Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Short Scale Resonator Bass

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Zepfan, Jun 5, 2016.

1. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 27, 2011
    Parts Unknown
    Cool project, can't wait to see & hear it in action!

2. Zepfan

Zepfan Friend of Leo's

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    Thanks guys. I wasn't able to get my strings this month, had to spend all available money fixing my truck. Maybe next month.

3. Zepfan

Zepfan Friend of Leo's

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    Wow, time has gone by so fast and this project got put on the back burner for a long time.

The 2 pickups that I wired together in series didn't work out so well. They ended up turning the entire top into a pickup and the handling noise was too much. I could've cut a hole in the lid and adjusted the pickups through the top, but I just couldn't make myself cut any holes in the lid. So I removed the pickups and will use them in other projects.

Had a disc piezo that I tried out. Didn't like it much in this tin, too harsh/shrill sounding.

I had a rod piezo that I bought awhile back and hadn't used, so I gave it a try. It's a rod piezo with 4 elements for a Ukulele wired to a 500k volume pot and a jack. The piezo is mounted to the through piece and is sandwiched between that piece and the tin top under the wood bridge.

It's tuned C/G/C/E/C and it sounds great. I'll never use a disc piezo again. These rod piezo's are the best. I got it from C.B.Gitty part# 50-048-01 for around 3 to 5 bucks.

The string height is a bit too high for playing with my fingers, but it's great for slide. Don't know if I'm going to leave it as is for slide or lower the strings to enjoy the fretless neck.

Here's a couple of pics.

Attached Files:

Deneb and richa like this.

4. Zepfan

Zepfan Friend of Leo's

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    I definitely will buy tuners for all my projects from here on out. The anchor bolt tuners are very sensitive and will loose tune if slightly bumped. They have been a giant PITA.

5. richa

richa Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Apr 23, 2016
    Washington
    Good reference point. Thanks.

6. LeftFinger

LeftFinger Tele-Holic

Aug 16, 2015
    Saskatchewan

7. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 27, 2011
    Parts Unknown
    Don't lose your cookies

Zepfan likes this.

8. Deneb

Deneb Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Ukraine, Dnipro
    I like your project:cool: I want to hear it!:rolleyes:

Zepfan likes this.

9. Zepfan

Zepfan Friend of Leo's

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    I do need to make a video. It took me a year to finish this thing, hope it doesn't take a year to do the video.:D

10. Zepfan

Zepfan Friend of Leo's

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    I did the DIY anchor bolt tuners just to try them out. One slight turn when close to pitch can raise/lower the pitch 1 to 2 whole steps, so super sensitive there. Also when they have the tension on them and you bump it or look at it wrong, the bolt will move as much as 3 whole steps.
    Had to add a nut to lock them in place against the through piece.

11. LeftFinger

LeftFinger Tele-Holic

Aug 16, 2015
    Saskatchewan
    It would take me 2 years to learn how to play it:lol:
    Let alone make a vid

I'm just curios what slide bass on a tin can sounds like:p

12. Zepfan

Zepfan Friend of Leo's

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    I was going to use heavy bass style strings at first, but the anchor bolts are 5/16"/8mm diameter and I was worried that a large hole through those to retain the lower strings could be a weak point.

I used strings at 52-46-36-26-17 drop tuned to C/G/C/E/C that gives more of a Baritone Guitar/Bass VI feel for a 28" scale. It's definitely different.:cool:

13. Zepfan

Zepfan Friend of Leo's

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    Can't help but think about having a Lipstick Tube pickup choice near the neck.

richa likes this.

14. LeftFinger

LeftFinger Tele-Holic

Aug 16, 2015
    Saskatchewan
    Try nuts on the eye bolts . They should work as locks once the string is in tune

15. Zepfan

Zepfan Friend of Leo's

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    Planned on doing that when I feel like taking the string off.:D

Wasn't feeling the C tuning, going to give G a try.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.