Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Shishkov one pickup model, jr style, with a blade switch? WTF!

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Rodi, Jun 8, 2017.

1. Rodi

Rodi TDPRI Member

Jul 24, 2012
    CT
    Two years, nine months in the waiting.

I ordered the color then, not after Prince died! :) My wife made me!

It's light if it's 6.5lbs, that would be on the heavy side

One piece hog body with maple cap.

Beautiful binding.

Faber wraptail piece, 3328. It is really nice, looks better than I thought.

Schaller Tuning pegs.

Josh Gravelin Pickup (more on this later in the post)

Acoustically it rings for a long, long time, beautiful

I have always loved Jrs., my guitars... so I approached Mike Shishkov about building one, but with a twist... I also love esquires... so it was inspired two ways from my side. Mike had just started his business (he worked for Hamer for 25 years). The blade switch VT/V/ Straight through. I call it Rhytm, Riff n Lead. The blade switch adds a lot of versatility. Mike had at some point contacted me about the how the neck is put into the body, I dunno, do what you think is best! That was my basis for the whole guitar, here are my ideas (as whacked out as they are) and you build it. So I ordered a junior style and Mike didn't even have guitar models at that point, was gonna be a total custom job. Then he came out with his Cobra and Maverick (double and single cut), he said a flat double cut would not be a problem. So I love old jrs.... his DC is a lot different than any other junior. I considered quite a bit on this and then I said, I'm really in, you know better than me. That turned out fantastic, btw, to me, in person its redefined a jr. to me.

The wood. WOW, Mahogany with some personality, so much so he talked me into not painting the neck and back and keeping it natural. Totally beautiful. I keep looking at the back of the guitar.

The heel blend, Wow...beautiful and the most solid set neck guitar I have ever played.

The pickup, OK, at some point Mike told me to contact Josh Gravelin about the pickup. I told him my goals, amps and sound I wanted. He musta said, WTF! P90, vintage hot, but not modern. My amps are all stoner sludge rock no master volume amps, Fender Tremolux tweed clone, Vintage 47 (Valco styled) trem o tone, Mesa Blue Angel and two old Magnatones, M10a and an M14. Johnny Thunders, Neil Young, Buzzcocks swirling distortion is what I love.

Nailed it totally. I think it comes in under 9, but it's the loudest clearest P90 I"ve ever heard. On my Vintage 47, it's killer! Josh Gravelin is a great guy, he really listened to me and built a beast of a P90!

Mike is the nicest guy, and he and his wife opened their house to me several times (I live 45 minutes away) and were so gracious too. Great to support a true artist

I'd say contact Mike Shishkov now before they get crazy expensive, he is still reasonable, btw, but its not cheap either.

Thanks Mike Shishkov!

Attached Files:

2. Rodi

Rodi TDPRI Member

Jul 24, 2012
    CT
    Frets are perfect too!

3. Stubee

Stubee Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Jan 22, 2007
    Mid-Michigan
    That is nice.

4. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 27, 2011
    Parts Unknown
    Very cool guitar!
    Is he related to Yiriy Shishkov, at Fender Custom Shop...gotta be?

Last edited: Jun 9, 2017

5. Texsunburst59

Texsunburst59 Tele-Afflicted

Nov 16, 2005
    Texas Gulf Coast
    VERY Cool Rodi.

I had no idea that was a Shiskov.

You posted a pic of your guitar in my 1st Gibson LP Jr. thread at the Hamer forum.

I really do like that color and would play that guitar.

I guess there's no way to play one of these guitars until you order one.

Unfortunately, I never buy any guitars I can't play in person.

Maybe one of these days on could end up at a music store for me to try out.

Congrats on a KILLER guitar Rodi.

6. fatcat

fatcat Friend of Leo's

Jul 6, 2010
    Very Deep South
    That's awesome!

7. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Ad Free Member

May 10, 2003
    Near Milwaukee
    Beautiful!
    Congratulations.

8. Rodi

Rodi TDPRI Member

Jul 24, 2012
    CT
    Yes,

They are brothers.

Each day I'm more impressed!

9. Blazer

Blazer Doctor of Teleocity

Dec 2, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Way cool, congrats man.

Rodi likes this.

10. Rodi

Rodi TDPRI Member

Jul 24, 2012
    CT
    I'd say if you love Hamer guitars, you will love a Shishkov even more so. You don't have to worry so much about sight unseen, you speak directly with the man responsible for the Newport and Improv and you talk. It's that simple at the start. Mike will not disappoint because he is an attentive artist and craftsman...My guitar is the simplest one he has built, but he put so much creative love and old world craftsmanship into this guitar. Nothing goes out that does not please him.

As an aside I bought all my Hamers sight unseen, a Mahogany Artist P90, Newport, Cruisebass with 2tek bridge and a T-51. Yeah, they were all less than the Shishkov, but still a risk... but they all worked out great, and they were all used. Now with one of Mikes, you can't lose in that department. To my mind, the only question is, should I get another one while they are still affordable? I don't see many being on the used market for less than what was paid new... an interesting juxtaposition compared to used Hamers...

C'mon Tex, you get one and pick it up and we'll go to lunch!

11. Blazer

Blazer Doctor of Teleocity

Dec 2, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Yeah, old Hamers are cool, in fact when I was building THIS one...
    stripes1.jpg I used those old Hamers as inspiration.

I took that one to band rehearsal last week and my second guitarist and my singer both played it and went "How can you find your way around that thing, it's so tiny!"

True though, those double cuts are indeed small but I'm used to it so I don't mind.

12. Texsunburst59

Texsunburst59 Tele-Afflicted

Nov 16, 2005
    Texas Gulf Coast
    You're probably right about not being disappointed about buying one sight unseen,but I can't and won't break my golden rule.

I have to see,feel, and hear ANY guitar before I buy it.

Period.

Rodi likes this.

13. Rodi

Rodi TDPRI Member

Jul 24, 2012
    CT
    Here we are a few months down the road, and the Shishkov is so fantastic, beyond words.

14. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    Very cool, enjoy it!

Rodi likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.