Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Shipping A Telecaster Price???

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Texicaster, Sep 14, 2018.

1. Texicaster

Texicaster TDPRI Member

May 9, 2018
    Arizona
    ¡Bueno!

I am selling a '52 AVRI Telecaster on Reverb and trying to get the shipping charges figured out.

Local UPS store says $220; Reverb price tool says $38!

Trying to get UPS to commit a frustration.....

Has anyone here sold and shipped a Telecaster in a classic case via UPS recently?

Texacaster

2. hdvades

hdvades Tele-Meister

Mar 6, 2016
    Hudson Valley, NY
    If you box it up yourself about $75 to $90 depending on the distance shipped. That's what I spent shipping a couple guitars recently. I prefer Fedex. UPS always seems a little higher. But yeah generally in that price range.

StrangerNY likes this.

3. D_W_PGH

D_W_PGH Tele-Meister

Aug 28, 2018
    Pittsburgh
    UPS retail is higher than reverb's arranged amount will be, but not $220 (Which is closer to a fed ex 2 day shipping cost cross country on a 20 pound guitar box).

I wouldn't guess that reverb's estimate includes insurance, but figure insurance in a $1500 guitar might be a couple of dollars per hundred of value.

Definitely box it and ship it yourself if you have the case and bubble wrap.

4. schmee

schmee Friend of Leo's

Jun 2, 2003
    northwest
    It's all about DISTANCE. I can ship an amp 100 miles locally for $15. It's $79 to new york. Ebay shipper calcs may cost you money. Apparently Reverb, doesnt have variable shipping by zip code. ?
    A $40 shipment recently was priced to the buyer at $30 on Ebay. It cost me $10. The trouble is, for variable shipping, as a seller, you cant see what Ebay's going to charge the buyer!

5. Texicaster

Texicaster TDPRI Member

May 9, 2018
    Arizona
    Thanks!

I'm trying to come up with a reasonable number so I can roll it into price and provide "free shipping".

Trying to come to a rock bottom price on the Tele and calculate Reverb fees and shipping to hit that mark. The $200 window is way to big! A $50 margin of error works for me.

6. Blue

Blue Tele-Holic

Jun 15, 2008
    England
    TOO big.

7. Hexabuzz

Hexabuzz Friend of Leo's

Dec 13, 2014
    Northeast PA
    UPS stores are franchises. FedEx/Kinkos are owned by FedEx.

What that means is that if you bring a package to FedEx you get FedEx rates.

If you go to a UPS Store you get the owner's markup ON TOP OF UPS rates. And if you let them pack it, to get their guarantee, you will be charged ridiculous fees for the packing material and their couple of minutes time to box something up.

When I finally figured this out, I was livid that the guy who had been shipping my stuff had been gouging me over what it would have cost if I packed it myself and bought the label online.

You can also go online to both UPS and FedEx and put in dimensions and weight, and get rates. Just put in a destination zip code that's geographically furthest from you so you get a maximum price. When it's time to ship you can pay for and print a label and just drop it off.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.