Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Sherwin Williams LOVOC Nitrocellulose Lacquer W/ PICS

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by Colt W. Knight, Sep 7, 2010.

1. Colt W. Knight

Colt W. Knight Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Jan 21, 2007
    Tucson, AZ
    Hello everyone, I promised to review the SW LOVOC whenever I had some completed builds.

Here is what I think about SW LOVOC - 38$ a gallon from the local SW.

1. The lacquer itself is much, much more lung friendly.
    2. It spray just as easy as other nitro lacquers I have used.
    3. The lacquer itself is fairly dark in liquid form, but sprays on pretty clear. Not crystal clear, but clear.
    4. It dries super quick, and dries hard. I wet sanded after 3 days, and we have a pretty humid climate here in WV.
    5. NEGATIVE It is tougher to wet sand than any other Nitro I have used, including Sherwin Williams Moisture Resistant lacquer.
    6. It buffs out to brilliant luster.
    7. I haven't had any problems with it imprinting on cloth or cases. DEFT is horrible for this, but even the SW Moisture Resistant lacquer is prone to this until it gets hard, generally about a month.
    8. NEGATIVE More prone to blushing than DEFT of SW Moisture Resistant Lacquer.

In all, I am giving LOVOC a great big THUMBS UP! and I am going to continue to use this brand unless I can find something that out performs it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 8, 2010

2. Colt W. Knight

Jan 21, 2007
    Tucson, AZ
    I am not much of a photographer, but of all the pictures I took, these help you to realize the mirror like finish on these guitars.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here is what the back of the necks look like
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Colt W. Knight

Jan 21, 2007
    Tucson, AZ
    Both guitars sound good and play great. But this one really stands out tonally. Extremely resonant, tonal, and has a lot of sustain.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Bud Veazey

Bud Veazey Tele-Holic

Aug 3, 2010
    Lawrenceville, GA
    Colt, thanks for the review. I'd love to buy from my local SW instead of paying for shipping every time I need a gallon. BTW, I've been using Mohawk from Merit Industries ever since Behlen stopped selling gallons. I'm looking forward to trying something that is easier on the lungs.

5. Bud Veazey

Bud Veazey Tele-Holic

Aug 3, 2010
    Lawrenceville, GA
    I can't find LOVOC lacquer on the SW web site. Is there another name or product number?

6. Bud Veazey

Bud Veazey Tele-Holic

Aug 3, 2010
    Lawrenceville, GA
    Never mind, found it. Thanks again.

7. Colt W. Knight

Jan 21, 2007
    Tucson, AZ
    If your local Sherwin Williams is anything like everyone I have ever been too, they will have no idea what Nitrocellulose lacquer is. It is best to go in and say I want T70 C 60, the product number. It confuses them less, and they can look it up in the inventory on the computer.

8. eslover

eslover TDPRI Member

Nov 17, 2009
    baltimore
    Hey Colt, sounds like a big win! and very impressive axes btw.

Can't have a spray rig, so I have to stick with rattle cans :cry:

Fred

9. Colt W. Knight

Jan 21, 2007
    Tucson, AZ
    Check out the Prevail Sprayer, it is cheap and available at Home Depot and Lowes.

10. bossaholic

bossaholic Friend of Leo's

Aug 4, 2008
    Maui
    Thanks Colt! I have SW right down the road from me.

You sure make some mighty fine guitars!!

11. eslover

eslover TDPRI Member

Nov 17, 2009
    baltimore
    You know, I just might have to get a preval...I think they're really cheap like $5.
    Going to look into it.
    Happy spraying! :D

12. Colt W. Knight

Jan 21, 2007
    Tucson, AZ
    Thanks for all the compliments everyone!

13. Angierc

Angierc Tele-Meister

Oct 23, 2009
    East Texas
    Looks like I'll be visiting SW soon.
    Thanks Colt

14. flatfive

flatfive Friend of Leo's

Apr 23, 2009
    Monterey, CA
    Nice work, Colt! Is the shape of the tele-inspired guitar your
    own design? I like it. But I like the SG-ish one, too, and I
    guess that guitar is also only loosely based on an SG?

I remember reading that you wanted to do custom designs,
    rather than just making more teles.

Do you have build threads for these guitars?

15. pontmercy

pontmercy Tele-Holic

Dec 9, 2009
    Central Arkansas
    Great looking customs Colt! Thanks again for posting this stuff. I'm hoping to finally get started on my two finish projects this fall now that the 89% humidity is finally abating! I just got my Mixol tints in and now just need to get the nitro! There is a SW down the street but you're right, they had no idea what I was talking about when I asked about nitro, it got worse when I said it was for a guitar....sheesh! I'll try using the part number this time!

Keep up the great work! You are a wonderful resource and inspiration!

16. otterhound

otterhound Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 14, 2008
    Manheim Pa.
    The local store in Ephrata had a salesman that is well versed in the product . Just lucky , huh ? They did not have the vinyl sealer in stock since I am guessing that they supply auto type users . He does have the satin clear in stock . I don't know why I posted Martin Senour . Must have been a brain lock from the under educated . ;)

17. Colt W. Knight

Jan 21, 2007
    Tucson, AZ
    My uncle called me up out of the blue one day and told me he wanted to buy the first two guitars I built that came up for sale. I told him that I would rather just build two new ones for him specifically. We talked about what he wanted, and how to build them. He told me to just do them how I wanted. So I just scratched out some ideas, ordered parts, and built them. About 5 weeks from rough lumber to final setup. HE still hasn't seen what they look like, I want him to be suprised.

Thank you!

I was wondering about that Martin Senour stuff, I checked their website and couldn't find any lacquer.

Here is just a small anecdote.

At the bottom of our hill is a Sherwin Williams auto paint store. At the time, I didn't know there was a difference between SW stores. Walked in and told the young guy behind the counter I wanted some Nitrocellulose Lacquer. Without hesitation he responded, " What the F@#$ is that?" I said its a clear coat. Well he started looking through the computer, and his buddy went in the back and brought out to metal gallon jugs of super high end acrylic lacquer.

The guy told me he would sell them to me for cost, which peeked my interest. However, cost was 78$ a gallon!. He showed me on the computer that they sticker price was well over 200$ a gallon. Plus it required special thinners and stuff. I declined, even after a good 20 minutes of them trying to convince me that is what I need.

So I went to the next town over to the SW home store. Walked in and asked them if they had any nitrocellulose lacquer. The guy didn't know what I was talking about, and said that the automotive store sold lacquer. The manager over heard and came out and said I think I got what you need, and brought out a gallon of Moisture Resistant lacquer. He said he kept it on hand because custom fishing lure guys buy it to dip their lures in.

When I asked if that was Nitrocellulose lacquer he said he didn't know, but would ask the main office. So he got on the phone and called the head office. After hearing him being transferred a few times, and 20 minutes later he came out and assured me that Moisture Resistant Lacquer is a type of nitrocellulose lacquer. That MR lacquer worked very well, no complaints.

When I was getting close to running out of that, I wasn't convinced I had the real stuff and wrote SW an email. The regional sales rep called me the next day and went over all the different lacquer products, whats available, how to mix color, yada yada yada. He recommended to me the LOVOC.

I went to the Charleston SW, different store, asked for some LOVOC lacquer, and the sales guy didn't know what I was talking about, but I gave him the part number, he looked it up, and went and got it from the back.

So, I trust SW guys about as much as I trust the guys at Lowes to know what they are talking about.

18. Colt W. Knight

Jan 21, 2007
    Tucson, AZ
    Here is the original design,

Black walnut body, maple top, black binding, big ole black sharp porter wagoner style pickguard. The guy who commissioned this one dropped off the face of the planet. All it needs is hardware/electronics, the woodworking is all done.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and this one is going to be a bass, but I have never actually played an electric bass. I am not sure exactly how I want to do it.

[​IMG]

19. Colt W. Knight

Jan 21, 2007
    Tucson, AZ
    Another pickup variation - I post this pic a lot, because quite frankly, this guitar turned out beautiful, sounds amazing, and is being raffled for a good cause.
    [​IMG]

20. Colt W. Knight

Jan 21, 2007
    Tucson, AZ
    Otterhound, how close are you to Nazarenth?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.