Should I get a 61 CS to compliment my ASAT or hold out...

Discussion in 'Fender Custom Shop Tele Forum' started by stevehollx, Jul 21, 2017.

1. stevehollx

stevehollx TDPRI Member

I was looking at vintage sunburst late 60 teles but realized I was priced out of that category to get a maple fretboard sunburst.

I now have my eyes on a custom shop 61 tele with a C shaped rosewood board. It is a sunburst with a heavy relic look, which I love and have been chasing. I prefer maple boards on teles, though, and I am a little apprehensive to spend this much on a guitar with rosewood--but this guitar has that mojo look. Haven't found a heavy relic sunburst with maple neck that is moderate C shaped...never played a 1.00 nocaster neck but typically prefer smaller necks shy of .90.

I do have a g&l asat classic ash/maple with dimarzio areaT pickups already for this to compliment. I love hot rodded tele twang (paisley, jerry donahue, Andy wood, Johnny hiland, etc). Think it makes sense to grab the rosewood board CS 61, or hold out for another with a maple board? Trying to decide if rosewood makes a more versatile toolbox or if I should stick to what I know and stay in the maple neck lane.

Alternative would be to try and score just a neck later on, but I think standalone CS necks would be hard to come by.

Maybe I'm obsessing over the details?

2. Falconbill

Falconbill Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

I wouldn't buy a CS guitar with the idea of changing out the neck.

3. G-52

G-52 Tele-Meister

Nor would I. Re availability of CS necks, I see them listed on Stratosphere regularly; they're about a $1000.

4. rjtwangs

rjtwangs Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Why not have one good tele with a rosewood board to complement your maple boards....just a thought....actually I prefer the feel and sound from a slab rw board....simply my opinion.....

RJ

5. fenderchamp

fenderchamp Tele-Holic

you better get it. It will be awesome...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.