Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Zepfan, Jun 5, 2016.
Haven't done much lately, but I did drill the holes for the tuner bolts and inserts.
Oh I get it. Took me a minute to understand how the tuners were going to work. Cool!
I got a couple more pics. I hope they work as good as I thought they would.
Seems like it would. How are the strings anchored on the bolts? Is there a hole through each bolt or were you thinking just friction?
The plan is to drill a hole through each bolt big enough to stick the string through and tighten the bolt to tune the string. The string will wrap in the threads as a guide. Hopefully that is.
My plan was to use a 1/16th" aluminum flat bar for the fretboard, but I decided to use a piece of Red Oak that I already had. Got it glued and clamped up. Using a 3/8th" round piece of aluminum tube for the nut.
So 2 of my clamps(cheap Harbor Freight) let of the tension while the glue was drying which gave me a fretboard that was ramped on each end. Had to remove and start taking the old glue off.
Ouch that stinks. Sorry to hear that.
Got the fretboard glued on again with my good clamps.
Put the jack and 250k Volume pot in and wired everything up. The entire top acts like a pickup pole when the top is put on, that should be interesting.
Have you made up your mind about a low z pup?
I can get get all the stuff to make one cheap. Will probably do that later after I get everything else worked out. I'll have to wait til next month to get strings.
Look forward to seeing that. I've only recently even been aware that there is such an animal as a low z pickup and the concept has got me thinkin'.
There's a long thread over on CigarBoxNation.com about trying to make one that yielded several good working models and ideas.
The best working model used a solid 4mm to 6mm copper wire wrapped around a neodymium magnet(n45). The copper wire passed through a 1:500 transformer straight to a jack. Others used a acoustic preamp or 1:750 transformer.
They have a great clear tone that will probably negate the use of piezo's for most builders from now on.
I will check it out. Yet another reason to build an amp with a balanced input - then I could use a balanced output from the guitar.
Got the neck finished minus the nut. Stained with Minwax Providential stain/sealer. Light on the board and heavy on the neck followed with 2 coats of Truoil. Back of neck lightly rubbed with steel wool to smooth it out. The fretboard has fret lines and markers that are lightly drawn on for my reference.
Got the neck attached. Only things left to do is attach the nut, make a bridge and cut slots to anchor strings on the end plate. Can't do these things til I get my strings.
Hey that looks great. I'm liking the neck alot. That stain kinda hits a sweet spot.
I like that idea. Would be useful for a slide rig as well.
Thanks Richa. I used a Blue colored pencil for the markings, can't see them unless your close. I suppose I could put regular baritone guitar strings on it if I wanted. That way I could play bass or guitar and slide.
looks very beautiful...