Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Shifted bridge, short-scale 'tele'

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Honza992, Oct 19, 2017.

1. Honza992

Honza992 TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

Aug 6, 2015
    Nottingham, UK
    Hi Lokkochaa, good to hear from another local!

I've found a headtorch (and all the workshop lights switched off) works really well for the body, I can pretty much see everything as it goes on. The neck though I'm still finding it hard to see what I'm doing, I guess because it's pretty much all curved surface.

Glad to hear you're also using HP. I'm using HVLP so pressures are different, but like you I've found HP to be pretty forgiving - I don't think I've ever had witness lines. I've never done a gloss finish though, satin at most.

2. Honza992

Aug 6, 2015
    Nottingham, UK
    I've done grainfill with dark-brown tinted water-based filler (the Stewmac one, can't remember it's name). I've also sprayed a couple of coats of GF Sanding Sealer. I was noticing some fumes in my face mask though so I've shelved it until some new filters arrive. The idea of breating in clouds of whatever awful thing polyurethane is made from does not appeal!

This is where we are, hopefully next week should see some real progress.....

[​IMG]

tintag27 likes this.

3. Honza992

Aug 6, 2015
    Nottingham, UK
    As far as colours go, so far I've not found anything i'm happy with. These were done spraying (mixol) white, then a mixture of Trantint Amber and Crimson Guitars Brown.

Here are two test samples, the first with neutral grain fill....
    [​IMG]

The next with the dark brown grain fill that I've used on the body....
    [​IMG]

I like none of them:( Too too murky brown. I think I need to take the white further. Also given how poor my spray technique is, I need to remember to take it very slow, many subtle coats to avoid streaking.

What I'd like is more of a creamy butterscotch like this:
    [​IMG]

Which I'm guessing is much more white, much less amber and a touch of brown. I feel as though this fender may also have the amber/brown colour mixed in with the white, rather than it being a white body with tinted clearcoat. I like the satin look rather than high gloss. Anway, back to the drawing board.....

Last edited: Dec 3, 2017

4. Honza992

Aug 6, 2015
    Nottingham, UK
    I notice that Mixol do a Yellow Oxide colour that to me looks like a pretty good match for a more normal fender butterscotch like this:
    [​IMG]

Here's the colour swatch from Mixol:
    [​IMG]

Close. But close enough?

5. Honza992

Aug 6, 2015
    Nottingham, UK
    That's good enough for me!

I've ordered a sample bottle. Let's see how it looks on the test.....

6. Honza992

Aug 6, 2015
    Nottingham, UK
    I'm still waiting for the Mixol pigment to arrive, so in the meantime I thought I would make the pickguard template. I'm not sure I've ever seen a build thread including a pickguard-making post, so here's mine in probably more detail than any of you would want. But here goes anyway.....

First up I used the body template to rout the bottom curve. I used a binding router bit which allows bearings of different sizes to be put on the shaft, therefore allowing you to rout a shape, just smaller. So I ended up with this:
    [​IMG]

Next I retrieved from my template filing system (ok, a pile on the floor) the custom template I had made for the neck joint. It was a simple job to rout the same hole in the pickguard template, ensuring it will match the neck perfectly:
    [​IMG]

I then made a very simple jig from a straight edge and a couple of pieces of scrap to rout out the indentation by the bridge:
    [​IMG]

The upper curve of the pickguard template was more of a problem. The curve is compound and doesn't follow the curve of the body. Guitar shapes are pretty much all curves of some sort. So going through my templates of bass guitars I found that the upper horn of a Precision matches the shape of the upper curve of a tele pickguard almost perfectly....well, close enough for a mutt of tele anyway. So here's a Precision body routing a Tele pickguard:
    [​IMG]

Finally I did the semi-circular rout for the control cavity cover. This was when things got really really bizarre. I found that I had a milling router bit that was exactly the same diameter (31.75mm) as the curve on the control cover. Weird. Normally everything is just too small, or a tiny bit too large, or just not long enough, or at just not quite the right angle. But this time, spot on. I guess it had to happen once in my building career. No doubt the only time.......Anyway, here's the template in it's final glory:[​IMG]

I'm sure the traditionalists out there are choking on their cornflakes in disgust, but I'm pretty pleased!

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017 at 4:41 PM
    RogerC likes this.

7. Bugeater281

Bugeater281 Tele-Meister

Nov 30, 2016
    Omaha
    I vote leave the wood plain, that's a pretty body. Put a little tru-oil on a piece of scrap, it'll darken up and look nice.

8. Honza992

Aug 6, 2015
    Nottingham, UK
    Bug, believe me I hear you. I've just got a bee in my (very fetching) bonnet about the mineral stain on the top horn. Were it not for that I'm pretty sure I would already be singing Puff the Magic Dragon to my bemused (and already embarassed) 21 month old daughter. Once I had learned the chords clearly. But my eyes would be drawn to that damn stain every time that poor dragon was left behind......

9. Bugeater281

Bugeater281 Tele-Meister

Nov 30, 2016
    Omaha
    Have you tried wetting the area around the stain or put alcohol on it? And is it from mineral oil? If so you may not even see it under tru oil. If so put some mineral oil on a scrap and try some true oil over it and see what happens.

10. Honza992

Aug 6, 2015
    Nottingham, UK
    It's a proper stain deep in the wood. I did some tests and tru-oil amplifies it! Hence the semi opaque finish....

11. Honza992

Aug 6, 2015
    Nottingham, UK
    A quick question for everyone.

I used waterbase grain fill, then General Finishes waterbase sanding sealer till everything was smooth (I checked, honest). I put on two coats of white (GF High Performance with Mixol white pigment mixed in) and all is looking good - if I keep on like this it will probably take 4 or 5 coats to get the level of white opaqueness I want. I now notice though that there are still quite a few open pores over the darker grain. Either my eyesight is poor or the filler/sanding sealer has shunk back.

So my question is, can I put sanding sealer over the top of my (white) colour coat, make sure that is smooth and not shrinking back, then start up doing the white coats again? Or do I have to sand off the white I've already done so the new sanding sealer is being sprayed on top of the old?

Thanks all.

12. ndeli55

ndeli55 Tele-Afflicted

May 12, 2008
    oklahoma

Timbermate won't shrink, but if you put your coats on too wet it will reactivate or loosen up and flow out of the valleys and somewhere else. I'd sand back, at least a scuff and reapply your filler. Then mist coat the first few coats then start heavier

13. matmosphere

matmosphere Tele-Meister

May 27, 2015
    District of Columbia
    Have you considered a carbonita style pickgaurd or a thin line style pickgaurd? Either would minimize the distortion to the pickgaurd caused by moving the bridge.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.