Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Shifted bridge, short-scale 'tele'

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Honza992, Oct 19, 2017.

1. Honza992

Honza992 TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

Aug 6, 2015
    Nottingham, UK
    Well the woodworky phase of this build is almost over.

I spent most of the day finalising the shape of the neck. I'm not that keen on the standard fender neck joint so I carved it into a bit more of a flowing shape:
    [​IMG]

I then did the roundover on the body and all that is lacking now is a bit more sanding and we're good to go to finishing. At the moment they look like this:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 21, 2017

2. Honza992

Aug 6, 2015
    Nottingham, UK
    On the body I'm going to use the Stewmac Colortone grain filler. Because the plan is to do a butterscotch finish I want to emphasize the grain a bit so I'm going to tint it first. Or at least that's the plan at the moment. I've never tinted grain fill before so I did a bit of experimenting.

Here are two options, tint with (Transtint) Black or a dark Brown (from Crimson Guitars).
    [​IMG]
    Both took a lot more tint that I was expecting. Especially the black, which even with quite a bit added in still looked a fairly unappealing grey. So at the moment the brown is the more likely. I've used both on some scrap so we'll see how it looks tomorrow.

Anyone with any experience of tinting grain fill underneath blonde finish? Any advice or pointers greatly appreciated!

Kriticaster and Mat UK like this.

3. Kriticaster

Kriticaster TDPRI Member

Nov 5, 2017
    Crete, Greece
    This is amazing work! I can’t believe how tight that neck joint looks!! Seriously envious of your wood working ability!!
    I hope the grain fill and stain works how you hope :)
    Looking forward to seeing this baby finished

4. TRexF16

TRexF16 Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2011
    Tucson
    Concur, the neck joint is great!

5. RickyRicardo

RickyRicardo Friend of Leo's

Mar 27, 2012
    Calgary, Alberta
    The grain fill on the left is more of what I did on mine - maybe a little darker. I would add in a drop of black or a few more of dark brown.

6. Honza992

Aug 6, 2015
    Nottingham, UK
    Thanks very much for the kind words:)

7. Honza992

Aug 6, 2015
    Nottingham, UK
    Funny you should say that, I've just sanded the sample board back and re-done it with a darker brown! Great minds!

Kriticaster likes this.

8. Deegatron

Deegatron Tele-Meister

Feb 5, 2014
    Alberta, Canada
    Dude, where are the updates?!?!? I'm really digging this build!

9. DrASATele

DrASATele Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 6, 2012
    North of Boston

10. Honza992

Aug 6, 2015
    Nottingham, UK
    Ha ha thanks Deegatron. This is the reason, go shout at her!
    [​IMG]

I'm an Old Dad, and the little one has had days and days of high temperature and unbelievable (really, unbelievable) snot production. So none of us have had any sleep.....Tomorrow though she has a morning at nursery so I'll hopefully make it into the workshop:)

(And today in the bath she said her name for the first time.....:):):):):D:D:D:p:p:p:cool::cool::cool::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::):):):):))

11. Zepfan

Zepfan Friend of Leo's

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    Yep, girls start talking at an early age and never depart from it.:lol:

12. RickyRicardo

Mar 27, 2012
    Calgary, Alberta
    I had my first (girl) at your current age and a second girl 2-1/2 years later. So I know what an Old Dad is. I'm also Daddy Taxi..:lol::lol::lol:

Looking forward to your updates..

13. Honza992

Aug 6, 2015
    Nottingham, UK
    OK, I've started spraying the neck. I'm using General Finishes (water based) High Performance and a HVLP turbine sprayer & 1.3mm gun.

I've used HP a couple of times before with very mixed results. I'm finding the biggest issue is not being able to see properly how much I'm spraying - if I don't have the light or my head in exactly the right position, I can't see what I'm spraying and I get drips. It's incredibly frustrating. I find the HP is pretty forgiving once its on - I've never had witness lines - and it doesn't seem to be particularly sensitive to needle size, air pressure, temperature, dilution etc.

It's strange because there are countless threads on guitar boards about what clearcoat to spray, needle size, air pressure, etc etc, but virtually nothing about how to spray - how to set up lighting so that a complex shape like a guitar neck will always have reflected light bouncing into my eye so I can see how much I am putting on. I've resorted to turning the workshop lights off and using a powerful head torch. It works ok, better than fixed lights, but its still not great, the gun tends to get in the way. I even tried attaching the head torch to my gun to see whether that was any better.....

Does anyone else find this to be a problem, or is it just me?

Please. Someone. Help......:(

;)

Edit: Also, does anyone know if for a waterbase finish like HP each coat should be done in one pass (which is what I've been doing) or is it like what I've read about spraying nitro, three passes makes one coat.

14. Tallthinman

Tallthinman TDPRI Member

I do my spraying in a shallow alcove facing the outside wall. I have a big overhead light fixture and a four foot long fluorescent light fixture mounted horizontally on the wall in front of me a little above waist high so I can look down at whatever I am spraying and get a reflection from the light in front of me. This won't really help while actually spraying, but does let me have a quick look at it between passes (if it turns it you need multiple passes ;) ).
    I have been following your build and I am looking forward to seeing how it turns out. BTW, I put a lighter set of machine heads on my light weight tele and it helped the neck dive more than I though it would. Maybe the next step will be new body with the neck set a little further into the body......assuming your plan works out :).

15. RickyRicardo

Mar 27, 2012
    Calgary, Alberta
    If you're getting drips and runs you are probably going too slow across and you may be too close as well. Start with a fast misty/dry coat first. Let it set a minute then do another wetter coat. If you can't see what you're doing then change your spray area. I use a different waterbased lacquer and it's very forgiving. It burns in really well.

There are lots of vids on YouTube about spraying guitars.

16. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

Feb 29, 2004
    Portland, OR

17. Lokkochaa

Lokkochaa TDPRI Member

Oct 7, 2016
    Sheffield UK
    Nice to find someone else based in the UK and that sprays waterbased. I used Morrells for quite some time but found it too brittle when assembling so moved to Mohawk/Behlens but they have now stopped exporting, so I too am using GF. I have both the HP and the Enduro-var. The latter I havent used as yet.

I spray at around 34-40 (i need to double check this) psi at the compressor and use a Devilbiss SRI Pro Lite with a 1mm needle, One issue i have and you may too is keeping the gun and needle clean, waterbased clogs the gun quite quickly so i clean the gun out after every coat.

I too struggle to see what I'm doing from time to time. I have 3-4 spotlights above the work shining down and other lights on in the shop, but i cant seem to get them spot on for when im spraying. I'm going to install some sideways lights too in the hope this makes it better.

I do between 12-14 coats (thats once over the whole thing) and then let cure for 3-4 weeks before wetsanding. I have found recently, dont leave too long between spraying sessions as you can get witness lines between coats, and scuff sand between every 2-3 to aid adhesion.

I'm itching to give nitro a go, but i have no where to spray it and the weather outside is not conducive with spraying guitars.

18. Deegatron

Deegatron Tele-Meister

Feb 5, 2014
    Alberta, Canada
    I'm just in the process of getting my spray equipment together and setup..... Was planning to try the Emtech water based lacquer as I heard it was good stuff.... might be worth a look...

19. Lokkochaa

Lokkochaa TDPRI Member

Oct 7, 2016
    Sheffield UK
    I believe it is, another product that doesnt get shipped over to the UK.

20. RickyRicardo

Mar 27, 2012
    Calgary, Alberta
    Take a look at woodessence.com as they are the Canadian supplier. They also have their own brand of water based lacquer which I prefer over Emtech.

Deegatron likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.