Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

She can play bass in my band!

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by schmee, Jun 12, 2018.

1. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Friend of Leo's

Nov 15, 2010
    Texas
    I don't know why, but a few theories:

-A personal "signature" look, á la Willie's bandana or SRV's fedora
    -Something to make her identifiable on-stage; also adds anonymity off-stage if she takes it off. (People don't recognize me when I put on a hat, weird phenomenon...I digress).
    -Security Blanket to hide behind (although with that level of skill, I don't know why she would be insecure)
    -She just likes the look (duh!)

It looks good on her--some people shouldn't/can't pull off the "hat thang".

2. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

Don't mention Jaco!!! It just provokes the serve-the-song fellowship.

3. elihu

elihu Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 24, 2009
    Texas
    Jaco could light up a song too.

Mike Eskimo likes this.
  4. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 9, 2008
    Detroit
    Definition of “serve the song”

5. maxvintage

maxvintage Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Mar 16, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    Just dig it, especially starting at 2:23. You can have bass be forward and still be bass

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  6. maxvintage

maxvintage Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Mar 16, 2003
    Arlington, VA

So I wore out two copies of Jaco's first solo album when I was in high school and college, slowing it down to 16 to cop his moves. I had every single thing he recorded. Saw him live many times. Had a fretless j bass--the whole nine yards. Love the guy

Jaco was a genius but he's not a great example of "would you want this bass player in your band." Guy got fired from every band he was ever in, except maybe Wayne Cochran and the CC riders. Mental illness was a big part of his gifts. A better example of a flashy electric bass player who can do it all and be a good band member would be maybe Marcus Miller. Played in the saturday night live band, played with Miles, led his own band, great session player (that's him on Bill Withers "just the two of us"); distinctive tone and style but can step back. Also he has that scooped mid clank and thud sound she has, which a lot of people like

7. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

It would be hilarious if, in a trad country band (1 ... 5 ... 1 ... 5 ...), the bassist took a Jaco-fest slidin and slappin solo and then without missing a beat jumped back to 1 ... 5 ... 1 ... 5 ...

Mike Simpson likes this.
  8. Mr Scallywag

Mr Scallywag Tele-Holic

Apr 15, 2016
    Australia
    I didn't know Meghan Markle could play bass. Cool.

Sorry, Meghan, the Duchess of Sussex.

9. Jakeboy

Jakeboy Tele-Afflicted

Jul 26, 2008
    Sedalia, MO
    Every bassist I have ever known or played with, that could play like that turned out to be a fantastic “regular” bassist as well...capable of staying in the pocket and holding, propelling the groove...chick is a badass bassist.

twotone60 and JL_LI like this.
  10. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 9, 2008
    Detroit
    You forget one thing about Jaco, for most of his life he was mainly unmedicated.

Plus the majority of people on this board and the majority of people on this board who are judging bass players are not jazz players and/or don’t know what is required of a bassist in a jazz band.

So to say you wouldn’t want Jaco in a band - what band ?

But, as Jaco proved with word-of-mouth, maybe he should’ve been a bandleader all along. Not that a good producer, or someone to corral him when he needed it wouldn’t be necessary.
    But the arrangements on that record are pretty breathtaking. I also really like him on piano as well.

elihu likes this.
  11. jimilee

jimilee Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Dec 19, 2017
    Chattanooga
    Shoot, I’d play bass in her band.

12. brbadg

brbadg Tele-Afflicted

Mar 11, 2008
    Timonium,Maryland
    Kinda tough pitching a bassist to a roomful of guitar players.
    Guitarists don't care for this ****.That's why she has her own damn band.

13. Georox

Georox Tele-Afflicted

Oct 30, 2014
    The tan house in AZ
    Love the way she fits the bass.

14. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Friend of Leo's

Oct 21, 2014
    Florida
    I dig it. Sounds like a pretty righteous groove to me.

twotone60 likes this.
  15. El Tele Lobo

Oct 21, 2014
    Florida
    Oh, truuuuue...

16. El Tele Lobo

Oct 21, 2014
    Florida
    OK. Having gone back and looked at the original post as well as the recommended post #43, I just have to laugh. I may not be the working pro that many on here are, but I know good music when I hear it, and she has a solid sense of rhythm, harmony and melody, a solid sense of time and knows her way around the bass. She also seems to have a knack for arranging, which is a valuable asset in any group. But hey, what do I know? If she showed up to audition for me, I’d probably ask her for lessons…

This reminds me a lot of the post somebody did last year about Julian Lage. People on here went to town on him, ripping him apart for looking so arrogant and full of himself and picking apart his playing. A few months later… I presume after people took some time to really look at the breadth of his work…And maybe see how humble he actually is in interviews…and suddenly people are like, “Julian Lage is what’s up!”

Going to get controversial in…3…2…1…I think as much is anything it’s because these people are young and gifted for their age. I experienced it a lot playing jam sessions and sitting in with bands in the blue scene when I was younger. I was nowhere near the talent of the young ladies in these videos, or Julian, but I had ability and could hold my own with people much older than me. And audiences told me so all the time. Not all musicians were this way, but many of the older ones were very threatened and took every opportunity to mock, intimidate or humiliate me and other young musicians to make themselves look good. The only succeeded in making themselves look like a bunch of jackasses. Many of them never went as far as their talent could’ve taken them because they were lazy, substance abusers or because I guess they felt they would rather reign in a tiny small town scene than risk failing on a larger scale. Like I said, not all musicians I met were this way. There were several older musicians who took me under their wing, taught me things and encouraged me.

Lastly, I know this may seem unfathomable to some, but just because someone wouldn’t work in YOUR band, doesn’t invalidate their talent or mean that I couldn’t kick ass in their own group.

As for me, sure, when I see someone who is 16 or 18 or 20 years old who has more ability after playing for just a few years than I have after playing for half my life, sometimes it makes me wistful and bums me out a little, but mostly I just get stoked on what they’re able to do and get excited about music again. Maybe they found their things sooner than I did or had a family that supported and encouraged them and where is it mine didn’t. It seems some people never learn music is not sports. It’s not a competition to see who is the fastest, the funkiest, the most knowledgeable or the best. It’s finding your voice and doing your thing and learning how to rock in your own skin. It seems to me that the people who are most threatened by that were never very comfortable in THEIR own skin.

Rant over. I’m a guitar player, but I’m all about that bass.

twotone60 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.