Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Should I Buy?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Olympus, Jan 13, 2018 at 7:26 PM.

1. Olympus

Olympus Tele-Meister

Nov 11, 2009
    Southeast Missouri
    Guy advertising on a local classifieds has what appears to be a 2004 MIM in good shape. Guy says the color is ice blue metallic, but I’m searching that year it seems like it might actually be agave blue. Guy is firm at $350. I don’t really need another Strat, but I like the color and don’t have a rosewood fretboard. I’d buy it if it was a decent deal. Guy lives an hour away and won’t meet me part way though. Thoughts? Can anyone confirm the color? Value?

IMG_3337.JPG
    IMG_3338.JPG IMG_3339.JPG IMG_3340.JPG IMG_3341.JPG IMG_3342.JPG

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018 at 8:53 PM
    TeleAndSG and nojazzhere like this.

2. CK Dexter Haven

CK Dexter Haven Tele-Afflicted

Jun 7, 2017
    GCDB
    I believe you have answered your own question...

As for your other questions, OK deal, I like these for 250 max (it happens) as it's easy to find Vintage Modified Squiers for $200 which I prefer, as the Basswood takes a little zing off budget pu's, and f&f are about the same w/many a Vm being superior.
    Imports are imports, why pay more for a decal?

nojazzhere likes this.

3. jvin248

jvin248 Friend of Leo's

Apr 18, 2014
    Near Detroit, MI

Nice looking guitar. Looks all MIM.
    Price is at the lower end of the typical I see around here; though I too like to get under $250 but that is rare and they never last long if listed between $250 and $350.

Check some history 2004, 2005, or 2006 Fender upgraded some parts on the Strats and Teles: big trem block, alnico pickups instead of two-bar ceramic, maybe some other details.

(if you get it, they do really fine with the Dan Armstrong Blender Mod, that's what I put on them SSS->HSH with the twitch of a blender pot. Might be a reason to get another Strat).

4. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Tele-Afflicted

Feb 3, 2017
    Foat Wuth, Texas
    When you say, "Guy is first at $350"...do you mean "firm at $350" ? (proofreading is your fiend)...friend....see what I mean? Back to guitar....it looks nice, not worth $350 to me, but it's your call. Does the NAME of the color make or break it to you?

5. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

Sep 14, 2005
    Nueces Strip
    Looks like IBM to me, of course photos can be deceptive.

6. Lonn

Lonn Tele-Afflicted

Dec 13, 2007
    Indiana
    Decent deal if you're looking to keep it. There's one just like that on my local CL also for $350. Only reason I've passed on it is I already have 3 Strats and this is one of them.

[​IMG]

7. tfarny

tfarny Tele-Holic

Sep 4, 2008
    Hudson Valley, NY
    I guess you should buy it if you want it - but don't buy it if you don't want it. You don't need it. I wouldn't buy it, I have a great strat and I don't even play that one very much. I'm never sure what people want with this kind of post - permission to buy another guitar? Granted.

8. awasson

awasson Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver
    I don’t even know what that means o_O

If it had a 2-point Trem, I’d be all over it. I don’t need another Strat either but I know pretty much for certain, I’ll have a new one in the next couple of weeks. It’s not a matter of if, it’s a matter of when.

Seriously though, that’s a nice colour and apparently rosewood is a nice Strat fretboard material.

9. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    The price is fair, IMO.
    If it has a nice HCS, it would be about right.
    I think $300 would be more fair.
    You might consider a WTB (want to buy) ad on CL.
    You could say WTB MIM Strat, prefer rosewood, prefer (color/finish), have cash.
    You could list what you want to pay ($200-300).
    Pawn shops typically offer $100-150 for MIM Strats and Teles, regardless of case and modifications.
    So, a motivated seller would happily accept $200ish.
    Anyways, there are tons of MIM Strats out there.
    I bet you can get something you like for less.
    Good luck!

10. radiocaster

radiocaster Friend of Leo's

Aug 18, 2015
    europe
    That's not even a Squier or Fender, look at that body.

11. Lonn

Lonn Tele-Afflicted

Dec 13, 2007
    Indiana
    The body is a Lotus. The color is why I’m not buying the local strat. Too similar.

12. davidchagrin

davidchagrin Tele-Holic

Feb 8, 2009
    Hazel Park, MI
    My brother has a mim strat in that same blue color. I was just playing it yesterday. I like the color a lot. Regarding your issue, I'd pay up to, but not exceeding, $350 with a hsc. No more than $300 without a case. Mim strats are a dime a dozen. If this guy won't budge on price or meeting location, then forget it. Another will come along soon.

13. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Friend of Leo's

Oct 14, 2015
    IL, USA
    $350 and an hour drive is a bum deal imo.

Obsessed and beyer160 like this.

14. MDent77

MDent77 Tele-Holic

Jun 13, 2016
    New England
    I wouldn't be motivated to drive an hour for a guitar deal that I could get at a GC down the street. Na, for an hr drive I would hope for an axe that was something I was searching for with hopes of a great deal. But that's me!

15. beyer160

beyer160 Tele-Afflicted

Aug 11, 2010
    On Location
    Drive an hour each way for a so-so price on a guitar you're not excited about in the first place?

It's an MIM Standard, those things basically grow on trees. Wait a week and see what else comes up in GC Used or on Craigslist.

Obsessed likes this.

16. TeleAndSG

TeleAndSG Tele-Afflicted

Mar 9, 2017
    The Peach State
    Get it and customize it, so you will have a different sounding and looking Strat :)

17. whoanelly15

whoanelly15 Tele-Meister

Aug 30, 2017
    USA
    I wouldn’t. For that number, you’re almost half way to a new 60’s road worn or classic player 60’s strat. More than half way to a used one. I’d pass, but that’s me.

18. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    I'm with the crowd here ... not worth it at that price and drive. These are for sale all the time.

Only if it was a hardtail would I ever consider a second strat.

19. Olympus

Olympus Tele-Meister

Nov 11, 2009
    Southeast Missouri
    Thanks guys. I guess you talked me of a ledge. I’m gonna pass on it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.