Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Shin's Music Dumbloid

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by csapo, Oct 31, 2013.

1. TheSmokingMan

TheSmokingMan Banned

Jan 7, 2011
    Belle Plaine, KS
    and? that was what? yesterday? $5 too. pretty much makes the enclosure the most expensive part doesn't it? probably under $30 in parts total so triple that and you've paid yourself and made a profit too. thank you for making my earlier point for me.

2. RetroTeleRod

RetroTeleRod Friend of Leo's

Oct 24, 2012
    Oklahoma, USA
    Resuming my earlier post now. It was only the pizza delivery guy, whew! So here follows the definitive pedal listing from RetroTeleRod's House of Goop and Bait 'n Tackle.
    Despite bogus copies circulating on FleaBay and other sites, there are only 2 actual House of Goop pedals in existence. Here's the lowdown...

(1) Elaine Boosler Booster Custom Pedal, sent to soulgeezer in lieu of commission. If you are ever in the land of Sinatra and have a chance to hear his band you might be able to catch a glimpse of this legendary tone machine on his board...or maybe not.
    (1) Elaine b Triple Drive prototype I was working on as a gift for our own 11ga in appreciation for all I've learned from his posts. Unfortunately this housing was seized in the raid and I doubt it will ever again see the light of day. It can easily be identified by the router scoring on the upper right-hand corner as I was working on it when the agents burst in on me, causing significant damage. (both to myself and the pedal) As an aside to this story, the web is rife with speculation as to whether the lower case "b" refers to Elaine Benes (of Seinfeld fame) or Elaine Boosler, I'll never tell. Let the mystique grow!
    Bye for now. Happy Tone Hunting, Rod.

3. TheRumRunner

TheRumRunner Tele-Afflicted

Dumblepedalz = $600

Clone thereof = $300

Partz for above = $30

Did I miss anything?

Dw

4. TheRumRunner

Retro, can you sell me some more of that GermaniumSolder, I ran out whilst re-soldering my last 27 pedals.

The new toanz are f-a-b-u-l-o-u-s.

Should I do my patch cords as well?

DW

5. RetroTeleRod

Oct 24, 2012
    Oklahoma, USA
    Yes and Yes my friend. :D

6. bloomz

bloomz Tele-Holic

Labor?

But, Dude! If you'll make me one for $30 you're on - I'd love to try stacking them.

Hell I'll buy one for all my friends too. I'll take 10 of them.

Where do I send my check and when can you have them ready?

I actually did Laugh Out Loud there!!!

7. RetroTeleRod

Oct 24, 2012
    Oklahoma, USA
    For all of you who have been wondering what I've been up to since the demise of RetroTeleRod's House of Goop and Tattoo Parlor let me bring you up to speed on my latest venture. I'm currently engaged in top-secret negotiations with a certain Texas tonemeister, who wishes to remain anonymous, regarding the release of his own line of quarter sawn beach flip-flops. These will naturally come in the proper foot radius with no paint between the sole and the straps for maximum resonance and (of course) a thin nitrocellulose lacquer finish. Stay...wait for it...tuned! Happy Toe Hunting, Rod.

8. B.G.

B.G. Tele-Meister

Apr 28, 2012
    California
    I have nothing to add, but I have to say that this may be the best thread ever.

9. sirbergersworth

sirbergersworth Tele-Meister

Aug 30, 2011
    St. Louis, MO
    Ha.
    Mine sounded better.
    change the op amp? No one will ever know because I sanded off the label.

Mine sounded better due to the unicorns blood I mix into my flux. And, of course, my goop sounds much better than yours.

10. TheSmokingMan

TheSmokingMan Banned

Jan 7, 2011
    Belle Plaine, KS
    you grossly overestimate your worth if you think your labor is worth $270 per pedal. you don't even know how or why the pedal works so good luck doing any debugging or repair work on your own product. this gets more priceless as it goes on.

11. bloomz

bloomz Tele-Holic

I want one for $30 - lil smokie can you do it for me?????

12. slippin slider

slippin slider Tele-Afflicted

Jul 30, 2013
    California
    And.....I was going to run right and buy one. Man I am glad
    that I read this thread through and through. Now all is crystal
    clear.

Attached Files:

13. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 21, 2003
    Near BWI Int'l
    I like John K's build of this - no big honkin' box. No affil w/John K.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Apparently, John found the Burr Brown chip to be really fizzy at higher gain settings (no surprise there), so he went with a MC33172N to address the issue.

Also, just FYI, John used a vero layout for his, found here:

http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.com/

[​IMG]

I just thought this info might help to finally wind things down with this thread - IMO the point of discussing this pedal priced at either $600 or $300 no longer needs to be a consideration. You can value it at what you like, but bottom line is things have changed regarding the previous price of admission...

14. TheRumRunner

Parts dude, just the parts. I know reading is hard.

Labour and SUCKER tax is extra.

For you, today only... $70 for my burnt digits so that's $100 even.

You can Paypal me the $1000 (gift please, as that 3% cuts into my leeeeean profits) to:

MyRumFund@gmail.com

Thx for the biz:cool:

DW

15. chris m.

chris m. Friend of Leo's

That's some mighty clean vero board work. Whenever I work with vero layouts I fry something. A PCB with traces is SO much easier, IMO.

16. bloomz

bloomz Tele-Holic

Check is in the mail.

17. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 21, 2003
    Near BWI Int'l
    It looks like there's at least one person who's got an order of PCB's in the can - I think they will be around $2 a pop, but don't hold me to that.

Bottom line is you can grab any TS clone PCB and "bend it" for the Dumbloid changes rather easily. I think the hardest part would be replacing the 1K resistor in the neg feedback loop of IC1B with the 25K pot and LED, but that's really not anything tough for someone who assembles stuff from pieces anyway.

I think the best part about that specific vero build is that a MC33172N chip was used instead of the original Burr Brown. Since this thing has no clipping diodes in the 1st negative feedback loop, there's no clamping/limiting as the op amp goes into clipping. Things get very buzzy/fizzy as that threshold is crossed - that's why something like a TS or any of the old classic dirt pedal "platforms" need a bit more refinement to make something like that work. Long story short is someone was cool enough to do some chip swapping to find something that works better if you want to go higher on the gain/drive dial.

18. JHVH!

JHVH! Banned

Apr 30, 2013
    east
    Labor on a pedal isn't that intensive. Guys like .011, JohnK and I assume Taylo C
    can slap together a pedal in an hour or less for circuits of this type. I'm super slow and can put together a TS type circuit in about two hours. The Dumbloid doesn't look to have a much higher parts count, if at all.

I assemble pedals for friends and acquaintances for 75.00 to 100.00. No need for
    a great gouging on labor.

19. sirbergersworth

sirbergersworth Tele-Meister

Aug 30, 2011
    St. Louis, MO
    But, it takes a while for the goop to dry. That's labor time, correct?

20. Lowbassnotes

Lowbassnotes Friend of Leo's

Feb 7, 2012
    Pacific Rim USA
    My friend here in the neighborhood is building Roland Jet Phaser clones for about $300 bucks. How does one of these dumble drives compare to that in difficulty?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.