Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Should I buy this partscaster?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by danadig, May 17, 2018.

1. danadig

danadig TDPRI Member

Aug 17, 2017
    Baltimore
    Hey everybody,

I'm new to partscasters over here, and I saw a cool one come up on Craigslist. Here's the description:

This is a copy of a Fender Duosonic I built using a custom made poplar body, and a neck from a Squire Jaguar. The body is finished in a pearl teal nitro, and the neck was tinted amber and finished with TruOil. Nice lightweight, comfortable guitar. It's in excellent condition, other than a a finish chip on the headstock. Pickups are RH Factor alnico V.

It's listed for $375, looks awesome, but I want to make sure I'm not buying a piece of crap. Any tips or insight about buying partscasters and identifying quality? I understand I'm not going to get something high end for that money, but also don't want to buy something crappy since it might be a gigging guitar.

Thanks!! 00D0D_dGqo9dior0F_1200x900.jpg

PeterUK and 3-Chord-Genius like this.

2. Donny Osmond fan

Donny Osmond fan Tele-Meister

May 6, 2018
    Uknown.

3. GuitarsAndCars

GuitarsAndCars TDPRI Member

Oct 17, 2016
    Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
    Looks Great! You should probably try it out first.
    There’ll always be people that claim you can only play a guitar made from the finest ‘tonewood’ trees, hand picked by the ghost of Leo Fender from the American side of the Fender Forest. They’ll tell you that “Everything else is garbage”.
    ;)

4. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

Feb 7, 2011
    Lewes De.
    Way too much $. Pretty tho.

5. Lupo

Lupo Tele-Holic

May 19, 2014
    Genova-Italy
    You have to try it first. I cannot see other option.

6. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

Apr 17, 2007
    Big D
    a partscaster is worth what someone will pay for it. I always go with how it plays, if it sings and plays well, then it is worth however much money you want to spend for it.

7. danadig

danadig TDPRI Member

Aug 17, 2017
    Baltimore
    What do you guys think I should offer?

8. Middleman

Middleman Friend of Leo's

Aug 29, 2007
    MV, CA
    If it plays well and inspires you I would pay him $375. It's hand built and it looks like he put some love in that one. Could be a great players guitar. If there are any issues with it i.e. staying in tune, neck not aligned, poor sustain, switch or pickup issues about $275 would be my offer.

9. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

Jul 28, 2009
    philly suburbs
    Looks cool, I would say $300 if it speaks to you...

10. bsman

bsman Tele-Afflicted

Jun 8, 2003
    Santa Clara
    For about the same price, you might be able to find one of the new MIM Duo Sonics, so I would evaluate it from that perspective. I prefer the bridge and switching of the MIM, but that one has a really nice-looking neck.

11. Zuzax

Zuzax Tele-Afflicted

Sep 1, 2011
    Texas
    If you buy it and then later decide you want to sell it, you'll probably take a loss. Granted, it won't be a huge one since your initial buy-in point is pretty low.

As others have said, play it first and make sure it doesn't have the intonation demons that haunt so many home-builts. I'd also ask to have a look at the wiring so it's not a cold joint mess on Chinese mini-pots.

Also, is that really a Fender decal I see on what is described as a Squier headstock? That would make me question the ethics of the seller right there, but that's just me...

12. danadig

danadig TDPRI Member

Aug 17, 2017
    Baltimore
    Zuzax, It was a Squier Jaguar neck, and he made it into a matching headstock with the body, and then put a Fender decal on it. He's pretty open about the specs and isn't trying to pass it off as something it isn't, which is good.

GuitarsAndCars likes this.

13. Brokenpick

Brokenpick Tele-Afflicted

Oct 29, 2008
    Dixie
    That's not all that much money.
    Try it, see how you like it.
    You can offer a little less... along the lines of, "would you consider less, if I pay cash right now? I really like it, but ..."
    Craigslist sales often involve some polite cash adjustments.
    Offering 30% less or something may get you told something about your mother or where your next destination should be... Don't be insulting. The seller isn't insulting you, don't insult him. You start talking about all the workmanship, where all the parts were sourced, the details of the setup... he might suggest you build your own partscasters.

Folks that tell you everything is overpriced and what you "should" be able to get stuff for, are missing the point that there's not a big selection of items out there, all in the same category, used, on Craigslist for you to shop from indefinitely. The reality is, you're basically looking at one of a kind items. 'Cuz even though their phone app comparison told 'em somebody bought one "like" it for way less..... that may've been 6 months ago, and 200 miles away (even though that's "your area"). So.... if you like an item, you have to decide if you wanna wait for months hoping a "similar" item appears .... that it's near enough for you to wanna bother with, and..... that somebody else doesn't snap it up before you.
    Try it. If ya like it, buy it.
    You can get repair or mod info down the road if you want changes.

14. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Friend of Leo's

Apr 3, 2015
    Winchester, VA
    It looks good and likely worth the $$$. "Partscaster" does not mean "junk". In many cases it could be better than a non-parts guitar. I'd buy it.

15. Zuzax

Zuzax Tele-Afflicted

Sep 1, 2011
    Texas
    Then that's certainly fine, but where it gets murky is when it changes hands again a few times, and that backstory is forgotten. Caveat emptor, I suppose.

16. Tommyd55

Tommyd55 Tele-Meister

Sep 25, 2013
    Southern Missouri
    It all boils down to if you like how it plays and feels in your hands..

Seriously, $375 is not a lot of money for a decent guitar. It appears he did a fairly nice job on the build.. at least from the picture. Everyone knows you can't get your money back on a partscaster unless you came by some really dirt cheap parts somewhere.

If you like how it plays and feels I'd give him what he's askin for it.. He seems to be upfront about what it really is.. though I don't really like putting a F logo on a S neck.. but he's telling you that's what it is so as long as that doesn't become an issue later if resold no biggie..imo.

If he did do a nice job on all aspects of the build I'd say it's a fair deal.
    It is a really nice looking guitar...

17. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

Apr 17, 2007
    Big D
    This would be a problem for me. When I first started building I did not put headstock logos on my guitars. Then I had a guitar where I got a great deal on a Fender neck with a headstock logo so I left it. I mated that neck to a body and it was a great guitar. I left it that way for the longest time and people got my story when they asked about. However I had someone want to buy that axe, so I took off the Fender logo and applied my logo. The buyer was fine with it and I did not feel I betrayed my handiwork as well as Fenders neck with my logo. I always try to err on the side of caution.

There are a slew of Teles and Strats I have seen on CL for $300 that are sporting Fender logos. One of the worse ones was a Fender logo on the face but on the back it said Squier Affinity crafted in Indonesia.
    Think about it, guy buys a Squier for a hundo, wipes off (the Squier decals are normally on top of the finish) the decal, applies a Fender waterslide decal and then marks it up to $300 and makes a mint off of some unsuspecting person who thinks they bought an asian made Fender.

18. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

Apr 17, 2007
    Big D
    I don't want my last post to dissuade you from buying this guitar. It does look like a good build and as a builder I know what it takes to make a one of a kind.
    But I would see if he could do something about the logo for you. Even if they put a Fernden logo on it it would be better than it saying it is something that it is not.

Also I would check the pots on the build and the pups. It is really hard to tell the difference between mini pot and good alpha pots from the top. Open it up and look at the wiring, no right minded builder would leave mini pots if at all possible. And check the pups to make sure they are not ceramic. Now I love ceramic pups, but they are tons cheaper than Alinicos.

19. PeterUK

PeterUK Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 4, 2003
    Nottingham, UK
    I like it. As others have advised, go and try it and if you connect with it, make an offer.

$375 is a top dollar but I’d bet it’s flexible.

:) Peter

20. harold h

harold h Friend of Leo's

Feb 15, 2004
    Way too high.

Just buy a used Squier, much cheaper and you know what you are getting.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.