Shielded My Tele; Issues In The Aftermath

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by joel_ostrom, Nov 12, 2015.

1. joel_ostrom

joel_ostrom Tele-Afflicted

Finally got around to shielding the inner cavities of my tele tonight. While I was at it I swapped out the bridge pickup (Seymour Duncan Broadcaster for a Lindy Fralin Blues Special). Had everything all clean and tidy, put it all back together, restrung it an plugged it in for a test... and... no sound.

I couldn't figure out what it was that I'd done wrong. I opened up the control panel and all the solder joints were intact, all the wiring was correct. Then I realized I'd forgotten one little thing; while I had indeed soldered all the overlapped copper foil shielding inside the cavities - I had NOT soldered a connecting wire from the shield itself to the ground. But surely this couldn't be the cause of having no signal.

Opened it up, soldered a wire from the shield foil to the ground. Closed it up. Plugged it in. Boom. Worked like a charm.

Who knew? (Surely I didn't):rolleyes:

The only remaining issue is that the bridge pickup seems overly microphonic for some reason.

2. Antigua Tele

Antigua Tele Friend of Leo's

What sometimes happens is the positive side of the circuit will come into contact with the shielding and ground everything out. For example, the shielding will touch those leads sticking of the selector switch can make contact with the bottom of the cavity if it happens to be on the shallow side. It very possible that you shielding ended up being grounded anyway when it came into contact with the grounded control plate.

3. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

I don't think that the lack of a grounding wire for the shield was the cause of no signal. Something else was making contact with ground as Antigua Tele suggests. When you did the last work, you broke that stray contact and re-established a proper circuit.

4. joel_ostrom

joel_ostrom Tele-Afflicted

Upon further reflection I think this is exactly what happened. I thought of this being a possible cause for the issue so I took some of the plastic foam wrapping that the pickup was shipped with and used it to cover the tabs on the pickup selector as I slid it back into the control cavity.

Sorta forgot that I also did that. Doh:neutral:

5. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

Yup, that's the answer. I put electrical tape over the switch and any other positive connection with low clearance to the shielding. You can also put electrical tape on top of the shielding in those low clearance spots.

6. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

+1 on the electrician's tape. Foam that can disintegrate and get into pots might not be the best idea?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.