Shop cleaning tip:

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by dsutton24, Apr 18, 2013.

1. dsutton24

dsutton24 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Just pump your sawdust out into the front yard! :D

We're having a lot of rain right now, and we got a frog-strangler last night on already saturated ground, the result was about nine inches of water in the basement despite running two pumps.

Nothing important was lost or damaged, I don't have chronic wet basement trouble, but it happens often enough that I usually don't leave anything on the floor. One of my routers got wet, and I'll probably have to replace my furnace blower, neither of which is a big deal in the least. But, the one thing that I'll regret was that a gorgeous 16" wide piece of Coffee Bean got wet. It was part of the next project, but for now I'm going to set it aside for a good long while and see what happens.

Anybody else washing the sawdust out of your shops? :rolleyes:

2. jpbturbo

jpbturbo Tele-Afflicted

I managed to patch the hole in the roof of my shop before the last round of heavy rain came through the other night.
    A rotten branch had fallen off of a tree and punched a small hole right through one of the shingles and split the plywood.
    A bunch of roofing tar and an additional shingle and it seems to be staying dry.

3. Colt W. Knight

Colt W. Knight Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

What is this "cleaning" of which you speak?

[​IMG]

4. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

LOL, a simple flooding wouldn't have much effect on mine, either! It would take at least a fire hose to even begin to clean it, in its current state.

5. Nick JD

Nick JD Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I was at a furniture makers shops a few years back. He gave me a really good piece of advice about cleaning:

At the end of the day, just walk off. Don't clean up at all. The first job the next day is to clean up - that way you do a better cleaning job.

It really works.

6. sjohnbruton

sjohnbruton Tele-Holic

The "walk off" I think I can handle.

It's the "next day" part that kills me.... I don't get out in my shop often enough as it is. Maybe if I change it to "the first job the next month...."

7. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

When I was in finishing carpentry and architectural stone, the law of the land was "clean up as you go". Most of my time was spent on job sites, which in my case was high-end homes. Clean and organized at all times was part of the presentation, and that habit has carried over into my own work at home.

Now my kitchen, on the other hand... :eek:

8. jkingma

jkingma Super Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    This is what a shop SHOULD look like... ;)

9. jpbturbo

jpbturbo Tele-Afflicted

Except that he's got way too much space.

10. fretman_2

fretman_2 Friend of Leo's

I want to know also! I'm too ADD to be able to keep a clean and organized shop!!!

11. bullfrogblues

bullfrogblues Friend of Leo's

I sure don't keep my shop spotless, but what isn't sucked up in the dust collector gets blown out the garage door with a leaf blower. My truck always looks like crap, though...

12. adeiderich

adeiderich Tele-Afflicted

I prefer the clean as you go method. Less mess = less stress.

13. Nub

Nub Friend of Leo's

The shops I've worked in have always done the opposite... take some time at the end of the day to clean up the shop, wipe your tools down, and put stuff away. That way, when you walk in the next morning, everything is clean and ready to go. Always done that in my own shop, too... if I start cleaning when I first walk in, I see too many little "shop maintenance" projects that need to be done, start messing around with those, and never get around to working on customer's stuff. ;)

14. OpenG Capo4

OpenG Capo4 Friend of Leo's

What to do with my sawdust is becoming a thing for me. I make about 2 shopvac loads full a week.

When I lived next to some woods I would just go dump it in the woods. Now that I have a house in a sort of suburban culs-de-sac, I've been taking it and dumping it in my raised bed planter to compost. I planted peppers and tomatoes in the raised bed last week in 3 inches of beautiful black dirt.

But now I can't dump sawdust and planer shavings there anymore, lol.

I reckon I'll start another compost pile somewhere else in the yard.

15. CapnCrunch

CapnCrunch Friend of Leo's

Sounds like you're at the end of your space, but if you add chips and dust to your planting beds, be careful of which species of wood you add to the pile. There are some that will kill most of what you plant in them. For instance Western Red Cedar. I killed part of a new lawn and some new landscaping with a bunch of Cedar planer shavings. :oops:

16. jkingma

jkingma Super Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    I put shavings under my cedar trees along the fence line of my property. Sawdust just gets spread over the lawn like fertilizer.

17. Rich Rice

Rich Rice Poster Extraordinaire

I generate so much crap there's nothing more to do than put it in big bags and send it off with the garbage man. I rototilled a mess of sawdust into the garden, thinking it would break down- it is too fine. After a heavy rain, concretion occurred.. I had to go break the crust up around the new plantings. I've spread it in the flowerbeds, around bushes, sprinkled it on the lawn- I'm maxed out. Not to mention mountains of it sitting on my cnc table. I'm afraid to clean that off now, due to cocobolo dust mixed in there and allergies. This is an ongoing battle here, with the best solution being not to do any work- thus avoiding more dust and shavings.. ;)

18. Lunchie

Lunchie Poster Extraordinaire

Nah its walk off and let 2nd shift do it, because they are lazy and never get anything done! :lol:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.