Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

She can play bass in my band!

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by schmee, Jun 12, 2018.

1. jaybones

jaybones Tele-Afflicted

She certainly is easy on the eyes.

But I'd be worried I wouldn't be able to fit in a solo...

twotone60 likes this.

2. DHart

DHart Tele-Afflicted

Oct 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, AZ USA
    She is a hot player... and a hot looker, for sure. WOW.

3. jazzereh

jazzereh TDPRI Member

Dec 19, 2014
    Ottawa, Canada
    Would not want this guy to be in my band either...

I posted about the 'snide' comments because without knowing anything about this person, the first [or almost first] thing that many people post is that she's not a bass player. Based on this one video!! Why is it that being critical/snide is far to often the easiest comment to come up with?

Wildcard_35 likes this.

4. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

Yah gotta serve dah song, ken I hava amen?

5. JL_LI

JL_LI Tele-Afflicted

May 20, 2017
    Long Island, NY
    I read though this thread yesterday and today and find some of the criticism unnecessarily harsh. I wasn't able to play the video from the thread so I found it on YouTube. She plays a really good solo. It's rushed, IMO, for that particular piece, but it's her solo to show off her skills. I'm sure she can carry a bass line. Bass players get to play a solo once or twice a night if they're both lucky and capable. It beats being the tuba player who never gets to solo. As for her looks, I don't see that she flaunts them. She just attractive. Most male performers aren't but it seems to be a requirement for a female to be successful. That may be a topic for another thread. I wish her the best.

6. maxvintage

maxvintage Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Mar 16, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    This thread is really odd

Immature little boy? I dunno, I'm almost sixty years old, with lots of musical experience, and have very broad tastes in music as well as competence on a number of other instruments. I've also raised children, paid a mortgage, stayed happily married, worked in my community as a volunteer--I'm not really sure that "immature little boy" applies here.

She is certainly a very good musician, as I said earlier. But I would not hire her as a bass player in my band. I see LOTS of musicians who are much much better than me, but I don't always like the music they play. Tappers, for example. I'm always impressed, but I never want to listen to the music. I can recognize the accomplishment, while preferring something else. That seems like a mature point of view to me, but maybe not to you? Surely it's allowed?

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
    MilwMark and studio1087 like this.

7. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

Apr 17, 2007
    Big D
    I heard Tal on an interview one day say she was originally a guitar player. She had been told a number of times that her leads and solos sounded more melodic and fit nicely within the bass type realm so she switched over to bass.

I would say this lady is the same. I also feel that the song probably was not the right choice for this arrangement but that is in her right as an artist to play it the way she feels. I posted a thread on here one night after hearing a country version of "Purple Rain". Was it wrong, no. Was it right, well that is the interpretation of the listener and the artist. The artist thought it was, I was not so sure.

My guess is she can play I, IV, I, IV and throw in a V or a III every so often all day long. But she also knows her way around a fret board. I would think a three piece with a drummer and a keys player and she can make all the money that she wants.

Wildcard_35 likes this.

8. Bob Womack

Bob Womack Tele-Meister

What an interesting thread. You'd think that no-one here has heard jazz. Some notes:

1. She certainly is an excellent bass player, good enough that I don't think she'd be interested in matching the kick drum in a 4/4 cover band.
    2. She is, in fact, pretty.
    3. I loaded her Facebook page and looked at her photos. Every single one I saw was modest. No attempts to sell herself on the basis of her looks or by sex that I could see.
    4. I'd love to hire her to play in my band (if I had one) or in my studio but I fear that the music I play might just bore her.
    5. Tal Wilkenfeld started out as a guitarist and moved to bass when she got to the USA because she discovered that there were guitarists on every corner, mostly unemployed. You remember that old joke about being able to identify a guitarist on your door step by the Dominos Pizza hat?

Now on the bass side, there are situations and genres where bassists don't simply thump with the kick drum. Don't be threatened by a bass player who in all likelihood is better than many guitarists we listen to. It happens.

On the gender side, she doesn't appear to be attempting to seduce me while playing or in her promotional material, so why bring sex into the matter? Why not return the favor she paid you and consider her to be a great jazz bass player and a pretty lady?

Bob

JL_LI, Alamo, Fiesta Red and 2 others like this.

9. Teleguy61

Teleguy61 Friend of Leo's

twotone60 likes this.

10. twotone60

twotone60 TDPRI Member

Sep 14, 2011
    Charlottesville, va
    This thread is hilarious. So many people are taking the thread title literally, commenting that they wouldn't hire her and expounding on the requirements for bass playing in a band. Go to post #43, go to the 2 minute mark of the video and listen to her slay that walking bass groove - right in the pocket. If you can't play with that bass player, it's a "you" problem.

I would humbly suggest that the more appropriate response to the first video would be, "That's really impressive. She has good feel, good melodic instinct, and incredible dexterity. I'd like to hear her in a band context." Then upon hearing the video at #43, "Wow, she killed that bebop. I wonder if she records any straight ahead rock/soul/funk?"

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018

11. twotone60

twotone60 TDPRI Member

Sep 14, 2011
    Charlottesville, va
    Game...set....match, Kinga. If you care to find fault with this, I'll gladly get off your lawn.

El Tele Lobo and ToneGrail like this.

12. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 9, 2008
    Detroit
    This forum sometimes - it’s like a skit about forums on SNL ( though no one under the age of 40 would know what a forum is...)

13. BigDaddyLH

nice! I hear the Mothership calling.

twotone60 likes this.

14. BigDaddyLH

Am I sensing a pattern? Does she always play sitting down?

15. twotone60

twotone60 TDPRI Member

Sep 14, 2011
    Charlottesville, va
    Nope:

brbadg likes this.

16. BigDaddyLH

Thanks. Next question: always with a hat?

EDIT: more seriously, I'm surprised she isn't going extended range with a 5 string. Not for the low notes but to have more notes in one position, without needing to shift. Given her style 'n' all.

17. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

Apr 17, 2007
    Big D
    Nailed it, drums, keys and her.

twotone60 and ToneGrail like this.

18. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Tele-Holic

Mar 7, 2016
    USA
    True, she might not be a good fit for your Mustang Sally band. And it looks like she already has her own jazz band anyway. The question you might ask is: would she hire you?!

19. Mike Eskimo

Nov 9, 2008
    Detroit
    ^^^ oh ! Burn !

(And I agree )

El Tele Lobo, twotone60 and ToneGrail like this.

20. Mike Eskimo

Nov 9, 2008
    Detroit
    Jaco.

Casts a loooong shadow.

He didn’t need it, etc...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.