it, it’s met all my expectations.
    I was passing my local dealer today and thought I’d drop in and try out the new 2019 Gibson SG special with P-90’s... played that, thought “meh”..... wandered over to the Fender Custom shop section (uh-oh) and asked to play the ‘51 Journeyman No-Caster.
    Light.... resonant... big neck with a nice played in feel.... sounds awesome.
    I felt real comfortable with it. But..... it has a lot of similarities to the AO Tele. Probably why I felt so familiar with it.
    They also have a ‘59 Rosewood board Journeyman, which I also really liked, but the neck was slimmer (obviously).
    Torn between going a bit different to what I’ve got with the ‘59 or sticking with what I know with the ‘51? I’ve always wanted a no-caster but that was before I got the AO 50’s...... terrible situation to be in I know!
    Opinions?

Cheers, Scott

mr newhaven, RodeoTex and DaphneBlue like this.
  2. Matthias

Matthias Tele-Afflicted

If you don’t want two similar guitars, absolutely prefer the Nocaster and have the money, sell or part-ex the AO for it. Or have both for a bit with the eye to one as a keeper.

I tend to buy used so I either don’t lose much on resale and see any depreciation almost as “renting” something for a bit to try it out. My gear collection is quite stable now but it allowed me to get to a small collection I’m fairly happy with.

3. Telepi

Telepi Friend of Leo's

I had the 50s AO too. A fine tele too. In the back of mind, I still wanted a Nocaster. Then a 2017 NAMM 51 Nocaster turned up. I sold the AO and now own a Nocaster.

Yes, there are similarites. However, playing the two side by side sold me on the nuances the Nocaster has. It just feels different and was worth it to me. The neck was the biggest part of the decision. I had a 51 Relic Telecaster and the neck was 1.00 all the way up and down. That was too big for my liking. My NAMM is .95 at the first and 1.00 at the 12th fret. So, it's slightly bigger than the AO, but not as big as some Nocasters.

I think the Journeyman Nocaster necks might be closer to the AO necks in size. It might just get down to preference with your decision. If you can play them side by side, you'll get a better idea on which one you want. If that Nocaster isn't it, there will be another one that turns up in the future. Or, maybe that's the one.

55er likes this.
  4. rangercaster

rangercaster Friend of Leo's

Buy what you want that makes you happy ... Someone may bond with a $200 Squier, while a $4000 CS tele may be another's perfect match ... More about personal preference than the actual gear itself ...

Chunkocaster, Ricky D. and nojazzhere like this.
  5. 55er

55er TDPRI Member

Yep, I fully get the ‘play it and if it speaks to you’ approach. My concern is in the past when I’ve had 2 similar guitars I usually end up selling one. My AO has an awesome tone, even unplugged it has this cool vibey resonance that I really enjoy. I’m going to buy something different. I think the AO has filled the blackguard position in my armoury.
    Going to look at a ‘59 Esquire this week....

Cheers, Scott.

6. Plumber

Plumber Tele-Meister

Pay no attention to specs/manufacturer (unless you intend to sell it later)

What ever plays/sounds better to you and you can afford - buy that

7. BluesGuitarMart

BluesGuitarMart Tele-Meister

I know this goes against everything TDPRI stands for, but why do you feel you need another guitar already? If you really like the AO and you've only had it for a week, why not play it for a while until you find out what it can't do, and then look to plug that gap?

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019
    VintageGearMan and jvin248 like this.
  8. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Poster Extraordinaire

Before you make your move, play a bunch of $4000 guitars. They are all better than what you have. An extra $2000+ ought to get you something.

VintageGearMan likes this.
  9. Pips

Pips Tele-Holic

If you think it’s a better guitar - this could be a number of factors, go for it and think of it as a Yes Caster, job done.

bhenry83 and 55er like this.
  10. 55er

55er TDPRI Member

What, you mean apply common sense to purchasing guitars? ;)
    Yeah I know what your saying, but I do suffer from GAS as much as the next guy. I’m always on the look out for my next guitar.

Cheers, Scott.

11. VillainSean

VillainSean TDPRI Member

I had a similar experience and went with the NoCaster.

55er likes this.
  12. LP26

LP26 Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

I own a 1951 Nocaster.
    The guitar was ordered in February 2018 and received mid-March 2019, a 14 month wait!
    Simply stated, it's the best electric guitar I've ever owned including other Custom Shop Strats and Teles as well as Gibson "Historic" hollow bodies.
    The guitar weighs in at just shy of 7 lbs and is as resonant a solid body as I've ever played.

I'm at a stage of life that has me paring down my collection.
    I'm down to three electrics; the Nocaster, a Custom Shop Limited Edition 60's Thinline Tele (quartersawn rosewood neck and board), and an Eric Johnson Thinline Strat.
    I own to four amps though I have a 62 Princeton - Chris Stapleton on order.
    I'll no doubt let go of an amp or two and perhaps the Strat to cover the tariff on the 62 Princeton.

13. Larry K. Williams

Larry K. Williams Tele-Meister

At one point I owned 7 different Tele's. All American. All were standard catalog stuff of varying types.

I bought a '51 NoCaster Relic with 9.5 raius and 6105 frets. After a few months, it was the only Tele I owned. For me, they really are that good.

I still have that one - 11 years now. I have 2 others plus an ASAT Classic. But the NoCaster will stay with me!

14. orangeblossom

orangeblossom Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I kept my 52pv and sold my nocaster. The neck was too big for me. To each his own.

15. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Random pieces of wood and necks/frets of different specs. Who's to say what is better or preferred?
    Taking note of the pickups is a good idea. Then I suppose just play a bunch of guitars with those pickups that you like the color/finish, specs on and see which one you like best. Spend whatever you want, some will play and sound great for small cost, others could leave you broke depending on the sticker price.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.