Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Short Scale Resonator Bass

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Zepfan, Jun 5, 2016.

1. Zepfan

Zepfan Friend of Leo's

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    I have a large cookie tin that my mother in law gave me(4" x 12" x 9") and some square-ish table legs(2 &1/4" x 1 & 3/4" x 21") made of some white wood of unknown origin with a nice tone to them. Not too hard and not too soft.
    So the idea of a fretless short scale resonator bass popped into my mind.
    Thought of a headless style with tuners mounted in a tail piece. So one leg will be a through piece with cutout for tuners and one leg for the neck. The bridge will be a piece of wood on top of the tin lid with a steel bolt, nut will be a brass bolt CBG style. Tuners will be eye bolts with the appropiate size hole drilled through for the strings.

Attached Files:

Peter Rarebit likes this.

2. Zepfan

Zepfan Friend of Leo's

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    Got the holes cut for the through piece and supports installed.

Attached Files:

3. Zepfan

Zepfan Friend of Leo's

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    Cut the hole for the tuners.

Attached Files:

4. Zepfan

Zepfan Friend of Leo's

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    Did a mockup with the neck.

Attached Files:

5. Zepfan

Zepfan Friend of Leo's

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    Got the neck installed. Time to remove the neck and start shaping it.

Attached Files:

6. Zepfan

Zepfan Friend of Leo's

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    Pickups: Rondo has a set of 5 string JBass pups for 19 bucks that I have my eye on.
    But I'm really wanting to make a low impedance Alumatone Style pup. May do both. When I make the low z pup, I'll post all the pics.
    That's all for now. Tell me your thoughts.

7. Zepfan

Zepfan Friend of Leo's

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    Thinking of doing a V shaped neck. Needs a truss rod. Thinking about using a flat piece of aluminum for the fretboard.

8. mudbelly

mudbelly Tele-Meister

May 19, 2012
    United States
    Kind of very similar to something I did. It's got a pizo pickup and to sttings. If you expect it to play like a real bass it won't but I can do stuff with it. More of an art piece.

Attached Files:

9. Zepfan

Zepfan Friend of Leo's

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    Looks nice, I like that tin. Why won't it play like a real Bass?

10. mudbelly

mudbelly Tele-Meister

May 19, 2012
    United States
    Well it does if you are a jug band kind of guy.

11. richa

richa Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Apr 23, 2016
    Washington
    Acoustically the relatively small tin won't resonate at low frequency the way a larger body would (e.g. - upright bass). Once you put pickups on the picture changes alot. At that point your sound is dominated by how solid a platform the neck and body provide for the longer scale bass strings. You will probably be suprised. But the tin will still put its stamp on the sonic envelope because the bridge is being supported by some relatively floppy sheet metal. Depends on what kind of sound you're going for whether this will be a good or bad. The better the mechanical connection of the bridge to the neck the more conventional it will start to sound.

I love builds like this and will be curious what you think of the sound. That's a pretty cool looking tin.

12. Zepfan

Zepfan Friend of Leo's

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    The neck and through piece are sturdy and have a nice tap tone to them. Knew the tin would add to the tone, was wanting it to do so. Just not sure how much it will influence the tone. I made a 4 string guitar out of a gas can awhile back that turned out nice and I'm using the same building technique, but the tin isn't as sturdy as the gas can is.
    If I use the Jbass pups, they will be screwed into the wood through piece. The low impedance pup is the challenge. If it goes inside the tin, it can be too much vibration and could be a problem with microphonics. So outside the tin would probably be best which means it will be heavily tin based tone. It will be on a 3-way switch. Hopefully it will all turn out good. I'll have fun at least.

13. richa

Apr 23, 2016
    Washington
    Only way to find out is to try. That's what I like about projects like this.

Doug 54 likes this.

14. Zepfan

Zepfan Friend of Leo's

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    Though some more on the low z pup and how to mount it. The neck will sit a 1/2" above the top of the tin. So maybe I could mount the low z pup assembly to the end of the neck just above the top like those Jazz Box pickups.

15. richa

Apr 23, 2016
    Washington
    Might get a bit more bass response there too. You're thinking actually mount it to the end face of the neck?

16. Zepfan

Zepfan Friend of Leo's

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    Yes. That way I only get a little tin influence to the tone and less problems with microphonics. Putting a low z pup inside a tin can be a big problem, on top of the tin will be too much tin influence. So at the end of the neck will hopefully be just right with the best of both wood and tin.

17. Zepfan

Zepfan Friend of Leo's

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    Started working on the neck yesterday. Hogged out a channel for the 1/4" square steel non-adjustable trussrod, installed the trussrod and started forming the back.

On other guitars I've made, I had some problems gluing in the non-adjustable trussrod. One had a good bit of back bow in it that I couldn't correct without tearing it to pieces. This time I wedged some tooth picks on each side to wedge the rod in to keep it from rattling.

I started forming the back as usual, routing the edge with a 1/2" roundover bit in my router. Then I broke out the rasp file, utility knife blades that I use as scrapers and sandpaper. Almost finished one side. I'll be done in a couple days. Going to use a 1/16" thick aluminum flat stock for the fretboard attached with glue and screws that double as fret markers. Haven't figured out how to permanently mark the board were the frets would be yet.

Attached Files:

18. richa

Apr 23, 2016
    Washington
    Aluminum fretboard...cool. Looking forward to seeing how that shakes out.

19. Zepfan

Zepfan Friend of Leo's

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    Thought it would look good with the tin.

20. Deneb

Deneb Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Ukraine, Dnipro
    Oh, I missed a lot. I do not understand in the construction of these guitars. But it's interesting. Looks good!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.